Android L Poll: What Name Do You Think it Will Have?

What do you think the final name of Android 5.0 L will be?

• Lemon Meringue

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Licorice

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Lava Cake

• Lollipop

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Android L

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-L-google-io.jpg

Android 5.0 is almost ready for "prime time." All signs point to a release sometime this month. From the moment Google shared details about the next version of Android at Google I/O earlier in the year, they have simply referred to it as Android L. This leaves us to wonder what the final "marketing" name will be for the next iteration of Google's OS when it finally does hit retail store shelves.

Will they name Android 5.0 after a desert, or will they break with tradition and call it something else entirely? It's even conceivable that they will simply leave it as Android L.

This makes a great opportunity for a poll! We have a few ideas as to what the name will/could be, so here are a few choices in a poll below.

What do you think the final name of Android 5.0 L will be?
  • Lemon Meringue
  • Licorice
  • Lava Cake
  • Lollipop
  • Android L
  • Other

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have to say I somehow didn't get the memo and was really confused for months. I THOUGHT it WAS L...I never saw a press release that said, "We're calling it L until we think of a name," or "We're waiting for a corporate sponsor," or "We're holding a contest for the best L name."

But common sense helped me realize it was a filler name. Except I'm not so sure. What I can say for sure is that a lot of people will be seriously pissed off if they do call it L, but my gut is that that's exactly what's going to happen.

I'm voting for L. I don't want L. I hate L. I think L is stupid. But I think it's L.

-Matt

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think lollipop will be better than going with lemon meringue pie or Android L, but I agree "it's just a name".
Then again.....lava cake! ~drool~

tap'n on my S5

realged13

Reaction score
I think Lollipop would be the better fitting name. Lava Cake doesn't roll off the tongue quiet well. Licorice doesn't sound appealing, and Lemon would be too long.

Android L would be too boring and would kind of be sad to see the trend end there.

I could see them calling it Lemon.

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Not that I mind the poll, it is fun, but name speculation is just that. There will be disappointments for some in the name chosen just like with Linux distro names. I only care that it is open, works well and is maintained.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Somebody had to do it.

In all seriousness though, after the Google birthday cake with Lollipops on it, I have a hard time believing it'd be anything other than Lollipop.

Oh, so that would be a good call for Lollipop.

I've been saying Licorice forever, but I don't think it's as popular as Lemon Meringue Pie.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

gadgetrants