Android in the News - Week in Review 4-24-15 [Contest Video]

rj160202

Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

I agreed with Verizon encouraging customers to change if they are not satisfied. The venom that is spit from internet tough guys...who happen to be Verizon customers is laughable. The only case that can't be avoided is for company phones. People moan and groan way to often. They don't switch because they know they would have issues with every carrier

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Video Contest Entry

It's hard to pick one thing to talk about from the video. I'd never watched (listened) to these before, but I actually really liked it. I got into podcasts awhile back and this is done in a very similar fashion. I can get all of the information of the week told to me while I'm making breakfast in the morning or driving to work or whatever. I'm definitely going to be keeping tabs on these in the future, and I just wanted to say thanks for having the contest for this...otherwise I may not have checked these vids out.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
"Video Contest Entry", (bolded just like that).
I switched from verizon a little over a year ago. i would say the only thing that i miss would be the signal strength in down town san diego. other wise the town i live has great coverage. my house actually has better coverage than verizon(they usualy give you mexico roaming charges) the big plus for me was the global data and text. (i'm in the military) its amazing to be able to land in X country and get a text from t-mobile saying Welcome to X talking is $.20 a min data and and texting is included in your simple choice plan. (or something close to it) and then being able to text my wife.

google FI
i want it, i would love to try it out. cant buy the whole family nexus 6's maybe when they add phones (lol we currently all have moto x (2013))
and is coverage for it through sprint and t mobile? i dont remember, must do research.

enjoyed the video.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Both Tommy. Supposedly the phone will pick whoever is stronger, Tmoby or Sprint.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

I agree that verizon has the best coverage, it's one of the reason's I've stuck with them for nearly 10 years and my mother had them since they were airtouch.

what I'm tired of is them constantly trying to nickle and dime people. that being said, you do get what you pay for, and I have service everywhere even when my friends don't I think I've only found 2 places that my friend on sprint has service when I don't.

Project fi is a great idea, hopefully they make enough to start building their own network, if anyone can unseat big red it's google... if this venture is profitable enough they could go that route, probably not, but worth hoping. I also CANNOT WAIT, for google fiber to be in my area.

kocuba

Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

I priced out same plan I have on VZW on Sprint and it was the same as I currently am paying. But I get some small discounts thru my work that I wouldn't get with other carriers.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Video Contest Entry

As Peredroid mentioned - being around a lake was a huge learning experience of just how the beam gets to you.

When the Crew calls, and it's a cabin tour up North, cell towers & beam coverage become clear.

4 of us with different carriers is a guaranteed way to get the facts.
1- has Verizon,
I had AT&T at the time. Currently Verizon.
Soon as the route changed due West from the main Northbound freeway,
within less than 1/8 mile, my iPhone w/AT&T is dead service.
Surprisingly narrow beam focused down the freeway.

Verizon is still going for #1 guy.
Get to the cabin, best I can do is wait for a delayed text message or missed call message if left on the dash, if the wind is going that way.

#1 guy w/Verizon can call if he gets out on the upper deck facing So. out to the lake.
Lake is 10 ft from cabin.
But the cabin sits at bottom of hill/almost bluff like.
Maybe 30ft down in elevation from road, to edge of lake shore.

Get out on the pontoon, and head to friends across the lake, due South.
Perfect 4 bar reception - WTH?
Then tower search begins.

Sure enough, the tower is NNW of the cabin, 25-30 miles.
Fires a beam straight as an arrow SO. at the cabin, but skips across wooded hilltop,
high over top of cabin, straight at the shoreline across the lake.

Go to middle of lake,
signal fades as you're getting under the beam path.

One idea is a downhill flying saucer mounted 60ft high near cabin, reflecting beam at cabin.
Some minor experiments on the ground show 1 bar gain.

As for 4GLT on Verizon & live just North of Twincities, I never see the icon lit up.
As for cost - I find it's quite high for a shared family plan that was recently bumped to 8GB
FOR the same cost as 4GB. Still about $100 each.

Traveling,
here is where is will shred your service to Zero.
Be tornado storm tracking to escape Oklahoma back to South Dakota.
Using Google mapping, and weather radar & still get caught in rough edge of it 500 miles later.

So one has to be clever switching off to airplane mode & back on when needed.
I was brutally bitched out when I got Hm & burned up entire month of service w/i hours.
Cheers.

Last edited:

realged13

Reaction score
Video Contest Entry

It was ok. There is no reason for me to ever jump from Verizon because of price. I want a service that works. You pay what you get for.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Video Contest Entry

I really think the coverage map is a lie. False advertising at best. If you stray away from a populated area or interstate see what happens to your signal. As for the "go ahead and switch if you want bad coverage" comment I think that whole thing depends on where you are at the time. I've had moments hanging out with friends where they had better coverage than I did, but then later in another location I had the better coverage and we never left the coverage map area!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The contest closed at NOON today. Our winner will be announced in our Android in the News - Week in Review video tomorrow, so be sure to watch!