Android - Microsoft - Apple, why the hate for MS?

Fightnfire

Reaction score
First off, if this is to far OT for droidforums, please remove and PM me. No hurt feelings.

I've been an avid reader of these forums for a few months now, participated a little and soaked in all of the amazing advice floating around here. This community seriously has some good people in it.

One thing that routinely has me scratching my head is the hate for MS. Not even just here, everywhere. Their business practices aren't really any different from Apple, or Google, for that matter. All three of them are always suing somebody. MS and Apple definitely started it however.

Just to say it, I have a Vista 64 PC, an Apple Macbook (work issued) and a Droid X. Vista wasn't so hot when it was released but subsequent fixes have made it pretty nice. I use it for gaming and don't have any issues. I do OC the hell out of my stuff tho .. sound a lot like phones being released nowadays. From all Manufacturers.

I've heard the hate of the two or three compared to Ford and Chevy, but that's not an accurate argument because they don't and aren't trying to do the same thing.

Personally I would never own an Apple for my home computer. I like to tinker to much (swap parts, upgrade, overclock etc.) and I would never own a Windows phone. They have a place tho, their are a ton of companies run on MS infrastructure. It makes sense for those companies to issue MS phones due to addon mobile software etc.

Where does the hate come from? Is it just "trendy" and the cool thing to do? flame/hate MS or have they actually wronged you in some way? Do you think they are better in the last 3-5 years? Apple? Google? with some things Google has done recently their are some people who think they are heading down a path of control, not openness. How would you feel about them then?

Curious.

PS I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but I never feel the need to spew the venom I see sometimes from some users on here and other places. What is it about those two, Apple and MS specifically that you hate?

mjforte

Reaction score
I don't see why people hate MS either. My laptop runs Windows 7 and I'm not a fan of Apple anything. My phone will always be Android though, that's for sure.

bishoy

Reaction score
well, keep in mind that this forum is a forum for people who are using smartphones, specifically android.... so most of the hate toward MS (in my opinion) is because of Microsoft's smartphones. at least thats where my hate with MS lies...... all of my previous smartphones before my og droid were windows mobile.

because think about it, 5 or 6 years back, the only smartphones were blackberries and windows mobile..... those who were using blackberry back in the day, for the most part, are still using them for business purposes now. and those who were using windows mobile are now using android

and anyone who has ever owned a windows mobile smartphone (or 4 like me) will understand where their frustration (and hatred) towards Microsoft lies.

as for the hatred towards their PC OS....... again, i am guilty of this:
windows XP was the last MS OS that i will ever install on any piece of technology i own. Vista did nothing besides cause problems. Windows 7 is Windows XP that looks like windows vista. no new (significantly amazing) features have been introduced since XP was released in october 2001.... thats almost 10 years. why wouldnt I hate a company like that? i see my friends with macbooks that get OS updates every year with lots of new features AND the OS gets UI updates as well.

just my $0.02

OP
F

Fightnfire

Reaction score
as for the hatred towards their PC OS....... again, i am guilty of this:windows XP was the last MS OS that i will ever install on any piece of technology i own. Vista did nothing besides cause problems. Windows 7 is Windows XP that looks like windows vista. no new (significantly amazing) features have been introduced since XP was released in october 2001.... thats almost 10 years. why wouldnt I hate a company like that? i see my friends with macbooks that get OS updates every year with lots of new features AND the OS gets UI updates as well.

just my $0.02

Honestly, that's what I don't get. "vista did nothing but cause problems" ?? Vista was created because the people who give the most money to MS, businesses not end users, hated the vulnerabilities of XP. Thus a far more secure OS was made. Which yes, ticked off "gamers" because those securities slowed down the OS. There were definitely issues at release but when isn't there? From any manufacturer? vista got bad PR out of the gate and the community/other companies in general used that and it swelled into something way bigger than it really was. IE the iphone antenna issue.

