Android Desktop Environment Query

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by sudo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. sudo

sudo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that HTC's Sense "User Interface" is nothing more than a standard linux OS desktop environment... am I right? If that's the case, do you think there's any chance to get Sense or any kind of homebrewed DE for the Motorola? I'm thinking of going with the HTC despite the lower resolution, slower processor and lack of a physical keyboard (although I find Motorola's Droid physical QWERTY asinine) due to the nicely laid out GUI. Since Android 2.0 is destined to be available for the HTC Droid Eris once they get it working with Sense, it kind of cemented the Eris is for me. However, if a DE can be created by the community, that might sway me towards the Motorola.

For those of you not indoctrinated into the Linux community, a Desktop Environment is the GUI itself; it's a separate entity from the OS (ex. I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 running the GNOME DE).

2. swaldrop

swaldrop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Eris for my wife. I like the phone, but it is MUCH slower than my Droid. I also have no idea what I would do with 7 home screens. I do like the fact that it is a little smaller and lighter though (and the flip clock), but the Droid is far and away a better phone. The screen is incredible when compared to hers.

3. Trip

Trip Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have seen of the Sense interface there is no reason that the Droid cant be made to look similar with the right widgets etc., thats not to say those widgets are available yet. I would also be surprised if someone didn't find a way to make more home screens available quickly.

As to the flip clock, take a look at the "Beautiful Widgets" in the marketplace, the are free and look similar.

Search tags for this page

android desktop environment

android desktop managers
desktop environment for android
desktop environment on android