Android 5.0.2 Update Available for the OG Nexus 7 2012 WiFi

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus7-og-2012.jpg

What's this? Apparently, Google sneakily rocked out a new and previously unknown Android 5.0.2 update for the original Nexus 7 2012 WiFi tablet. This is obviously meant to address some of the bugs which Android 5.0 brought to the party for the venerable tablet.

This version is LRX22G and specifically addresses "issues with MountService which should now start before performBootDexOpt [and] changes related to NAND have also been pushed. Fstrim, introduced in Android 4.3, caused some serious issues on Lollipop… devices with slow NAND should now have a noticeable performance boost.” ~ XDA Developers

Here's a link to grab it for a manual update: Google

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well this is good news. After I've been all around the forum claiming that mine was running just fine, it was lagging like crazy again when I first fired it up last night. It got better the longer I was using it, but it was almost unusable one boot.

Once again though, I had a few app updates and that was a complaint of mine on the s4 before I upgraded. It would lag a bit when downloading and installing updates.

I think I'll wait for this one OTA though.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
This is great. Need to dust mine off and update. :D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is great. Need to dust mine off and update. :D
Might want to retire it unless a Dev cleans it up, people been reporting nakasi has been struggling to handle lollipop. Maybe they fixed that in this latest update.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
@pc747 @JimTDI what is my best option for upgrading from stock rooted 4.1.2 to 5.0? Can I just flash a 5.0 ROM + GAPPS or do I need to update bootloader first? Do I need to update to 4.4 first?

Been a while since I flashed anything. :p

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I personally flash the factory image ./flash-all.sh so I can have a clean install but that erases data. You can do what @bkdodger does which is a dirty flash and just flash the system.IMG aka fastboot flash system system.IMG (I'll have to double check that command as I am spitting it out on the run).

drunkclever

Reaction score
Imo, all these updates seem to add a step or 2 in order to get your device to do what you want it to do. I really don't like that. I can undrstand if you want to fix bugs and what not... but making an extra menu window slows us down. Adding extra steps is not a update. It's a leap backward. And that's how I feel this update does. Your tablet is fast now. Getting this update makes you take extra steps.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Can't seem to find forum I need. I just updated my Nexus 7 (2012) to factory update android 5.1 using nexus root toolkit. The tablet is now virtually useless in many ways. Its screen seems to hardly recognize touch as I have to try to do things several times before they 'take'. Crome slightly usable but Firefox just hangs. Anyone else out there that has done this successfully or know how to increase touch recognition?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can't seem to find forum I need. I just updated my Nexus 7 (2012) to factory update android 5.1 using nexus root toolkit. The tablet is now virtually useless in many ways. Its screen seems to hardly recognize touch as I have to try to do things several times before they 'take'. Crome slightly usable but Firefox just hangs. Anyone else out there that has done this successfully or know how to increase touch recognition?
What was it running before you flashed it to 5.1 and did you wipe cache and/or do a factory reset after the update?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

Try doing a factory reset.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
What was it running before you flashed it to 5.1 and did you wipe cache and/or do a factory reset after the update?
I was running 4.4.4 before I did this. I wanted to checkout android 5 and knew 5.01 or 2 had memory leek issues. I did full factory update which wiped it out and started it fresh.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Most apps have run ok once actually running (except yahoo fantasy which instantly crashes). I was a Microsoft tester of the new Office suit and got a warning that the tablet needed 1.1gb available memory to run well. The apps load but run terribly. I hate to redo it again like anyone else because it just redid all the apps but if you guys think it will help I'll try it.