Android Lollipop 5.1 Supposedly Has a Memory Leak that Google Already Fixed Internally

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
As per my wife... Don't rely on iTunes. Use an external hard drive as well. You can still lose everything if just using iTunes, trust me.

I sometimes forget people are not like me. Every computer I build has the OS drive and a data drive. No other way to do it. Things like iTunes backups go on the data drive. And if you buy a data drive for your PC that is internal, make sure it is quality.

I still have most of my NANDroid backups from my Atrix 4G from 2011.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As per my wife... Don't rely on iTunes. Use an external hard drive as well. You can still lose everything if just using iTunes, trust me.

You can lose everything in a lot of ways. But the rule has always been: keep your stuff in 2 places. As photos are the #1 thing people care about, if you AREN'T using some type of Cloud backup from your phone (iCloud, Dropbox, Drive), then you need to synch your device, iOS or Android, regularly with SOMETHING. And iTunes does do a good job. I don't think the WHERE you store it is as critical. An external drive can die as easily as an internal.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You can lose everything in a lot of ways. But the rule has always been: keep your stuff in 2 places. As photos are the #1 thing people care about, if you AREN'T using some type of Cloud backup from your phone (iCloud, Dropbox, Drive), then you need to synch your device, iOS or Android, regularly with SOMETHING. And iTunes does do a good job. I don't think the WHERE you store it is as critical. An external drive can die as easily as an internal.
Yeah this is all true, but my wife deals with so many people that have lost everything due to iTunes mistakes whether it's software or user error. They preach it but still many don't have secondary backups.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
No doubt Apple has improved it OS UI a lot, but Looly pop has pathetic UI....

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
No doubt Apple has improved it OS UI a lot, but Looly pop has pathetic UI....

I disagree that it is pathetic. It is different. The UI wasn't the only focus for LP. The OS itself, aside from some bugs, is far better than those prior to it. UIs can be changed with launchers. What is happening under the hood is more important.

jondan7

Reaction score
The 5.0.2 Lollipop update to my Nexus 7 2013 2nd gen. has frozen my tablet on the white Google.

'Wipe Cache Partition' tried several times did not help as there seems to be many [maybe around 50] E: failed to mount / cache (Invalid argument) type of lines that are all there the next time I tried to clear the Cache Partition, so I have no idea if the stuff is in fact clearing or not.

'Wipe Data/ Factory Reset' tried several times did not help. Same thing here, like a trusting dummy I failed to backup before this system update since I'd never had a problem before and stand to lose a lot since my last backup... but, I'm not sure if my tablet is formatting to a factory reset or not. Still frozen.

I've yet to find a forum that can help with this problem.
I'd been watching my notification bar indicate I have an OTA system update available for quite a while and before doing enough research I went ahead and downloaded which seemed to have completed fine albeit did see where some folks had been saying the download stopped without completing.

Then the restart to install went well and completed also and on its own began to restart again. I didn't think anything of it...until it froze at the white Google page and that was it. I tried what was in the last post and since February 14 and I cracked the case open and disconnected the battery hoping it would forget it has a problem... and it has not forgotten so far.

This Lollipop update seems to be ruining American's hardware. I've been without my Nexus 7 since the end of February and written an email to [email protected] with no answer as yet. I'd really like to have my tablet back working as I don't have the money to buy another because then what, Google wastes the new one too?

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I just happened to catch an article about this the other day. I don't recall the details, but it sounded like a fairly widespread issue on Nexus 7 devices.