Android 5.0 Lollipop Update System is Different; Harder to Keep Root Now

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dgstorm, Nov 14, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Here's something that Android tinkerers, modders and developers will want to know. It will be harder to keep root on the new Android 5.0 Lollipop. It has to do with system updates. Apparently, the way Lollipop updates the system files during an OTA push is completely different than it used to be which complicates things.

Here's a quote with the details,

What do you think of this news? Will it be a big roadblock or a small speed bump?

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    It was bound to happen. Android was truly opensource initially to pick up steam and it definitely worked. However, now they're trying to fade out the most dedicated and Android purists.

Root, for me anyway, I wouldn't say is a necessity. My main reasons for root are to get rid of ads, battery life improvements, and backing up apps, which really aren't necessary for me anymore as I'm no longer a "crack flasher".

With the improvements in battery life to Lollipop, that's just one less reason to root for me now. I admit to rooting just hours after returning to 100% stock just to get rid of ads though. Years of no ads is something that got taken for granted for me.

I'm sure there will be workarounds for root for Lollipop, but now they're making Android enthusiasts question themselves as to whether root is really worth it or not now. I feel bad for devs that work on apps that require root, as they put a ton of their time and effort into providing a quality app, and it's a community I love to support as it further improves my Android experience.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I have no doubt that devs will find ways to get around this. Also, people who are rooted or use ROMs don't get OTA updates anyways. I flashed 5.0 to both my Nexus 7 tablets yesterday adn realized that I don't need root anymore. At least not personally on those devices. My LG G3 has root solely for Xposed Framework for visual customization. I don't even use ad blockers anymore. On my DroidX, I flashed new stuff every few days. Now though, I want/need my device to work and having bugs from new ROMs or features just doesn't work for me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Once Paranoid Android moved to supporting fewer devices I ended up rooting solely for backup purposes. I can't remember the last time I flashed a rom.

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I use Helium for backing up. If you aren't rooted, you plug into your computer so it does something and then it can backup app+data to the cloud or SD card. You only plug in for like 10 seconds then thats it. You have to plug it back in every time you reboot but thats easy enough and having GDrive connected, I can restore apps+data to other devices easy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    regardless of WHY they are doing it, it still sucks... maybe some of us want root just to have admin privileges, that should be enough honestly. people will find a way around this, nothing is truly ever 100% secure.

I'm gonna have to look into helium

7. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,485
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Apple even tried randomizing the address space layout and hailed it as the king of security. Then it was bypassed and another jailbreak was released shortly after.

I would be surprised if rooting was ever circumvented by a security measure.

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page
android lollipop update script
android lollipop updater-script
lollipop updater scripy
lollipop wont keep root
update script for lolipop
updater script for lollipop

updatesystem for lollipop