Android Chief Indicates Google I/O 2013 to Focus on Developers, Not New Products

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sundarpichai.jpg

For those of us excited by the prospect of seeing new gadgets launched at Google I/O this year, we might be sadly disappointed. Sundar Pichai, the new Chief of Android recently attempted to quash some of the rumor-mill regarding Google I/O this year. According to him, this year's developer conference will focus on developers and not new products.

Based upon this and some additional intel we gathered, it looks like we will not be seeing the launch of the X Phone or the Nexus 5. It looks like Google and/or Motorola are planning a separate event(s) later in the year for those devices. It is still possible we will see a new Nexus 7 device at Google I/O 2013. We also will likely see more details about the evolution of Google Glass, but as far as new devices are concerned, we will likely have to wait. :sad-b:

Despite this, we can't forget that Google is a software company primarily, and there is still a ton of great innovation they will share on that front. This year's schedule is packed full of intriguing sessions and developer workshops, so stay tuned over the next few days as we bring you news as fast as we get it.

In the mean-time, Wired Magazine had a full interview with Mr. Pichai, in which he discussed a great many things beyond just the Google I/O 2013 stuff. You can check it out here: New Android Boss Finally Reveals Plans for World's Most Popular Mobile OS | Wired Business | Wired.com

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My fingers are still crossed for the N7, but given that it's not estimated to ship until July, it wouldn't surprise me if there were no news about it this week.

-Matt