Android laggy problems explained in detail...

ModestMuse

Reaction score
It's a really good blog post. I think we're getting to the point where the hardware will be powerful enough to git rid of the lag without completely re-writing the code.

OP
pilot25

pilot25

Reaction score
I find it interesting they decided they needed to get a touch interface out quickly, due to the iphones presence, therefore having to forego certain enhancements. Something tells me the smartest guys in the room, the tech dept, were over ruled by the marketing dept.

Sadly, here we are years later talking about a problem they knew would be persistent. Hope for the future though.

doublea500

Reaction score
they went to far with a mistake is what i think. they should have stopped when it woudlnt have been such a big deal for a rewrite and then went on, making each android version even better then what it is now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
wow, very good read. Full of info and learned quite a bit about Android and iOS.

Felix 222

Reaction score
A laggy UI breaks the core affordance language of a touch screen. The device no longer feels natural. It loses the magic. The user is pulled out of their interaction and must implicitly acknowledge they are using an imperfect computer simulation. I often get “lost” in an iPad, but I cringe when a Xoom stutters between home screens.

So true. Couldn't have been said better.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
No one ever claimed Android was perfect but i think the positive supersede the negatives.. great read though, very detailed and technical..

EAK

Reaction score
I look at it as ahead of its time programming, ;) meaning it needed the hardware to catch up to the framework programming. The faster the CPUs and GPUs have gotten the less we have noticed these lags.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
We've also just reached hardware acceleration as well, which has continued to improve the experience greatly.

666ogre666

Reaction score
From what he says it sounds like with fast enough hardware it will be a better way to render then iPhone because we will still be able to accomplish things in the background while still moving things around. Or at least thats what I took from it.

s-one

Reaction score
Very very good read, thanks for sharing. It's amazing how the big white elephant was sitting in the room while Google's dev team was rebuilding Android for ICS.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Wow, very good. So basically, if Android does have enough raw power it can run very effectively with the UI and system running at the same time. But because mobile OSs are what they are, it's all about speed not necessarily doing everything at once.

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

305rev305

Reaction score
I look at it as ahead of its time programming, ;) meaning it needed the hardware to catch up to the framework programming. The faster the CPUs and GPUs have gotten the less we have noticed these lags.

Exactly... Yes, Apple's iOS will always be smoother with less hardware than Android but that's fine. This is why we have a fight between all phone manufacturers like HTC and Motorola, etc. I guess by now google has made up their mind in staying the way they are and let phone manufacturers fight for the best phone so they can just provide Android while Apple needs to provide both the OS and the phone.

Paidnfull

Reaction score
The best way I look at it is comparing Android & IOS to PC game developing vs console game developing.

IOS (like console games) is designed to run great within the limitations of the hardware available.
While Android (like high end PC games) is designed so it runs on low end hardware but is best suited for the next best hardware. In other words, they allow the hardware to catch up to the OS instead of dumbing it down. The better the phones get, the better android runs on them.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Briankbl

Reaction score
Lag? *looks at SGS2* I don't see any lag...

*looks at multiple SGN videos*
Ooohhh, that lag.

Sent using common sense.