1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android Dominates, Windows Mobile Plummets, iPhone Stagnant

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by RickCathey, Mar 11, 2010.

1. RickCathey

RickCathey Premium Member Premium Member

2. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Good article. As often happens, though, the headline doesn't exactly match the content.

With market penetration of 7%, Android devices don't exactly "dominate" either the iPhone market share (25%) or BlackBerry's (43%). It certainly does look like the market is settling into a Big Three unless Windows7 grabs the public's attention and they provide a clear upgrade path for current WinMo users.

My wife seriously considered an Omnia II (WinMo 6.5) over the last couple of months. It's an attractive phone; a big advance over the original Omnia, slightly smaller and lighter than the Droid, and with a good selection of applications (including most notably native Swype.) But the prospect of signing onto a dead-end operating system with no upgrade path to Windows7 nixed that option.

She got her Droid this week and already has firmed up her biceps carrying around such a "heavy" phone. :)
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

like the article; more and more are embracing android. This will bring more development to the platform.
  4. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

But you have to look at the overall picture. Android has pretty much grown into 7% in the past 5 months, apple has been doing it for 3 years, and blackberry for longer then that. When you see a phone system start eating away at the % of others, you have something that dominates. While it may not be dominating the market persay, it's got apple worried, and windows is all but an afterthought at the moment.
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Well, of course it has Apple "worried." But as the author notes, iPhone sales are constrained by their availability only on AT&T. If the iPhone were available on VZW there would be a significant spike in their sales. So why doesn't Apple go to VZW despite the never-ending rumors the iPhone will appear? Well, only Apple, AT&T, and Verizon know the answer to that question, but you can bet it's a matter of $$$.

Furthermore, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is BlackBerry. Their current market share (still growing) is more than the iPhone and all Android devices combined. Though it's not a paramount concern of many folks on this site, the Android's weakness as a business communication platform puts a significant crimp in its growth prospects.
  6. pc747

The android platform is still growing and has the potential to be molded into a device for different users. The iphone is thought of as a "toy", the black berry is a business phone, android is the phone that can bridge fun and business world. The difference between the different android devices out there and the fact that htc makes phones for both android and windows platforms provides potential for more business related apps.
  7. lschicky

lschicky New Member

Android Surges While the iPhone Stalls Out - Smartphone market share - Gizmodo)

There is more info on the actual market-share from oct 09 -jan 10

Rim had 41.3% in oct, 43% in Jan, a 1.7% increase

Apple 24.8% in oct, 25.1% in Jan, a .3% increase

Microsoft 19.7% in oct, 15.7% in Jan, a 4% decrease

Google 2.8 in oct, 7.1% in Jan, a 4.3% increase. (Biggest increase of the market)

Palm 7.8% in Oct, 5.7% in Jan, a 2.1% decrease.

If this pattern continues, Android passes iphone in 15 Months. (April 2011) if I did my math right.... (Apple: .3%*5=1.5%+25.1%=26.6%, and Google: 4.3%*5=21.5%+7.1%=28.6% 5=number of quarter or 3 month time period) But that is only if things stay the same as far as market rate growth share.
  8. Brokn68

Brokn68 New Member

That's one reason we're seeing Apple starting to sue hardware manufactures :)
  9. Detonation

Detonation New Member

It most certainly won't...this is just typical behavior of something new on the market, especially when the share is split among so few holders.
  10. mrtrumpet

mrtrumpet New Member

IMHO, the Droid should really be considered the start date for the Android phone platform. While there were Android phones before it, the real kick-off came with VZWs marketing effort. That and the fact the the broader media viewed the Droid as the first serious competitor to the IPhone.

Viewed in this light the gain in marketshare is all that much more remarkable, i.e., how many of the Android phones sold were either Droids or Droid Eris. I'm betting alot, and all in a very short amount of time.

PS I had a WM phone for the past 3 years. I will never ever buy another MS Mobile product. Total crap, IMHO.
  11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I would guess 90% of business users would find the Droid more than satisfies their needs, perhaps even better than Blackberry when you consider all other features (voice on the blackberries I've had, granted not the newest models, was lacking).

Crackberry users are quite loyal. Give them a week to try the Droid and I bet you get a significant % of converts.

Granted, learning the Droid is almost like learning to use a PC again, which obviously is a pretty big limitation to converting companies.
  12. pc747

I have not used a blackberry so I am no expert there. But doesn't the blackberry have a better messaging and corporate calendar service then the droid.
    I had the Iphone 3g and the iphone 3gs; and IMO the droid blows it away capability wise once you dig into the tweaks.
  13. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I did not care for my blackberries. My usage began and ended with reading the occasional email. I have my gmail and corporate mail on this phone with no issues (everything comes to my inbox, I'm not a auto-foldering type guy). I have both calendar's events synced and showing in Calwidget, and find absolutely no issues there.

I still almost always default to the laptop to send email unless I'm traveling. I guess I need to make the effort and send more emails from the Droid if I ever want to be proficient. In that regard, I do miss the 2/1 style keyboard on the blackberry because the larger keys that would enable would make it easier to use, but I should just use the TTY. I'll have to get Swype working, that looks pretty promising.

Ehhh, whom I kidding? I'm going to start using text to voice.