Android Gmail App Updated to Version 2.3.5; Improves Performance and Battery Life

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Androids-Gmail-app-updated.jpg

The "geniuses" at Google recently updated the Gmail app for Android to version 2.3.5, and it is available now on the Android Market. Amazingly, this newest version of the Gmail sync app actually claims to be able to improve your battery life, amongst several other performance enhancements and tweaks. One of its newest features allows you to only sync your priority emails, which will allow your phone to use less bandwidth and less power from the battery. Also, the new update includes a slew of additional new features like the ability to set “Show Pictures” for specific senders and a new option that allows you to set custom alert tones for the various labels. Furthermore, you can also now turn off sticky message actions, and the app also has better TalkBalk support for accessibility.

Here's a link below to the market for you to look at it. [Update: Apparently, there is word that this new update also blocks 3rd party tools from accessing your Gmail, which could be a real pain for many users. This has not been confirmed at this time, but you can read this blog-post about it and decide for yourself before you try it: Android Gmail App Blocks 3rd Party Tools

Source: PhoneArena and The Android Market

Last edited:

creaky

Reaction score
It does block 3rd party apps - I heard it straight from the dev of email notifier. Sucks and it doesn't look like there is a workaround.

Also experiencing a bug where my inbox count of unread email doesn't change unless I open those emails from my computer.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
They still haven't added pinch-to-zoom within emails :icon_rolleyes:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Geniuses at google?! They just broke every app that integrates with Gmail out there haha...

droidshot®

Reaction score
It also has messed up my alert tones. I went into settings and it's still checked but all it will do is vibrate.Great Going!!

nateccnn

Reaction score
I got a little over zealous and installed this thing as soon as I saw "Saves Battery". Now I am not getting my emails. Has anyone figured out how to change the settings on priority emails so it just downloads all emails like it did before the update? And what is this "priority inbox" crap all about?

Nate

roboots21

Reaction score
Dock notifications in Go Launcher won't work now .. so much for it accessing Gmail, way to go google!

meaker

Reaction score
Well I guess I'm gald I've been having trouble updating... My keeps saying "package file not signed correctly".. not sure why I'm getting
this but I am rooted dx with liberty .9 and black out red theme... So I guessing that why
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
As a user of FriendCaster Pro, I can tell you this sucks to the -nth degree. FriendCaster Pro was the only Facebook app where push notifications actually worked. I wonder if Google did this on purpose to sabotage FriendCaster.

Perhaps if we flood Google's support forums with angry complaints, they'll unblock third party apps in the future?

griz8791

Reaction score
I found this when I googled "gmail update 3d party apps":

Third party applications and Gmail - Gmail Help

In this answer Google claims it violates the TOS to allow any 3d party app to access gmail. It has a revision date of March 2011, so it may not have anything to do with the recent update that froze out all the 3rd party apps. But if this does correctly describe their view of the universe, I gather they won't be apologizing any time soon for kneecapping the developers and users of Pure Messenger, Friendcaster, E-mail Notifier, etc.

silverfang77

Reaction score
So it seems that they're just enforcing the rules already on the book.

Still, it's an underhanded way of doing things. They could have at least warned the developers that they were going to do this.

And if Google prohibits third party programs from accessing Gmail, then what about programs like Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, or even the BlackBerry, which can access Gmail from its mail client? Will all of these be blocked as well?