Android disclaimer

roboblazer

Reaction score
If the millions of phones and tablets being sold with Android loaded on them came with this disclaimer attached, would anyone buy them?....
Consumers beware! This operating system has a 2 week to 2 year learning curve. Operate at your own risk. This software may or may not perform with the hardware provided. Be discerning when loading applications as they may reek havoc with the firmware. In addition, if the app works well when downloaded, expect issues after the update. Do not expect any help from the manual, sales representatives or tech support. If you have an adolescent child, neighbor, or random passer by, you may solicit them. Other than that there's the forums that are hit and miss. Good luck citizen...you're on your own.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
Now, tell us how you really feel!

Are you having problems understanding how to operate your Android phone? Please explain to us what problems you are encountering and most likely, you will receive some assistance.

Under no context would anyone say my wife is 'techno-savy.' After all these years of using a PC (the last 10) with XP, at home and at work, she still has gained little 'technical' knowledge and she has no desire to. Recently, she upgraded to the Droid 3 from an LG ENV3. There has been a steep learning curve, but she is getting better and better at it. In fact, she is now using her Droid and the email, calendaring, and social media apps so she does not need to fire up the laptop for email, calendar, and social media (Twitter, Facebook, SMS/MMS Messaging). She prefers the laptop for web access as she prefers the larger screen, though she has used the web browser on the Droid 3. Though she does not 'push' Android in the way I do, she continues to use it more and more.

I find the Droid 3 (Android) is easy to use. My 3-1/2 year old grandson, (unfortunately) knows how to look for games on the App Market, download and install them. He also knows how to 'purchase' apps. (I've had to make changes to prevent him from doing this.) He also knows where his apps reside on the phone and he enjoys his apps. I took my OG Droid and moved his apps from my Droid 3 onto the OG Droid to 'protect' my Droid 3.

Android is a powerful operating system (O/S). Yes, there is a learning curve. I agree, Android is not perfect and has some flaws; I have yet to see any O/S that is perfect and/or flawless. I know there are functions that I wish worked differently, but if they worked the way I wanted others would not be happy.

Just let us know your questions or problems and the folks here will try to help.

Bob

nbucko

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you bought an android phone and are having a hard time figuring out how to use it? Were you a windows pro the first time you sat down at a computer? Yes android is different than windows. Yes it takes a little time to figure it out. But if you learned how to use windows you can in time learn android. Also, android is a fairly new os compared to windows and Mac os. Not all apps will work well with all hardware. This will get better with time as android develops and as developers find better ways to write their apps to work with android and the different types of hardware.

Sounds like you need to take a little time to figure your device out and try different apps until you find the ones that work for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
roboblazer

roboblazer

Reaction score
No problems here. Love my phone. Been using forms of linux for years and find android easy to navigate. The issue isn't me, it's the millions of non savvy folks who are duped into thinking they're going to be able to zip into it. My commentary is based on my interacting with newbies. Their frustrations, their experiences. I've had people come back to me with their issues because I express how impressed I am with the Droid O/S. As it turns out, with no prior experience, the expectations are pretty high until they try to execute. I'm constantly shocked with the lack of basic knowledge. Furthermore, there's a primal fear of "pressing the wrong button" or "screwing something up" which is rather easy to do (in my opinion), very few folks are willing to read "android for dummies" to be able to find their photos on their phone while connected to their pc. Now I recommend the iphone to some first-timers, even though I wouldn't use one myself.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

nbucko

Reaction score
Ahh, I appologize for taking your post in the wrong manner. No offense meant and hopefully none was taken.

I see what you are describing and find that it takes the right mindset when it comes to learning these phones. You really have to read a person and figure out if they are going to be open to learning or just want it to work how they, in their sometimes limited smartphone knowledge, expect it to work.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found the [OP] quite funny, especially about soliciting strangers and looking to the forums - well said :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk