Android M preview thoughts from the members of DroidForum

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Google Now on Tap, and Doze.

They claim that a Nexus 9 on M vs Lollipop, the M version got twice as much battery, that's a pretty bold claim. What I'm wondering is why they didn't test this on a Nexus 6 with services activated, that's the real test imo. Majority of Android users are phone users, so why did they test it on a tablet that probably didn't even have data service (if I missed that part lmk).
Doze is suppose to help extend battery life.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been running it since Thursday and I'd say it's ok. I don't know why they're calling it M. It could've been the next version of lollipop
Agree, I compare this to jellybean where it was an improvement over the previous build.

Overall lollipop is good just needed work under the hood and it looks as if M is that. Yeah there are some tweaks and additions but majority of the fixes you will not see. And really I think that is what most of us wanted, take lollipop and give it a full make over under the hood, vs patches, and we are good.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@pc747 I've totally had no time to take the plunge.. from what I'm hearing titanium backup not working yet so I'm waiting patiently... keep my lollipop custom ROM for now..

Tapped by NexusSix

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@pc747 I've totally had no time to take the plunge.. from what I'm hearing titanium backup not working yet so I'm waiting patiently... keep my lollipop custom ROM for now..

Tapped by NexusSix
Cool, I'll leave my nexus 6 be and keep running m on the nexus 5. But soon tibu may be of the past....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No way.. Tibu for life.. hehe

Tapped by NexusSix
Agree. Not even rooted and still used it to backup text and MMS the last time I factory reset my Turbo.

How's M going to help there?

TapaTurbo

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!

If Google can fix all of the bugs, then Android M will make Lollipop a distant fading memory. (I wonder if Google is now going to become like Microsoft used to be... practically every other OS was alternating between good and terrible.)
I have no issues with Lollipop on my Nexus 6 running 5.1 and my Nexus 7(2013) running 5.1.1, both are smooth as butter.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
They really should do a 2 year update cycle. Sad when L is @ 10% market share and they announce a new one. Yay, fragmentation.

TapaTurbo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Doze is suppose to help extend battery life.
I know, but I want to see how it performs with a cellular device. Unless those Nexus 9 test units had LTE connection, I'm under the assumption they were only Wifi version. Plus with how many alerts and notifications one receives on their cell phone compared to their tablets, I want to know how much Doze has an effect on smartphone use, instead of tablet use.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
They really should do a 2 year update cycle. Sad when L is @ 10% market share and they announce a new one. Yay, fragmentation.

TapaTurbo
I agree, and would even suggest a one year cycle.
And furthermore, while it's only my opinion, the OS should be able to be updated as a standalone system, then the device carrier should have their own "shell" system so to speak, that they can update at their leisure.
Then as soon as Google has a finished product, it's available to everyone on the same day.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

TapaTurbo
They do have that.
You get 1 update during your 2 year contract right after you buy the phone, after which the carrier abandons it, then after 2 years you get a new phone with the newest version of Android on it, especially if you're a Samsung die hard. I really don't look for my Note4 to ever see M pushed by my carrier because it'll not get past Samsung.
Other than Google allowing it, Android fragmentation is on the manufacturers and carriers not so much Google.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No, I'm saying Google should release a new OS every two years, not one. Wait until your current OS hits at least 30% penetration.
And many phones have gotten 2 updates. Many many.

Carriers don't push or create updates. Manufacturers do. You know this. Carriers don't care how many updates get pushed. Its not up to them.

If I have to sign a 2 year contract I should get 2 updates. I'm happy with 1. Most people aren't.
Also I've never gotten a new update right away on a phone. Ever. Turbo living up to that, as well.

TapaTurbo

Caesars

Reaction score
The user ability to restrict app permissions is nice..
Now if I could just get Facebook and Instagram to stop bypassing the playstore auto update... It's been pretty sneaky lol. Maybe in android Nutella lol.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, I'm saying Google should release a new OS every two years, not one. Wait until your current OS hits at least 30% penetration.
And many phones have gotten 2 updates. Many many.

Carriers don't push or create updates. Manufacturers do. You know this. Carriers don't care how many updates get pushed. Its not up to them.

If I have to sign a 2 year contract I should get 2 updates. I'm happy with 1. Most people aren't.
Also I've never gotten a new update right away on a phone. Ever. Turbo living up to that, as well.

TapaTurbo

Please no. I personally like the once a year update. I would hate to have been stuck with ICS or lollipop for 2 years. iOS releases a software every year I do not see why Google should have to go 2 years. It is not Google's fault that manufacturers and carriers take forever to put out the latest update.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm all for 2 year updates as well. (or at least every 16 months)
Every other year Google pushed out an update that was extremely minimal and full of bugs.
Gingerbread was nice but Honeycomb was minimal and full of bugs. Ice Cream Sandwich was great but JellyBean was minimal and full of bugs...KitKat has been great and nothing in Lollipop interested me and again, it was full of bugs....yes, there's definitely a pattern here. Android "M" (whatever the name ends up being) looks to be what Lollipop SHOULD have been.
Point is, there's simply no need for yearly updates, especially at this stage of the game. Pushing out an update for the sake of updating is ridiculous and unnecessary. I believe it is Google fault, but that's just me.

S5 tap'n