Android Application Tasker

ty_

Reaction score
This really interests me. I don't wanna pay 7 dollars for it but i'll search for a cracked.

That article made it sound sooooo high-end. I really just need to try it for like...ever.

Has anyone bought it? Any cool combinations that you've made?

fedrich519

Reaction score
RW1, I saw that same article on Lifehacker and have been having techgasms ever since. LOL I have never been more amazed by an Android program like I am with this one. The $6 is a steal for what this thing can do. I would have paid $20 for it I like it so much. It can literally make your phone do whatever you can imagine within the limits of the phone. Here are some of the things I have done..

1. Location - Probably the coolest feature. The location is set to a fixed GPS location determined by you. Once the program determines that you are inside of a certain area, it can carry out specific actions. So, when I get within 200 meters of my house, Wi-Fi automatically turns on. When I am within 200 meters of my church, the ringer automatically turns to vibrate. When I am within 50 meters of the movie theater, the phone will set to silent. Then, whenever you leave the pre-determined area, the phone can revert back to whatever state you want. Wife constantly want to know when you are coming home? When you leave work and get outside of a certain radius of 1 mile, 2 miles, whatever, it can send her a text message "I'm on my way home." Taking the kids to visit grandma? When you are within 100 miles, 50 miles, it can send her text messages telling her how far away you are.

2. State of the phone - When I have the phone plugged into the car dock, the following actions automatically happen.. Display set to be always on. Screen brightness to maximum. All incoming calls set to speakerphone. GPS turns on. Wi-Fi turns off. When the phone is plugged in to a USB port or the charger, the display is always on. When the battery is at a certain level, a pop up message and an alert tell me to plug the phone into a charger. Another alert can be configured to notify you when the phone is fully charged You can configure the phone to respond to gestures when certain things happen. Phone ringing? Tilt the phone to the left and the speakerphone will turn on and answer. Listening to music? Set the phone face down and it will silence. When you plug in headphones, the volume can be set to whatever you want.

3. Calendar events - You can make it to an amazing alarm clock. You can set specific days and at specific times to play different songs each time. You can configure it to automatically send a Happy Birthday text message to people. You can configure a different wallpaper for each day. Got a doctor's appointment next month? Configure a reminder text a few days before. Phone wake you up at night? You can set it to silence all alerts except phone calls during the night Or you can be more specific and set it to only ring certain calls during the night (work, parents, close friends, etc) and all other phone calls will be silent.

4. Application - You can configure the phone to do certain things whenever an application is started. Watching a movie or TV show on your phone? You can send all phone calls to voice mail when the video is playing. Reading an ebook? You can set the display to always on Get irritated when you open Maps, try to use it, then realize the GPS is turned off? You can set the GPS to automatically turn on when you open Maps, Navigation, or any GPS related program. When you open Pandora or Slacker, the volume will be set to high and incoming text messages will be silent so it won't interrupt the song. When I turn on the camera, the GPS turns on so every picture can be tagged by location.

5. Phone calls - Pretty standard but a few cool things. You can assign ring tones to people. Busy and can't take that call? A shortcut on the homescreen can be pushed, and a text message sent to the caller telling them you are busy an will call them back. Friend or family member constantly call you too early or too late in the day?. Configure their call to go to voicemail at certain times. Got a friend that talks really, really loud? Their phone calls can be set to a certain volume.

Once the task is set up, you never have to mess with it again. You can always override any task manually and the task will still be active the next time. Example: You are in the lobby of the movie theater, you can turn the ringer on manually and the task will still work the next time you come to the movies.

The possibilities are endless. I gotta be honest, some of these tasks are pretty easy to set up, however, some are difficult and will take some time and patience for the average user to figure out. Just go a little google research and you can figure it out. I am in complete amazement of the Android, just when I thought I have seen it all, a program like this comes along and blows me away.