And about Apple, I only have two friends with them both game a little and have far more problems than I've ever had on Vista 64. My macbook has a ton of recurring issues. Especially on wake up from sleeping.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Simply put....this is DroidForums.net, not apple.net, not ms.net. That's why. We are all (well most of us) very passionate about Android and Google, which is why you won't see much on here about anything else. It's because this is an Android Forum and there's no need here for posts about Apple and MS.

Nausicaa

Reaction score
I love Microsoft, its gotten so good. Zune HD seemed like good hardware with bad software and Windows 7 is amazing. Oh and IE9, if you haven't given that a try, its good, like better than stock Firefox good, fast too, I think it runs the acid9 test or whatever it was called.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
At first I did like apple when they released the first iphone since I thought it was interesting that they would make a phone. Then what annoyed me about it was this superior attitude that was there, and its still there. Have you seen" if you don't have an iphone" commercial? I love how the og Droid commercials pretty much said f-u to the iphone.
For ms the windows phones for me have never really done it. Sure the ui looks pretty good but its still not what I want in a smartphone. As for the computers its what I use. Windows 7 ultimate, and it runs pretty well on my laptop that had 64bit vista.
But the one thing I believe that apple does better than windows is the os variations. Why does there need to be more than 3 variations of windows 7? But I guess they're able to make more money this way. But its awesome how if I wanted to I could build a custom pc the way I want it. Oh and one more thing, games. The choice for games on a pc is crazy huge, forget about gaming on a mac lol.

So my choices would be android for mobile phone os, windows for computers, and apple to feed to my Droid lol. Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

grnidkjun

Reaction score
I've had a winmo 6.0 and am still carrying my winmo 6.5 until I figure out what I want next.
I'd like upgraded hardware and am not interested in a win 7 phone as I just don't care for the user interface. other than wanting upgraded faster hardware, I've been happy with my winmo omnia 2.
I've been visiting this forum for feedback and researching issues and preferences for the android as apple is not in the running for me as work will not allow me to install I tunes to subs sync up calendars.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing that routinely has me scratching my head is the hate for MS. Not even just here, everywhere.
Hate is generally due to fear and/or ingornace. Beyond that, there's little point in trying to understand hate IMO. I suspect that many don't feel that they've made the right decision unless they bash the alternatives which seems to be a very childish mindset to me. For such people, their own identity is made up by the brands that they use. The brands I use are tools. They do not define me so I personally don't get this mindset.

I'm no fan of MS but that doesn't mean that I hate them. I have far better things to do with my time then hate every single company with a solution that doesn't suit my needs.

I've heard the hate of the two or three compared to Ford and Chevy, but that's not an accurate argument because they don't and aren't trying to do the same thing.
You're missing the point of the analogy. The point is the blind brand loyalty which you've seen clearly exists.

In any case, the companies do have some overlap. They don't need to provide the exact same solutions for comparison.

Honestly, that's what I don't get. "vista did nothing but cause problems" ?? Vista was created because the people who give the most money to MS, businesses not end users, hated the vulnerabilities of XP. Thus a far more secure OS was made.
My company skipped Vista precisely because of all its problems. We just recently migrated directly to Windows 7.

"Created because" doesn't mean that Vista actually resolved the problems that it was intended to solve. There's a distinct difference between intent and impact.

We didn't skip Vista just because of irrational hate. I think the scope of this thread is really too big for a meaningful discussion.

i doesn't matter where you go there will always be fan boys for each platform.
Precisely. Always consider the source.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
One thing that routinely has me scratching my head is the hate for MS. Not even just here, everywhere.
Hate is generally due to fear or lack of understanding. Beyond that, there's little point in trying to understand hate IMO.

I'm no fan of MS but that doesn't mean that I hate them. I have far better things to do with my time then hate every single company with a solution that doesn't suit my needs.

You're missing the point of the analogy. The point is the blind brand loyalty which you've seen clearly exists.

In any case, the companies do have some overlap. They don't need to provide the exact same solutions for comparison.

+1, people who blindly hate whole companies need to get a hobby...or move out of their parent's basement.