Android Jelly Bean 5.0 To Launch Q3 2012?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Assuming it will actually be Android 5.0. Why not Android 4.5 or something? Integrate new features into the current OS for phones that support these new features.
I actually suspect Jelly Bean could very well be derived from the idea that ICS was just a transition build. ICS merged GB with Honeycomb and ICS is the test subject to get the major bugs worked out. Once Google feels it has run it's course, we will get JB which will be an enhanced version of ICS possibly with more long term support. If JB brings LTS, this could bring Android to a once a year release schedule similar to iOS which then minimizes fragmentation.

52brandon

Reaction score
"Unveiling" Jelly Bean doesn't necessarily mean releasing it and having it show up in phones. I think they might "unviel" it this year but I wouldn't think it will start showing up in phones until sometime in 2013.

This would give ICS time to mature and end up being used as the OS in most Android phones when released.

Just my opinion though,
I was thinking the same. ICS got revealed a while ago and hasn't hit many devices yet

yusky03

Reaction score
Well, seeing as I will never buy another phone with a locked bootloader, I don't see the problem. I'm running ICS on my Droid X and have upgraded the OS at the very least a few months after the source was released. This is Moto, Samsung, HTC, etcs problem not Android or Googles. My opinion is that if people are not willing to complain in mass numbers to Moto, Samsung, HTC, etc or Root there phone and upgrade then they have no reason to complain. You guys need to realize that the majority of Smartphone owners don't even know what Rooting or even OS Fragmentation is.

dirkbonn

Reaction score
Well, seeing as I will never buy another phone with a locked bootloader, I don't see the problem. I'm running ICS on my Droid X and have upgraded the OS at the very least a few months after the source was released. This is Moto, Samsung, HTC, etcs problem not Android or Googles. My opinion is that if people are not willing to complain in mass numbers to Moto, Samsung, HTC, etc or Root there phone and upgrade then they have no reason to complain. You guys need to realize that the majority of Smartphone owners don't even know what Rooting or even OS Fragmentation is.

Since Moto and Google are now one in the same, how can you say it is Motos problem and not Googles? They're the same company now.

yusky03

Reaction score
Since Moto and Google are now one in the same, how can you say it is Motos problem and not Googles? They're the same company now.

They are still different divisions, Moto is still every much Moto. Google buying them does not mean there business tactics/strategy will do a 180. If that was the case they might as well just make a Google Smartphone Hardware division. Google could theoretically tell them to release updates for more phones though.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
It takes a while for each Android version to make it onto devices. Jelly Bean will likely be no different.
I personally see this as a benefit, not a problem. This way, developers can take their time building in support for new OS versions into their applications. That way, when ICS devices start really getting onto the market in large numbers, most apps will be compatible. The same will be true of Jelly Bean, and all OS versions that come afterward.

You have to remember, not all consumers like being on the bleeding edge like us techies. Most of them aren't willing to sacrifice for the latest and greatest. Most of them wouldn't want a Jelly Bean phone or tablet the moment it came out, because not many apps would support it.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I see this as a good thing. They adopted Apple's New-version-every-year approach with the inception of honeycomb. If anything this keeps new devices up to date with the current Android release while keeping the advancement of the platform steady as well, a win-win in my book.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I know how the business side of things works, but I think that if Google and the android manufacturers and providers would get on the same page with each other, things would obviously improve. Updates would be on time, people would know when their device is going to get an ota. No more people being told " yeah this phone will have such and such for an OS on this month", and no more people getting royalty pissed when it doesn't happen. I know... keep dreaming. It would just make more sense to me. I'm sure there's a billion reasons why that can't and won't happen, the biggest is obviously that the companies all compete for our money.... but I think they could develop a system where the companies could still be competitive with each other and we could have less fragmentation. It would be nice.

Last edited: