Android Control?

glsmaxx

Reaction score
Seems android is going the way of our government. Seems it matters not what we want. We have less and less control. I just don't understand how having less and less control is a good thing. I honestly detest ICS. Would someone tell me what is so great about it? I mean I did a factory reset today. I had everything to NOT back things up to Gargle... When I reset everything possible was set to reset clean. No backups should have been carried forward. I set it to erase all information. After the reset all that was actually gone was the apps I'd downloaded. My contacts were reloaded. Everything right down to my Google Play music still being loaded on my sd card. I actually made sure I set it to Erase the sd... That was the main reason for it all.
I wish I'd never spent the $$ for something I have LESS control over than the previous phone I had. I think I'm going to give this POS to the wife and take her X.
At least with the X I can actually manage my files. Man, this is Bazaar! I had to give full price for the maxx on top of everything else to keep my unlimited data plan. If I'd not gone over the cap it would have gone back I should have looked into a $600 purchase much better. I had NO idea ICS was actually a step or three backwards. I haven't been this frustrated in a long time.

jtc303

Reaction score
I used to have the Maxx... FDR'd a few times when trying out different ROMs and then before I sold it on Ebay when I got my maxxHD...no issues, and had total control over my files as well...besides, didn't the Maxx just get jelly bean?

||Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

Reaction score
Seems android is going the way of our government. Seems it matters not what we want. We have less and less control. I just don't understand how having less and less control is a good thing. I honestly detest ICS. Would someone tell me what is so great about it? I mean I did a factory reset today. I had everything to NOT back things up to Gargle... When I reset everything possible was set to reset clean. No backups should have been carried forward. I set it to erase all information. After the reset all that was actually gone was the apps I'd downloaded. My contacts were reloaded. Everything right down to my Google Play music still being loaded on my sd card. I actually made sure I set it to Erase the sd... That was the main reason for it all.
I wish I'd never spent the $$ for something I have LESS control over than the previous phone I had. I think I'm going to give this POS to the wife and take her X.
At least with the X I can actually manage my files. Man, this is Bazaar! I had to give full price for the maxx on top of everything else to keep my unlimited data plan. If I'd not gone over the cap it would have gone back I should have looked into a $600 purchase much better. I had NO idea ICS was actually a step or three backwards. I haven't been this frustrated in a long time.

I am not sure what you did but I have had no problems wiping my phone. If you give us the steps you took maybe we can see where things went wrong.

OP
G

glsmaxx

Reaction score
Maxx got Jelly Bean a couple weeks ago. Why are you still on ICS?

I don't know why I am still on ICS.. It says I am up to date. I am on Bluegrass Cellular.

I don't know what the deal is about the phone not doing what I set it to do. I have done 3 factory resets and made 100% sure I had it set to erase everything. I am not a noon at these things. Not saying that I am Mr. Android or anything but I am somewhat a detailed at smartphones. Let's just say this definitely isn't my first rodeo.
I do not mean to be a butt but ICS is in no way an improvement from Gingerbread. Just look at the problems people are having. When Gingerbread was pushed it was in no way as problematic. If JB is anything as bad I hope it's never pushed by Bluegrass. I mean , for instance, how do you call not being In control of the file system an advancement?

I am through complaining. I have never been one to go on and on about anything. I should have done my homework.. I am either going to learn to live with it or sell this device and get something that actually works.

Have a great day.

jtc303

Reaction score
I don't know why I am still on ICS.. It says I am up to date. I am on Bluegrass Cellular.

I don't know what the deal is about the phone not doing what I set it to do. I have done 3 factory resets and made 100% sure I had it set to erase everything. I am not a noon at these things. Not saying that I am Mr. Android or anything but I am somewhat a detailed at smartphones. Let's just say this definitely isn't my first rodeo.
I do not mean to be a butt but ICS is in no way an improvement from Gingerbread. Just look at the problems people are having. When Gingerbread was pushed it was in no way as problematic. If JB is anything as bad I hope it's never pushed by Bluegrass. I mean , for instance, how do you call not being In control of the file system an advancement?

I am through complaining. I have never been one to go on and on about anything. I should have done my homework.. I am either going to learn to live with it or sell this device and get something that actually works.

Have a great day.

never heard of bluegrass, maybe that's your issue?

||Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear...

YellowJacket

Reaction score
In a way I see what you mean. In essence we have smartphones that are being turned into dumb phones. I think a lot of that can be summed up into two reasons.

First is simplicity. Google and the various carriers want it as simple to use as possible for the average user. The less changes a user can make the better. The more the carrier can control, the better for them because it can be a profit generator for the carrier.. such as tethering. But the fewer changes that can be made by the user, the better it is for tech support to answer questions.

Second is profit. What does a carrier have to gain when one keeps their phone for five years? (other than the profits they are making off of supposed subsidized plans beyond the two year "contract"?) If I knew my Razr Maxx was going to be updated regularly I would be more likely to keep it much longer. They are in fact more than capable to run newer OS's but the carriers refuse to allow it because we probably wont buy new phones.

David

bocabean

Reaction score
I agree with everything that YellowJacket has said. Now being a relatively new member of the root population and having experimented with a couple of roms and root apps, I am getting a better understanding of both sides of the market, i.e. carriers vs customers. It is all about economics. VZW telling you that you have blown your warranty is the easiest way to discourage people from going outside of the lines and where the carrier's tech support staff would not have the ability to address more complicated matters.

They would much rather field calls such as "I can't get my phone to start up" or "How do I get my voice mail to work", rather than "Should I flash before or after wiping dalvik cache, and which slot should I use?"

It really does make more sense to me now and it is no different than let's say you buy a new HP or Dell computer, start swapping out the manufacturer's components, make all sorts of major changes and then bring it back to the store and say "why doesn't it work?"

Ok, so that's the carriers' arguments. On the other side, haven't we spent the money to purchase (not lease) the devices? Shouldn't we have the right to use them to the full potential of their capabilities? While the warranty may go out the door (which is more of a calculated business risk decision) the flip side is how much better use can you get by customizing it in a way that truly fits YOUR needs and not the carriers. So I applaud all of the developers that dig deep into the OS of the devices and come up with new ways to get more service life out of them. I am confident that I will now get much more life out of my Maxx than VZW had intended. Besides, isn't that the whole point to the Android platform...open source?dancedroid

newbroot83

Reaction score
You are still on ICS for the same reason my stock is ICS. Our little ky providers don't exist to Motorola. Well prolly get it next year. So do as I have done, and root it, throw on safe strap, and flash cm10.1. Works like a charm

newbroot83

Reaction score
Here is my stock photos and my cm10.1

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130509_103744.png
    ForumRunner_20130509_103744.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 207
  • ForumRunner_20130509_103758.png
    ForumRunner_20130509_103758.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 220
  • ForumRunner_20130509_103808.png
    ForumRunner_20130509_103808.png