Android Apps Caught Sending GPS Info to Advertisers

Big Ry

Reaction score
Come on people! Use you're head. No one is spying on u or listening to your conversations. The feds are sitting on the corner waiting to bust you for rooting your phone. No one cares where u are or what u talk about. The tracking is simply so the advertising agencies can target the right demographic. Haven't u noticed the ads on your Facebook page ate geared toward what you search for? Its the same thing...and that's all it is. Furthermore the GPS technology in our phones is not nearly precise enough for anyone to literally track u down...stop being so paranoid. Ignore the ads and move on...

Sent from my PC using dial-up

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

i.e., it doesn't matter to me how or why tracking is being done. I resist. I will not get over it. If you do not care, and/or have gotten over it, then you have nothing of value to say to me on the matter.

Be seeing you...

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

i.e., it doesn't matter to me how or why tracking is being done. I resist. I will not get over it. If you do not care, and/or have gotten over it, then you have nothing of value to say to me on the matter.

Be seeing you...

what he said ^^^

and our phones' gps is accurate to a couple feet

Cunha

Reaction score
I agree with Ghost.

Big Ry..if you read through this thread you would see that what you just said has been said more than once already. We understand all of that. We want to do what is possible. There is no reason to allow 3rd parties to have access to our information. Sure the the govenrment or VZW can spy on us if they wanted to, but that should complete the list, if possible.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Furthermore the GPS technology in our phones is not nearly precise enough for anyone to literally track u down...stop ...

It actually shows which part of my house i am in when i check on google maps. But yeah, i dont think they are using it to find me lol.

When i download an app, i check its permissions, if its a ringtone app asking for permission to my phone contacts, GPS (fine) location, or browsing history, etc, i pass, and look for another app, if they all want unneeded info, i simply choose not to install.

They can only have what you give them access to. But i would like to get my hands on the app they used to check which apps were the offenders.

Cunha

Reaction score
I am surprised there is not a root app that allows the end user (us) to block that information. They have access if they can get it..kind of thing.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Furthermore the GPS technology in our phones is not nearly precise enough for anyone to literally track u down...stop ...

It actually shows which part of my house i am in when i check on google maps. But yeah, i dont think they are using it to find me lol.

When i download an app, i check its permissions, if its a ringtone app asking for permission to my phone contacts, GPS (fine) location, or browsing history, etc, i pass, and look for another app, if they all want unneeded info, i simply choose not to install.

They can only have what you give them access to. But i would like to get my hands on the app they used to check which apps were the offenders.
Best I've gotten is somewhere in my apartment complex, worst was a couple city blocks off. I've tested it in Philly, Baltimore, Newark,de , and Blacksburg va. But even the specs say its not accurate to a couple feet...

Big Ry

Reaction score
I agree with Ghost.

Big Ry..if you read through this thread you would see that what you just said has been said more than once already. We understand all of that. We want to do what is possible. There is no reason to allow 3rd parties to have access to our information. Sure the the govenrment or VZW can spy on us if they wanted to, but that should complete the list, if possible.
Its been said but no one seems to get it. People are too paranoid over nothing.

Noobie

Reaction score
any apps to block private information being sent out . why do games and other apps need axcess to address book, contact list, account info. othe rthan alerting user to an availabe update ?

Noobie

Reaction score
Yes i understand anyone who wants to can track you (gov. verizon etc..) but i think the theme seems to be that every game, widget, tool,etc. does more than just alert user to update. people should have the right to block contact list, emi number, myspace , facebook info if they desire and yes we can chose to not download and install the app if we see that we do not want to give it the permissions listed but many access it with out notifying user or giveing leveled permissions. (min., or full settings would be nice)whether harmless or not is not the issue. someone could harmlessly walk thru your house or apt. but would you want them to without your permission.

Last edited:

Cunha

Reaction score
Yeah there is just no reason that a cheap jewel game needs access to my contact information. Ridiculous.

So yes, I am surprised there are no root applications to block this kind of access. It might be called "Access control" or something.

Noobie

Reaction score
how can this suggestion to limit private info (pics, passwords, phone serial # contact list, etc) be sent to googles development team. if enough people send e-mails they might included it in an update.

Last edited: