Android Auto Finds Initial Support in Vehicles from 28 Brands

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-auto.jpg

One of the big announcements at Google I/O yesterday was Android Auto. This is Google's new Android OS for Infotainment systems in cars, which is designed to piggy-back off of your existing Android device and have them work in tandem. One of the claims during the presentation was that Google had already secured contracts with 28 different vehicle manufacturers, but they didn't detail which ones.

We have that info now:
  • Abarth
  • Acura
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Audi
  • Chevrolet
  • Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Fiat
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Infiniti
  • Jeep
  • Kia
  • Mazda
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Opel
  • Ram
  • Renault
  • Seat
  • Skoda
  • Subaru
  • Suzuki
  • Volkswagen
  • Volvo
  • Maserati
  • Bentley
What's really intriguing about the names on this list is that several of them have already committed to Apple's version of this called CarPlay. This suggests that in the near future, if you purchase a product from certain manufacturers, you will get a choice of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Here are the names that correspond between the two: Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Subaru, or a Suzuki.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-auto.jpg

One of the big announcements at Google I/O yesterday was Android Auto. This is Google's new Android OS for Infotainment systems in cars, which is designed to piggy-back off of your existing Android device and have them work in tandem. One of the claims during the presentation was that Google had already secured contracts with 28 different vehicle manufacturers, but they didn't detail which ones.

We have that info now:
  • Abarth
  • Acura
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Audi
  • Chevrolet
  • Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Fiat
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Infiniti
  • Jeep
  • Kia
  • Mazda
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Opel
  • Ram
  • Renault
  • Seat
  • Skoda
  • Subaru
  • Suzuki
  • Volkswagen
  • Volvo
  • Maserati
  • Bentley
What's really intriguing about the names on this list is that several of them have already committed to Apple's version of this called CarPlay. This suggests that in the near future, if you purchase a product from certain manufacturers, you will get a choice of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Here are the names that correspond between the two: Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Subaru, or a Suzuki.

What about those with mixed households?

Hopefully they allow an option to interchange them.

5e030a0efbdfa7608940e981e06abbb1.jpg

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
What about Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche?!?!?
Without those, it doesn't cover ANY of my cars!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I want to know about aftermarket brands. I'm not going to buy a new WRX just for a new stereo....wait a minute....I may be willing to buy a new STi though =D. But no really, I want aftermarket brands.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I want to know if you can update your car software to take advantage of it. I just got a 2014 Honda and hope there's something that would update the software.

irongun324

Reaction score
What about those with mixed households?

Hopefully they allow an option to interchange them.

5e030a0efbdfa7608940e981e06abbb1.jpg

Off-topic: I've been looking for a good house divided picture like this. Not sure if I want shirts or stickers, but someone needs to do this.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now if only they get Android in toasters...

I shall definitely be rooting my car, I can tell you that much.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I want to know about aftermarket brands. I'm not going to buy a new WRX just for a new stereo....wait a minute....I may be willing to buy a new STi though =D. But no really, I want aftermarket brands.

Same here...I'd love for this to be in a line of Kenwoods or Pioneers or something, and just pop that into my existing vehicle. I don't wanna have to buy a car just for it. I had a Kenwood DNX series touchscreen stereo in my car at one point and love that thing...had the Bluetooth built in, navigation, etc...all in one unit.

Now with this able to interface directly with the Android phones...that would be great.