Android Apps not available for the iPhone

MontyMo

Reaction score
Help me out. I'm tired of snarkie iPhone users saying, "It's not available on the Android." I would like a LONG list of apps not available on the iPhone.

Here are a couple I use:

Google Maps
Gesture Search
Google Earth
Google Sky Map

There must be more. What can you come up with?

Monty

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The iphone is an app machine. That is their forte. The droid does other things very well like customize and wifi tethering. I know a guy with a jail-broken iphone and he is tech savy. And he wants a droid because a jail-broken iphone can not touch a rooted droid.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Help me out. I'm tired of snarkie iPhone users saying, "It's not available on the Android." I would like a LONG list of apps not available on the iPhone.

Here are a couple I use:

Google Maps
Gesture Search
Google Earth
Google Sky Map

There must be more. What can you come up with?

Monty

Google Maps and Earth is actually on the iPhone...

Google Voice
Live Wallpapers
Google Navigation (Best thing about Android IMO)
Voice Search (Voice Control on iPhone is terrible)
Gameboid (almost emulator for that matter, for iPhone it must be jailbroken)
Full Gmail Support (Labels and everything)
Google Shopper (iPhone has similar apps but this is the best IMO)
Gallery App on Android (2.1) is phenomenal
Widgets
Google Translate

That's all I can think of, top of my Head

krazykarl

Reaction score
Locale or, for that matter, any app that relies on running in the background to be useful.

3rd party browsers aren't allowed by apple. (the best someone can do is open a safari window inside their app)

For the most part, the only android apps that won't be on the iphone (or atleast have a pretty close counterpart) are apps that apple won't allow. So anything that duplicates functionality performed by a built-in apple app, (like music players, browsers, phone dialers, etc) or anything that needs to be able to multitask (like locale).

Also, the iPhone has no answer for widgets, which are immensly useful IMO.

superglen99

Reaction score
You know whats funny? When you say something to an iphone user/fanboy like the iphone doesn't run widgets and doesnt multitask. You know what they say back? I don't care about widgets and dont need to multitask. You know what I say? That sounds like something someone with a phone who cant do those things would say. PWNED

Palmyra

Reaction score
For me the real question is what functionality is not available on one or the other. On both systems there is a lot of overlap within the apps available.

I've yet to see a killer app on either. That is with the exception navigation on my droid. It is not as good as my car's GPS but then again I can't take that GPS with me when walking. Really looking forward to using it when biking.

rushmr2

Reaction score
Come on guys you're missing some basics

Handcent
Swype
Already mentioned but google nav, talk, and voice
Droidlight
Car Home
Beautiful widgets

Those are the few off the top of my head

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know whats funny? When you say something to an iphone user/fanboy like the iphone doesn't run widgets and doesnt multitask. You know what they say back? I don't care about widgets and dont need to multitask. You know what I say? That sounds like something someone with a phone who cant do those things would say. PWNED

And when an iPhone user points out they can surf the web and talk at the same time what do you say?

"I look for a wifi hotspot." ?

KevinJ

Reaction score
Given the recent thread around here about Apple's complete control over the apps, I would say that iPhone users won't have any "adult-oriented" apps.:icon_ devil:

Palmyra

Reaction score

And when an iPhone user points out they can surf the web and talk at the same time what do you say?

"I look for a wifi hotspot." ?

I would love to know what percentage of the time this is done.