1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android 'camera disable' app?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Goober, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Goober

Goober New Member

I have been trying to figure out how to remove the camera from my Droid, but from what I see on phonewreck.com, it is about impossible to do without leaving telltale signs of tampering.

Is it possible to write an app to do "lock out" or disable the camera feature? Who would I talk to about doing this (I have never written a program and wouldn't know where to begin to start)? It would be a great thing for people who work in places that have restrictions on camera phones.
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Other than for taking the droid into a secure facility why would you want to do this?
  3. Goober

Goober New Member

This is exactly why I would do this.
  4. Backnblack

Most places I deal with won't allow a phone with a camera no matter what you do. My work flip has no camera just for that reason.....
  5. Goober

Goober New Member

We have to have it disabled in some fashion. My old BB Storm had it physically removed. Security cleared it (we have a "smart phone" clause in our security regulations).

Can one remove the software that runs the camera without having an adverse effect on the rest of the OS?
  6. Backnblack

One of the urber geeks will have to help out with that....
  7. Goober

Goober New Member

That's what I'm hoping for.
  8. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Try the McGyver method. Cover it with black electrical tape and then put a black hard plastic case on it. I have seen that one work.
  9. Goober

Goober New Member

I am looking for something that will bring up a "Camera failed to initialize" error, if it is ever checked. No tape.
  10. Backnblack

Good way to get fired...or have your company contract pulled.
  11. ldimick

ldimick New Member

hehehe I understand. My brother works in a HIGH security place too. The guards have M16s and have permission/instructions to use them. He has a Droid and has the same problem. He just told work to find him the solution they want and he leaves his phone in the car.

Most places like that also have problems with phones that will do voice recording, use SD cards and particularly with GPS and wifi.
  12. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Not if they accept it. In writing, of course.
  13. Backnblack

Not going to happen in a High Security Area or an Area that requires TSC to enter.
  14. ldimick

ldimick New Member

No, it won't. But I worked for a company that thought they had a lot of valuable intellectual property and they had restrictions on cell phones with cameras. Several customers also had the same restrictions. as long as people were up front about it we, and our customers, had no problem with this approach. I don't recall the OP saying it was TSC
  15. Goober

Goober New Member

I have read about "Rooting". Would that give me access to the camera software, in order to delete it?
  16. ldimick

ldimick New Member

It would give you access but it is potentially opening a huge can of worms. What would happen if you used an app that made a call to the software and the software was gone? Your best bet would be to find a way to remove the icon and disable the camera button. If that is acceptable to your powers that be.
  17. mlambert890

mlambert890 New Member

I need to do the exact same thing. I would also expand the inquiry to just a general "how the heck do you disable or remove *any* service you don't want in Android?"

Starting with the need to kill the camera, it got me wondering just how would I slim down a build at all? In WinMo you can pretty easily control what is starting up in the registry and can prevent apps from running as well. This can be done by an administrator with policy through various mechanisms.

Every thread I've dug up regarding doing this in Android kind of devolves the way this one has to "why do you want to do that?" "you dont need to do that" "do this instead"

Just assume that if someone is asking, they need to do it. I'm guessing that the answer is it just can't be done? Or it is difficult enough that no one seems to know?

If so, thats kind of a shame. None of this is hard to do on the iPhone or on WinMo and can be actually accomplished with Exchange Server security policy on both of those devices (and of course it goes without saying on RIM)
  18. Goober

Goober New Member

DING DING DING!!!!

I also get the "If you can't have the camera, then why have the phone" response. Crackberry wasn't any help with my Storm, so I had to go through and remove the camera myself. No I have a little "inside hobby" of removing cameras for people that I work with ($20 a pop for BB Strom 1 AND 2).
  19. Backnblack

I totally understand why you Need to do this......
  20. zathus

zathus New Member

well, if this were me and I needed to disable my camera, first id root my phone, get busybox and flash a recovery image, do a nandroid backup. then go in to the /system/app area. find the camera.apk file, make a copy so you have one if needed, put in on the SD card then delete the app in system.

do the backup in case things dont work as planed =) in theory removing the app SHOULD disable the camera ability's with out doing any real damage to the phone. just make sure you have no other apps that use the phone, IE a barcode scanner ext then explain what you did to whoever clears these things for you
Search tags for this page
android camera blocker

android camera disable

android disable camera

disable android camera

disable camera android

disable camera on android
disable camera on droid
how to disable android camera
how to disable android camera off

how to disable camera on android

how to disable camera on tablet