Android Market hits 400,000 applications

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
androidmarketapps.png

It's barely 2012 and Google has yet another reason to celebrate. Over the weekend, Google's Android Market lay claim to 400,000 available applications according to mobile app watcher Distimo.

The App Store has over one million apps so who cares you say? Distimo says this was accomplished in about the same amount of time that it took Apple’s App Store. Both on-device software catalogs reportedly took approximately 40 months to pass the 400,000-app mark. The upward trend is accelerating, and if it continues, Google's Android Market will soon be part of the 1,000,000 application club.

We'd like to also note that the report reveals that Developers are embracing Android faster than ever before, and Google now has more than 100,000 publishers with an average of 4.1 apps each in the Market.

This is great news for Android enthusiast's everywhere. The platform continues to grow and become increasingly popular among developers.

Via: TechCrunch

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
I wish there was a better way to showcase all those apps. Ever since I've been on Android, I stick to the same ~60 apps. When you look at those apps to see related apps (i.e. "look at what others bought or looked at"), they typically point to the same apps or to each other. This is how I typically discover apps on my own; otherwise suggested to me by friends or forums.

Congrats Goog

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now they need to have a $0.04 app promotion. 40 apps per day for 4 days at $0.04 each.

Actually, no they don't, the $0.10 app promotion ate up enough storage *LOL*

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wish there was a better way to showcase all those apps. Ever since I've been on Android, I stick to the same ~60 apps. When you look at those apps to see related apps (i.e. "look at what others bought or looked at"), they typically point to the same apps or to each other. This is how I typically discover apps on my own; otherwise suggested to me by friends or forums.

Congrats Goog

Yes, and no. Frankly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm very happy with the apps I use. I do look at the Android Market webpage from time to time to see the new apps they are showcasing, but I'm a pretty cheap guy. I don't really buy many apps if I don't have a real need for it. Games are the same way. I hate when a game ends up sucking or is very short with no real replay value. On the other hand, when you get apps/games that are good, I don't mind dropping a few bucks once in a while for them.

I am sure iOS users will tout they have way more apps, but I feel Android apps aren't really duplicated as much as iOS apps are. I also think there are better quality apps on Android now (though it hasn't always been that way). The Amazon AppStore also helps things along with getting better quality apps too.

wolstonc

Reaction score
The commercials for sprint say the iPhone has over half a million.. and seeing as that's a recent commercial, how did it double so fast?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

DaWolf85

Reaction score
The commercials for sprint say the iPhone has over half a million.. and seeing as that's a recent commercial, how did it double so fast?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
You're right - it's not a million.
Apple has a total of 694,933 apps on the store.
However, since 151,509 of those are inactive (not available for download), they effectively have 543,424 apps.
Source: 148Apps.biz | Apple iTunes App Store Metrics, Statistics and Numbers for iPhone Apps