Android@Home Teams with 'Lighting Science' for Home Integration; Bulbs Demoed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lighting-science-google-bulb.jpg

Yesterday, one of the interesting things to come out of the first day of Google's I/O Conference was that 'Andy' is getting into the Home Integration game in a big way. One of the companies that has teamed up with Google to bring about a "Jetsons" home of the future, is called 'Light Science'. They recently demoed their first of many products from this collaboration, and it is an Android-powered remote controlled light bulb. The bulb will probably retail around $30 bucks and a WiFi-to-900MHz adapter will be necessary.

Here's a quote from the Engadget article that gives some more details,
From Lighting Science alone, you'll soon see a light switch, security lamp and a regular wall wart on sale to handle the transfers. In other words, you can pick up a dirt-cheap plug, toss it in your guest room, and immediately give your Nexus One the ability to dictate Android @ Home products. Not too shabby, but what does this mean for the broader industry?

The company's expecting to have this bulb on sale by the year's end, and it'll be announcing five additional Android-friendly products next week -- those include a step light, security light and a few other bulb form factors. Naturally, representatives seemed optimistic that the rest of its product line could be outfitted with 900MHz transceivers (which are barely larger than a quarter) in no time flat.
Pretty soon we will all be able to turn our "castle" into an automated system that we control with our TBolt or Droid. Pretty slick huh?

Source: Android.net via Engadget

Taco

Reaction score
That's insane ... if only we could do it while we were out.

"Crap left the bedroom light on again ... no problem my Droid can turn it off from work!" How sweet would that be.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tycedeano

Reaction score
Hope it's better than X10.

I wired my home with X10 many years ago. It has some drawbacks, but overall, I love it. I'll be very interested in this technology.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
lighting-science-google-bulb.jpg

Yesterday, one of the interesting things to come out of the first day of Google's I/O Conference was that 'Andy' is getting into the Home Integration game in a big way. One of the companies that has teamed up with Google to bring about a "Jetsons" home of the future, is called 'Light Science'. They recently demoed their first of many products from this collaboration, and it is an Android-powered remote controlled light bulb. The bulb will probably retail around $30 bucks and a WiFi-to-900MHz adapter will be necessary.

Here's a quote from the Engadget article that gives some more details,
From Lighting Science alone, you'll soon see a light switch, security lamp and a regular wall wart on sale to handle the transfers. In other words, you can pick up a dirt-cheap plug, toss it in your guest room, and immediately give your Nexus One the ability to dictate Android @ Home products. Not too shabby, but what does this mean for the broader industry?

The company's expecting to have this bulb on sale by the year's end, and it'll be announcing five additional Android-friendly products next week -- those include a step light, security light and a few other bulb form factors. Naturally, representatives seemed optimistic that the rest of its product line could be outfitted with 900MHz transceivers (which are barely larger than a quarter) in no time flat.
Pretty soon we will all be able to turn our "castle" into an automated system that we control with our TBolt or Droid. Pretty slick huh?

Source: Android.net via Engadget

I am going to ask the question every one ask about any thing android "has it been rooted yet"

J/k, i think that will be cool.