Android Hangouts - No Bold\Italics

Sweettooth

Reaction score
This may be a repost but I Googled the hell out of it and it loves to point me to threads discussing the PC\Mac version.

Question is, I'm chatting with an iOS user on Hangouts; they have options for bold\italics and I can see said formatting changes...but I can't make them myself? I'm either blind, or this is an absolute fail. Not to sound fanboyish but really, how does an Apple user have more functionality in a Google application than an Android user?

TatDroid

Reaction score
I use Hangouts for SMS and I've never seen a way to change formatting. Maybe an option with a different keyboard?

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use Hangouts for SMS and I've never seen a way to change formatting. Maybe an option with a different keyboard?

Sent from my Droid Turbo
I wouldn't think it'd have options for bold/italic/etc in SMS, as that's not really a feature of SMS. I use it for that as well and have never seen anything.

As for actual Hangouts messages, you used to be able to use things like *this* to bold stuff and _this_ for italics on Google+, but I'm not sure if that extended into Hangouts or if it's still there.

TatDroid

Reaction score
The OP is saying that that IS an option when an iOS user uses Hangouts for SMS.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

TatDroid

Reaction score
You're right, chatting. Bad assumption on my part.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Could be what the OP meant. Chatting is kinda vague. Neither of us really had anything too helpful to offer so far either way. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Sweettooth

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Apologies. Let me clarify. Chatting/messaging an iPhone/iPad user via Hangouts. I don't use it for SMS. Point is they can tap in the text entry box and get options for bold, italics, and underscoring. It's a small feature, but it's small enough that one would think it'd be universally supported and not just limited to Apple users.

You can find instruction all day for the PC version but as often as Hangouts for Android updates with small bug fixes and changes it's hue of green, they are reluctant to add these features.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for clarifying. I saw the same thing when I Googled the issue as well.

I agree that it's strange, even though I use hangouts more for sms & never really needed to emphasize with bold or italics.

For years, I've simple used all caps for emphasis when typing something on my phone.

I can see how it'd be a nice feature to have though, especially since apple devices can do it & android comes from Google.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Here's an interesting tidbit... I copied bold text from another source into the hangouts text entry window and it appeared bold. I need someone that I can send it to in order to see if it works.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's an interesting tidbit... I copied bold text from another source into the hangouts text entry window and it appeared bold. I need someone that I can send it to in order to see if it works.
Just sent you a pm with my Gmail. I'll play.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Sweettooth

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to mention that. I can copy said Apple user's formatted text no problem, I just don't have the option to make my own. Just one of those little features you don't necessarily need but it's like, why didn't they just take the 5 minutes to put it in there while they were building it for Apple?