Android is losing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by jeffv2, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    By "hack-ability" I ment that the device can be heavily customized without ever booting into recovery or anything like that...
    If one wanted to have a pull down status bar all he/she would have to do is download SBsettings, if someone wanted restricted library files all he would have to do is download it from cydia.
    the fact that the iphone/ipad has dpkg makes it supiror.

Oh and thank you hookbill, you're 100% right.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Z4root has a better chance stealing your data / inserting malicious code.

Jailbreakme used a pdf exploit.

Z4root used some type of buffer overflow or something like that... but z4root had real access to everything & to prove it there have been apps that have had the rageagainstthecage exploit in them and people were stealing info.. I used to hate apples hardcore restrictions on the app store but now I see why they have done this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    So far most of the remarks have stayed very mature, well thought out and informative. Let's keep this going. Thank y'all so much for doing a great job on this.

4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    yes this has actually been productive, as jeff obviously knows his stuff and isn't just spouting off fanboy hate ;)

5. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    Jailbreaking and rooting do the same thing, they give you access to the core files of your device. Z4root just gives you root. I meant the fact that its just soooo much easier to hack a site and insert malicious code into it to brick your device rather than get the code into an app. I think there should have been a red flag when the same app was posted again by a different developer.

And yea, good job on a apple vs google debate actually being civil.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

6. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not gonna say that iTunes is an epic fail but i am gonna say i don't like it at all. If you buy an ipod or a iphone you have no choice in the matter of using iTunes. Its either use iTunes or dont interface your device with your PC. I think this act in itself is an evil thing to do. Its the fact of control that im so obsessed about. What business is it of apple to Force me into a program that i don't want to use. It really feels like like apple is trying to step into MY bubble. They should offer iTunes but not require it. My computer is fine without another program on it...And every time i look at iTunes i think "The Man" is literally trying to get one over on me. I am going to make a car tomorrow and when someone buys it i'm going to make them only refuel at an ilikemoneygreen gas station. Why? Because i can. Simple as that right? Same thing for flash. Why doesn't iOS have flash? IMO and this is strictly IMO i think Steve Jobs doesn't want flash because it would be a way for Devs to side step the App Store system. They could make their games via flash and not even worry about the app store. Thus, Steve Jobs the complete control freak wont allow flash. I as a user dont like to be controlled...i like having the control over my device. I like to control how i put my stuff on my device and all that jazz. And i truly am not trying to be disrespectful as you say in response to the evil posts, I am describing the actions. I see Apple taking control away from me and all the control to them as an evil action. Basically, i will never own an iPod because of it. I find them well built but i am not supporting a company who controls everything and their mother. Just my IMO but i think their are many nerds like me in the same boat. :beer2:

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    I believe you actually can use other alternate managers for your iPod and such. In fact I am 99% sure that someone above said they were doing just that. Apps, yes you have to buy through the App store. But not necessarily having to go straight through iTunes. So yes, there are methods other than iTunes to manage the music on your device. And yes, that is without jail breaking your device.

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Oh and perhaps the Flash issue is the free games. But I know for a fact that Flash is very "dirty" coding and an absolute resource hog. HTML5 is acknowledged as much cleaner, more efficient and just as capable. At least according to my coding friends. So I don't completely buy the Flash being removed as completely a money issue.

9. Jordan8

Jordan8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to switch to an iphone right now, flash definality wouldn't be something that id miss much. Its pretty dodgy on android, or at least is on my phone. I rarely find myself using it, most of everything apple has convinced to adopt HTML5. Which just seems to be a whole lot smoother.

I havnt made up my mind if my next phone will be android or apple yet. Will keep an open mind about it

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

10. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    I agree with everything you said, and like you said, there are a lot of "nerds" in the same boat... problem is, the average consumer doesn't think like this, and that's why Apple/Itunes, generally speaking, remains quite successful. I think this will change eventually, but as long as there is a generation of folks out there (like my dad or my wife) Apple's controlling philosophy will appeal to at least some decent percentage of the population. :beer2:

11. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    +1 on Flash. I can see a benefit for it on a tablet, but having owned a Droid, Incredible, and X, I rarely saw a benefit to having it on any of those devices. It played practically no part in my decision making process - that's just me, though. I'm sure there are instances where it comes in handy, and those that need it probably really appreciate it... though, as you said, I've yet to see it run really well.

12. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Flash is definitely uglier than html 5 in the coding department but IMO that still doesnt explain why Iphones dont have flash support... Why limit something that a majority of the internet uses? Even if Flash was more demanding i dont see how that would be worse off than one of many hd games. At least give the users an option to drain their devices quicker with the resource hog. Either that or if we are blocking intense resource hogs then at least not allow apps that do the same thing. I guarantee my itouch is hotter and battery drains when i play my hd games. They are fun but i dont see how you can allow one and not the other. Give me the option at least...Which is why i think Steve Jobs motives are different then his announced ones. Html 5 is better and i agree is more efficient but it isn't as widely used as flash is. Disable flash when most of the net runs html 5 not the other way around.

Search tags for this page

lg vortex keeps losing conection