Android and Mac Don't Play Nice - a warning

NexusVZW

Reaction score
- Android File Transfer does not mount the Nexus as a drive. It merely shows the directory structure and you have to copy files to view them.
- iCal allows reminders further back than Google Calendar those entries can fail to sync.
- Entries copied to the phone directly from iCal but not copied first to Google Calendar will not sync properly.
- To really get good syncing between Mac and Android you have to pay for 3rd party applications (I've yet to see a decent free version and you might need several, which is complicated and annoying.
- Google is vague on what "Back up my data" means in Settings and you cannot selectively restore data as far as I know (does it back up SMS, etc?)
- You cannot stream music in the default player. Unlike iTunes where you can download a stream and play within iTunes I had to download the app for the specific streaming service.

Please make Android better for the Mac (tell Google)! I'd like to know if anyone has any solutions to these issues, but I'm doubtful. Even if you can get this stuff to work, you require a multitude of apps and customization which is a real pain.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Why would you not tell Apple to make their OS more friendly to the Android?

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Why would you not tell Apple to make their OS more friendly to the Android?

I'm almost positive he is coming from an iPhone and this is his first Android phone.

@OP

It should go without saying that the experiences are going to be different. Apple is notoriously close minded in terms of their applications and what they will and won't sync well with.

In order to fully utilize your Galaxy Nexus, your habits are going to have to change. You don't have to do this of course, but you will enjoy the experience much more.

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
- Android File Transfer does not mount the Nexus as a drive. It merely shows the directory structure and you have to copy files to view them.
- iCal allows reminders further back than Google Calendar those entries can fail to sync.
- Entries copied to the phone directly from iCal but not copied first to Google Calendar will not sync properly.
- To really get good syncing between Mac and Android you have to pay for 3rd party applications (I've yet to see a decent free version and you might need several, which is complicated and annoying.
- Google is vague on what "Back up my data" means in Settings and you cannot selectively restore data as far as I know (does it back up SMS, etc?)
- You cannot stream music in the default player. Unlike iTunes where you can download a stream and play within iTunes I had to download the app for the specific streaming service.

Please make Android better for the Mac (tell Google)! I'd like to know if anyone has any solutions to these issues, but I'm doubtful. Even if you can get this stuff to work, you require a multitude of apps and customization which is a real pain.
Good question ShinyTop,and I agree Maverick0984,sounds like hes come from the DARK SIDE.Welcome NexusVZW,do you come in peace? :p

ambrown

Reaction score
Well one of the biggest selling points of Macs are the experience of uniformity. Apple achieves this by keeping everything in the so-called "walled garden" where evrything is very locked down.

Android is based loosely on the linux kernal and being able to access, modify, add, delete files and directories is done simply and easily in both Windows and Linux OS's. Sure you can download some special syncing software, but it works well without all that too.

Apple on the other hand notoriously make their hardware and software difficult to use with anything non-Apple. From their propriatary wall chargers, to their propriatary digital music format, they make using their products with any other electronic merchandise difficult.

It is possible to make it work, but it requires extra steps and patience.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score

Yeah curse you google! How dare you not appease apple in every way!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Escobar

Reaction score
This is why you don't buy a Mac.....

Sent from my HTC REZOUND using DroidForums

delcopa

Reaction score
I'm almost positive he is coming from an iPhone and this is his first Android phone.

@OP

It should go without saying that the experiences are going to be different. Apple is notoriously close minded in terms of their applications and what they will and won't sync well with.

In order to fully utilize your Galaxy Nexus, your habits are going to have to change. You don't have to do this of course, but you will enjoy the experience much more.

Let's not forget they all can't play nice in the sandbox anymore.......I hate the no sych by default with facebook cause Facebook won't play nice either and google won't change that too. Yes I know 3rd party app....I had so many of these phones starting with the D1, DX, Thnderbolt, and now Nexus and Nexus first one to implement it that I know of. A real pain in the $$$.