Android is losing

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I definitely love the openness of Android, but I must say that once iOS has been jailbroken it's quite powerful. My friend was showing me some things that he could do with his jailbroken iPhone because before it was jailbroken my phone was running circles around his and quite frankly, I was impressed. If only iOS had widgets I might be sold.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Like force extinction of past releases by updating all devices? Do you think all devices can run honeycomb?

{{ WugFresh }}

Definitely not and I do understand what you're saying, but they will fare better reducing fragmentation. Say having a large batch of Froyo based devices and then a new batch of Gingerbread. A new and an old aren't bad, but having three going on four can be a nightmare, at least for developers, They have no idea what market to design apos for, so a much smaller potential buying base. This makes it harder to attract and retain developers. I understand what y'all are saying, but I am also looking at it from a business perspective.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Like force extinction of past releases by updating all devices? Do you think all devices can run honeycomb?

{{ WugFresh }}

Or supporting regularly updating your phone by making contract prices and out of contract prices cheaper so you can actually afford a newer phone (example, TB being $250 under canteac if i remember correctly). But yea, updating. Everything would deffinately help. Its kinda sad when a phone has a rom based off of froyo but is ended updates at donut....

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

Or supporting regularly updating your phone by making contract prices and out of contract prices cheaper so you can actually afford a newer phone (ie, $250 for the TB under contract if i remember right?). But yea, updating. Everything would deffinately help. Its kinda sad when a phone has a rom based off of froyo but is ended updates at donut....

Delete plz.... accidentally his quote instead of edit and didnt notice until i had submitted.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Alright y'all, I gotta get some sleep. It's late here. I will check back in the morning.

I want to thank everyone again for being so respectful and thoughtful in this thread. You've done a great job. Looking forward to reading more when I wake up.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont get the fragmentation argument. Window 7, Windows vista, Windows XP... And on different hardware, Hows this different From google? Maybe the updates are quicker but other than that i see nothing bad. Its all up to the OEM to update their devices. So blame fragmentation on the manufacturers not Android.
Arnt their more versions of macs os? Like Snow leopard and a different kitty.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

Definitely not and I do understand what you're saying, but they will fare better reducing fragmentation. Say having a large batch of Froyo based devices and then a new batch of Gingerbread. A new and an old aren't bad, but having three going on four can be a nightmare, at least for developers, They have no idea what market to design apos for, so a much smaller potential buying base. This makes it harder to attract and retain developers. I understand what y'all are saying, but I am also looking at it from a business perspective.

I understand what your saying and I agree with you, I am just trying to be a realist and ask how you would actually go about implementing that idea... the only way that I can fathom it happening would be to design a way to force hardware extinction (as a means to also force os extinction); however the fact of the matter is that they already have figured a way to do that and that's by locking the bootloader... but no one wants that... so how do you propose they only keep two android releases in circulation... hault development.. ? lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I dont get the fragmentation argument. Window 7, Windows vista, Windows XP... And on different hardware, Hows this different From google? Maybe the updates are quicker but other than that i see nothing bad. Its all up to the OEM to update their devices. So blame fragmentation on the manufacturers not Android.

The windows thing isnt entirely valid because most things that work on vista/7 work on xp still, soon though the devs will start dropping support for xp i think. Also, no one blamed google for that.... to be honest no one was blamed at all, it was more of just stating that it was a problem.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

Or supporting regularly updating your phone by making contract prices and out of contract prices cheaper so you can actually afford a newer phone (example, TB being $250 under canteac if i remember correctly). But yea, updating. Everything would deffinately help. Its kinda sad when a phone has a rom based off of froyo but is ended updates at donut....

Now that is a practical solution. I agree. To bad Verizon killed upgrades.

{{ WugFresh }}

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

I understand what your saying and I agree with you, I am just trying to be a realist and ask how you would actually go about implementing that idea... the only way that I can fathom it happening would be to design a way to force hardware extinction (as a means to also force os extinction); however the fact of the matter is that they already have figured a way to do that and that's by locking the bootloader... but no one wants that... so how do you propose they only keep two android releases in circulation... hault development.. ? lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Just unlock the bootloader in my opinion, if the phone has the hardware to run it then let it but if not then it doesnt get updated. Not this only get one or 2 updates crap.... On top of this get devs to stop supporting older versions, this will either force them to upgrade or theyll have to make do with what is already released....

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

{{ WugFresh }}

Which was stupid... it was making them money by people buying the new phones.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

The windows thing isnt entirely valid because most things that work on vista/7 work on xp still, soon though the devs will start dropping support for xp i think. Also, no one blamed google for that.... to be honest no one was blamed at all, it was more of just stating that it was a problem.

+1

Plus, windows development is very different, its entirety based on supporting old software.... with compatibility mode, dos support, ect... Windows has been built in layers, you can literally install every version of windows on top of the previous one without reformating; from the first windows release all the way to windows 7.

Apple is the opposite of fragmentation, iOS is the same on iPhone, itouch and iPad... they are trying very hard to put everything under one roof.

Android is open and improving very fast. Its very difficult to practically control version releases, without a plan to control hardware releases.

{{ WugFresh }}

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

{{ WugFresh }}

What do you mean by VZ killing the upgrades? :blink: I missed something i think.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by VZ killing the upgrades? :blink: I missed something i think.

They killed the new every two thing....

Oh i gotya. I thought you guys were talking about OTAs. Haha, just fyi guys your getting like 1/4th of my attention. Lol, im playing black ops. incomplete thoughts and apparently not reading is my problem. :wacko:Double tasking isnt a great thing all the time.