Android alternatives to iPod Touch

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Smartphones and tablets grab all the attention these days. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that Apple's iPod sales still rake in millions year after year.

Portable media players like the iPod Touch will eventually die out, but there's still plenty of interest in the category, and money to be made by chasing after consumers who don't feel the iPod fits their needs.

The following list contains four Android-based portable media players that take aim directly against the Apple iPod Touch. Many promise bigger screens, GPS, and all of the geeky conveniences that Android in known for:

SAMSUNG GALAXY PLAYER 5.0

View attachment 47338

Samsung's Galaxy Player 5.0 ($269), goes big with its screen, and includes extras such as microSD memory expansion, GPS, and a rear camera with a flash. 4.0 priced at $229.

Along with a broad range of video format support (including DivX and Xvid), this is a great choice for Android fans who want their media and games as big as possible, without venturing into tablet territory.

Sony Walkman Z

View attachment 47339

Sony's Walkman Z deals a double-punch to the iPod Touch. Like the Galaxy Players, it features a larger screen (4.3 inches). Sony sweetens the deal, though, by including an impressive suite of audio enhancement settings, matched with a great pair of in-ear headphones.

This $249 media player is missing many of the features we've come to associate with Android devices, including microSD memory expansion, front and rear cameras, and Micro-USB charging.

Philips GoGear Connect 3

View attachment 47340

This little guy is tough to recommend, but at least the $179 price comes in under the iPod Touch's.

The screen is small, dim, and plagued with a horrible viewing angle, but let's look on the bright side. The sound quality holds up well, audio and video format support is surprisingly broad, and the small size is very convenient.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO CNET NEWS

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about any old Android handset that no longer has cell service?!

I have a Droid Eris that I could use exactly like an iPod Touch.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
How about any old Android handset that no longer has cell service?!

I have a Droid Eris that I could use exactly like an iPod Touch.

I second that. I have an OG Droid and Droid X that are all seeing a second life as a PMP for our kids. Both work great. And basically free.

robert70

Reaction score
When I retire my x2 it will become my iPod touch.

Sent from the right side of the couch.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a ROM specifically optimized for media player functionality (i.e. removal of No Service text on lock screen, perhaps no lockscreen, Cellular radio disabled for wifi only capability, etc.)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a ROM specifically optimized for media player functionality (i.e. removal of No Service text on lock screen, perhaps no lockscreen, Cellular radio disabled for wifi only capability, etc.)

So long as your device is rooted that's actually pretty easy to do. The problem is that most if not all of the android lineup of phones pale in comparison to the battery life of a idevice. Now I've never removed all of the functional parts (phone, GPS, etc) from an android phone so I can't say how that will effect the battery, but out of the gate, normally an android phone will not last as long as a iwhatever.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So long as your device is rooted that's actually pretty easy to do. The problem is that most if not all of the android lineup of phones pale in comparison to the battery life of a idevice. Now I've never removed all of the functional parts (phone, GPS, etc) from an android phone so I can't say how that will effect the battery, but out of the gate, normally an android phone will not last as long as a iwhatever.

With great power comes greater power requirements...................

JoeeDB

Reaction score
I don't see how these things sell. They cost as much as a phone yet only have a few of the features a phone has.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

My OG Droid, with wifi only (unrooted) can last more than a week, with minimal use, and I'll still have a little less than half battery left. :blink:

spillner

Reaction score
The problem is that you can't plug these devices into any accesories. iPods are great because they're universal. Sony and Samsung should not waste they're time on this as smart phones have made portible media players obsolete.

nikecar

Reaction score
i think its proper journalism to post the source where you got this from. Considering this was taken from CNET verbatim in the descriptions, i'd think a link or acknowledgement should be warranted.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i think its proper journalism to post the source where you got this from. Considering this was taken from CNET verbatim in the descriptions, i'd think a link or acknowledgement should be warranted.
You're right. I forgot to post the source of it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I like these a lot. Give it to a kid/teen to use instead of paying for a smart phone AND the service. Or someone who just doesn't want to pay extra a month for a smart phone.