Android Apps Caught Sending GPS Info to Advertisers

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by importune, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Cunha

Cunha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want applications wasting my juice sending out information I don't want sent out.

So, where is the app for blocking apps from sending data? For example, a free game I downloaded that also decides that it wants to take some info from my phone.

Seems simple enough.

2. Vikam

Vikam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does it matter, no matter how hard you try...with apps or without apps someone would still be able to track you...it being government, provider or others.....the only way to prevent being tracked is not having any cell phones, credit cards......but shhhhh, dont tell the government because next they might install tracking card into people.....common people, there is really no way of not being tracked.:icon_eek:

3. Cunha

Cunha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I assume the government can track me with a cell phone, or Verizon wireless. What I want to do is reduce the number of people tracking me and reduce the number of people that have access to information on my cell phone needlessly. Joe Shmo who happens to be a decent programmer..whatever.

There IS a way to not be tracked by people that have no business seeing what you are up to.

Honestly, why does the point keep coming up? There is no reason not to protect yourself as much as possible. Do you want all of your friends phone numbers and names given to whoever the hell wrote that crappy app you had installed for 20 minutes? There is no reason for that to happen. Take care of your information as it has value to some people and you are giving it away for free by being careless about it.

4. Vikam

Vikam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course there is no reason not to try and protect yourself as much as possible, and if you know what apps that will do this to you, then dont install them, my main point is that no matter how hard to try and do that and no matter how much protection you have for it, someone will allways find a way in if they really want or need to.

5. Cunha

Cunha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Point taken. Now, we agreethat if the Gov't wanted to find us, or verizon had some reason to see what we were up to, they could. We can now move on and discuss how we can keep lesser entities from having access to our information when we don't want them to. y.

6. jcorvan

jcorvan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not like the idea of my location and private information sent to advertisers.
    Everywhere we look some corporation is pushing an ad or some propaganda about themselves into our face.

I would like to limit the amount of control and manipulation that corporations have over me. If they want to collect this private info, then we should be able to monitor their private information. This fact gathering puts the population in a weak position. In a way it is like brain washing, mind control.

I feel they are taking my information to try to manipulate my life. I can resist this, but that is not the point. The point is they should not be allowed access to this information.

7. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Come on people! Use you're head. No one is spying on u or listening to your conversations. The feds are sitting on the corner waiting to bust you for rooting your phone. No one cares where u are or what u talk about. The tracking is simply so the advertising agencies can target the right demographic. Haven't u noticed the ads on your Facebook page ate geared toward what you search for? Its the same thing...and that's all it is. Furthermore the GPS technology in our phones is not nearly precise enough for anyone to literally track u down...stop being so paranoid. Ignore the ads and move on...

Sent from my PC using dial-up

8. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Ratings:
    +14
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

i.e., it doesn't matter to me how or why tracking is being done. I resist. I will not get over it. If you do not care, and/or have gotten over it, then you have nothing of value to say to me on the matter.

Be seeing you...

9. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    what he said ^^^

and our phones' gps is accurate to a couple feet

10. Cunha

Cunha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ghost.

Big Ry..if you read through this thread you would see that what you just said has been said more than once already. We understand all of that. We want to do what is possible. There is no reason to allow 3rd parties to have access to our information. Sure the the govenrment or VZW can spy on us if they wanted to, but that should complete the list, if possible.

11. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It actually shows which part of my house i am in when i check on google maps. But yeah, i dont think they are using it to find me lol.

When i download an app, i check its permissions, if its a ringtone app asking for permission to my phone contacts, GPS (fine) location, or browsing history, etc, i pass, and look for another app, if they all want unneeded info, i simply choose not to install.

They can only have what you give them access to. But i would like to get my hands on the app they used to check which apps were the offenders.

12. Cunha

Cunha Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised there is not a root app that allows the end user (us) to block that information. They have access if they can get it..kind of thing.

Search tags for this page

android block app gps

android prevent app from using gps

app to prevent android apps from using gps in background
give me gps location for this phone number 228343 6167
how do i stop the aps on my phone from sending out informati
how to disable gps tracking on android galaxy s3
stop android gps tracking app