Android Auto Comes to Hyundai

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
P1011715.jpg

Well here is some pretty cool news from the automotive world regarding our favorite OS. Hyundai just announced that all 2015 Sonatas with the Navigation package (which I would assume is extra) can now get Android Auto installed! Once installed, it adds an "Android Auto" button to the normal Hyundai entertainment/navi system. Press that button and the car blocks out your phone forcing you to use the in-dash system to send a text or play music. Being Android people around here, we know how well Google Now could handle this and it makes a lot of sense from a safety standpoint.

The thing that really kind of blew my mind is that Hyundai is offering it to people even if you already bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. You can just login to the Hyundai website, download a file to a USB memory stick and plug that in to your radio.

"Would you like to install Android Auto?"

This surprises me because so many car companies won't let you do any tinkering to your car without a dealer visit. That's pretty cool, Hyundai.

SOURCE: Engadget

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not even joking, I just got done looking at prices on 2015 Sonatas. Lease deal for $179/mo and $2K down.
Hmmmmm...

My god I guess I am a fanboi... basing a car buying decision on ANDROID!??!?!?!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hyundai has come a long way. Looked at a Genesis sedan to replace the Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Rented a 2014 Sonata last year when my vehicle was in the shop. While they have come a long way, it's still not a vehicle I would buy. Shutting the door had that cheap feel/sound to it and the road noise in the cabin is terrible when driving over 50mph. They've definitely come a long way, but it still had a cheap feel to it. The Genesis however is really sweet....it's their top of the line model and I was really impressed with that one.

S5 tap'n

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The good news? You have Android Auto! The bad news? You are driving a Hyundai!

Winning and losing..............

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Android Auto

Apparently coming to EVERY car?!?!
Look at the bottom of that page.

Of course that will probably get here as fast as:
  • Lollipop for Turbo
  • Ingress for Android Wear

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd never own a Hyundai, not because they are bad cars (any more) but because I'm a Subaru fanboy. <3 my WRX. When Android Auto head units come down from their astronomical prices, I may consider replacing my existing Pioneer head unit. The connection would also have to be over bluetooth. I don't want to have to plug my phone in.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I can't seem to even find AA had units. I read that Panasonic is making one but... Panasonic doesn't make car audio...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Rented a 2014 Sonata last year when my vehicle was in the shop. While they have come a long way, it's still not a vehicle I would buy. Shutting the door had that cheap feel/sound to it and the road noise in the cabin is terrible when driving over 50mph. They've definitely come a long way, but it still had a cheap feel to it. The Genesis however is really sweet....it's their top of the line model and I was really impressed with that one.

S5 tap'n
Actually the Equus is their top of the line but... Yeah the Genesis shows off what they can do. I'm not saying they are great cars but they have come a long way and for the money are a pretty good value.

Last edited:

Tator

Reaction score
Love my 2015 Sonata. Just too bad android auto and the LG G3 dont work together