Android 4.3 Will Likely Speed Up I/O Performance of Previous Generation Nexus 7

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-Nexus-7-press-render-multiple-sides.jpg

Has the performance of your OG 2012 Nexus 7 seemed to be getting slower and slower over time? If you have experienced this, you are not alone. It was apparently an I/O issue which will likely be vastly improved with the new Android 4.3 update. According to the latest info, some lines of code have been found within Android 4.3 which will enable something in the background called TRIM. It's basically a new functionality which cleans up the internal memory on your device and dumps out all the old and unused files.

Sound off if you are one of the lucky folks who has received their Android 4.3 on your older Nexus 7 and let us know if it has helped your performance.

Source: Phandroid

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
manually updated to 4.3 and have noticed a difference, it's definitely snappier and "recent apps" doesn't take 3sec to come up, it's almost instant now.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I just sent mine off for warranty repair before my year is up. Will look forward to trying this when/if I get it back. Still loving the new tablet though, just need to find a good case for this bad boy.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
manually updated to 4.3 and have noticed a difference, it's definitely snappier and "recent apps" doesn't take 3sec to come up, it's almost instant now.

Running clean rom 4.3 and there is a difference between 4.3 and 4.22 it literally is like when jb first came out with project butter vs ics.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Running clean rom 4.3 and there is a difference between 4.3 and 4.22 it literally is like when jb first came out with project butter vs ics.

I have been thinking about going to the Clean ROM on my S4. You having any issues with it on your Nexus 7?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Down loaded the update last night, didn't get to run it through its paces though, seemed a lot more snappier. Eyeing the next gen.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been thinking about going to the Clean ROM on my S4. You having any issues with it on your Nexus 7?

I been using clean rom since scott came out with it on the rezound. Awesome rom ran it on my rezound, run it on the note 2 and the n7.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It definitely makes a difference. I did buy a new gen N7 but not because of the speed of my old N7, but because my kids constantly had my tablet so I gave them my old N7. I was happy with the speed bump for the couple days after I updated it until I got my 2nd gen N7.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
One thing I did notice is it does lag a bit more on Need for Speed Most Wanted. That's pretty much the only game I play on my Nexus 7, but it does have a bit more lag (especially when there are more cars/objects on the screen) compared to when I was running 4.2. Yeah it's an older game so it's not optimized and probably no longer supported, but it's playable.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that anytime I put a new ROM on my device, whether it is my tablet or phone, it's always FASTER. Give it some time.