Android 4.4.4 Shows Up for Nexus 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-android444.jpg

Just last night a new version of Android started rolling out for Sprint users of the Nexus 5. Strangely, a previously unmentioned version of Android, version 4.4.4 just pushed out OTA to the Sprint Nexus 5 (and possibly other brands of Nexus products). We haven't seen hide nor hair of this update before it actually started hitting phones, so we don't even know what it fixes. After doing some digging, we found the details on the ParanoidAndroid Google+ page. Here's a quote,

4.4 FINAL / ANDROID 4.4.4

This week at PA headquarters we worked very hard to bring you the most stable experience ever since 4+.
Too many hot fixes have been merged today, along with some new goodies.

What does 4.4 Final mean?
Current featured branch reached final stable state. Doesn’t mean at all that development has stopped :) You can just flash this, and feel safe.

KITKAT UPSTREAM
Android 4.4.4 upstream tag has been merged into our source.

VOLUME PANEL
The Volume Panel has been re-designed as you can see in the image below to be inline with hover, be less intrusive and more beautiful.

HOVER
Hover UI/UX has been reworked a bit for tablet users: Hover will not take the whole screen width, but it will respect notification size. Also status bar isn’t hidden when hover shows and you can pull it down when you want, as you touch status bar Hover will be dismissed to not overload on top of status bar expanded state. Another awesome thing is that un-dismissible notifications cases like screenshots etc have been solved (yea is true). Last but not least the marriage with ticker view has been reworked, when hover is enabled and you receive notifications from foreground app they will not be shown in Hover but in ticker.

PIE
Fixed a couple of issues regarding repositioning. Also, Pie now follows same behavior of navigation bar on phone when in landscape, sticks at right. Last but not least Pie is now themeable by external xml resources, by Theme Engine.

PEEK
As for Peek App our Native Peek got some love on sensors side. They should work better now. You can find latest Peek App with advanced features on Play Store, check link below.

THEME ENGINE
Merged upstream changes and added style support to Dialer app, IME switcher alert dialog and many more.

BATTERY TILE AND STATUS BAR INDICATOR
Added colorizing support for all components for both circle and stock look. Themers can play with everything now :)

RECENTS
Hopefully fixed rare blank screen and always show translucent decors.

DOCUMENTS UI
Updated system API to let it delete folders.

PARANOID OTA
Fixed some FCs.

TRANSLATIONS
Imported new crowdin translations.

GENERAL
Fixed various bugs as rare softboots and cleanups. Google+

Sound off if your Nexus device started getting the 4.4.4 update and share your experience here.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexus5-android444.jpg

Just last night a new version of Android started rolling out for Sprint users of the Nexus 5. Strangely, a previously unmentioned version of Android, version 4.4.4 just pushed out OTA to the Sprint Nexus 5 (and possibly other brands of Nexus products). We haven't seen hide nor hair of this update before it actually started hitting phones, so we don't even know what it fixes. After doing some digging, we found the details on the ParanoidAndroid Google+ page. Here's a quote,

Sound off if your Nexus device started getting the 4.4.4 update and share your experience here.

They started pushing 4.4.4 a week ago but they are still pushing out to devices as they have not updated all of them yet.

You can also preview L if you have a nexus 5 or Nexus7 2013

Setting Up the Preview SDK | Android Developers

^ unfortunately can not put it on my nexus 7 2012 as my nexus 5 is my primary phone and do not want to use it to preview L.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. The 4.4.4 release must have been when I was laid up in bed last week with pneumonia. :wacko:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. The 4.4.4 release must have been when I was laid up in bed last week with pneumonia. :wacko:

Ouch, pneumonia in the summer could not have been fun. But yes it was released last week I have it running on my nexus 5 and nexus 7 2012. I am so tempted to flash the L but ...ah I need to wait until we can get it on the nexus 2012 or wait until the weekend. I need my phone and do not want to risk not being able to flash back.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hope you are feeling better Dgstorm