Can an iPhone or Blackberry do all of this? LOL

djh074

Reaction score
so i just bought this app and it looks amazing, but i cant get ANYTHING to work. even following the Walk-throughs from their website, youtube vids, etc. i do instructions step-by-step. never works. when it tells u to press save, there is no save button. i dont get it. i cant even get the simplist profiles/tasks to work. i have no idea and am getting really frustrated. prob just my errors, but when i follow a tutorial word for word, i expect it to work. but no go! at least i still have 22 hrs to refund.

fedrich519

Reaction score
so i just bought this app and it looks amazing, but i cant get ANYTHING to work. even following the Walk-throughs from their website, youtube vids, etc. i do instructions step-by-step. never works. when it tells u to press save, there is no save button. i dont get it. i cant even get the simplist profiles/tasks to work. i have no idea and am getting really frustrated. prob just my errors, but when i follow a tutorial word for word, i expect it to work. but no go! at least i still have 22 hrs to refund.

Sorry to hear that. The learning curve is very high, its pretty tricky to get the profiles to work. Keep at it, I'm sure you will figure it out. Its always something simple that trips you up. I use the remote mouse for my bedroom computer so I can watch videos in bed and not have to get up and down. One night I couldn't get it to work, drove me insane. Messed with the settings on my phone, messed with the settings on my computer. Then I realized what the problem was, something very simple. Wi Fi was turned off. LOL

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can already see another use....it tracks where your spouse/bf/gf goes, monitors their conversations, and calls you if:

(1) He/she is not at work like they're supposed to be
(2) He/she spends more than $25 on credit card
(3) He/she tells their friends how annoying you are
(4) He/she notices another person's butt

Hey, I think I could make this app work for me! :icon_ banana:

-Matt

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't go eating at that restraunt next to the theater, you won't hear anything! :)

fedrich519

Reaction score
Don't go eating at that restraunt next to the theater, you won't hear anything! :)

LOL! Funny!

I got the GPS fix from the lobby of the theater and the strip of restaurants leeching off the movie theater crowd are on the other end of the parking lot. Well beyond 50 meters, more like three times that.

You do make a valid point. It is easy for the tasks to backfire or not work if you don't take into account certain factors. The location task for the Wi-Fi to turn on in my house all of the sudden wasn't working. After some tinkering and thinking I realized that the GPS was turned off. The location tasks are determined first by GPS then network second. If the location task has to rely on the network (closest cell tower) it is not very accurate, once it put my position outside of 50 meters of my house (the original setting) it thought I was not in my house and turned the Wi-Fi off. The solution was to widen the radius to 200 meters. No problem now.

Same with the Car Dock settings. I had the tasks centered around Custom Car Home (car dock replacement, great program BTW). Well, when I would exit out of CCH for whatever reason, the tasks would not work. The solution? I focused the tasks around the state of the phone (in car dock) rather than the application (CCH)

Tasker can be complicated and requires a lot of patience and trial by error.

djh074

Reaction score
i get a "Warning: data integrity problems were found and repaired" every time i try to set anything! any ideas? cant even get the simplist tasks to work. i tried downloading from website and market but nothing works.

can someone who actually got this to work, write up a VERY SIMPLE task for me to try? if i can get even 1 to work i will continue to try. otherwise bye bye Tasker. really disappointed, this app looks awesome!

fedrich519

Reaction score
i get a "Warning: data integrity problems were found and repaired" every time i try to set anything! any ideas? cant even get the simplist tasks to work. i tried downloading from website and market but nothing works.

I'm just guessing here. Sounds like the program didn't download and install correctly. Mine has never done anything like that.

djh074

Reaction score

I'm just guessing here. Sounds like the program didn't download and install correctly. Mine has never done anything like that.

well, i dont know how else to install it. done it multiple times: install directly from browser, apk through usb, and via market. all the same!

jg24cv

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but is the $6 charge a one time charge or is it $6 every month? Also, is it better to get it from the market or from your PC?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but is the $6 charge a one time charge or is it $6 every month? Also, is it better to get it from the market or from your PC?

should be a one time charge.