Android 4.3 Demonstrated on Nexus 7 Today With Several New Features Detailed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-43-jellybean.jpg

Today Google demonstrated Android 4.3 running on their new generation Nexus 7 device. They explored several new features in the newest version of Jelly Bean, and here's a breakdown below,
  • Multi-User with Restricted Profiles - Control access to content at a user level - basically means better and more versatile parental controls and more
  • Bluetooth Smart 4.0 LE - includes lower energy consumption and several new Bluetooth devices connection capabilities including new health sensors and more
  • OpenGL/ES 3.0 - Raises the bar on 3D graphics and visuals
  • New Content Streaming and DRM APIs - this includes a new Netflix app that supports streaming 1080P HD movies on your tablet
There are more features and tweaks to Android 4.3 that they didn't detail, but we shared in previous leaks. For the most part they downplayed Android 4.3, but focused on all of the new Google Play Store apps and functions. Android 4.3 is pushing out starting today to the OG Nexus 7, the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 4. It will push out to other devices later on depending on release schedules for your specific OEM.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I wasn't impressed with the specs for 4.3 seems like some good things for visual effects and that's about it. I was hoping for some cool new feature.... Lol.

Proudly from Beer Tent Capital of the World

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-43-jellybean.jpg

Today Google demonstrated Android 4.3 running on their new generation Nexus 7 device. They explored several new features in the newest version of Jelly Bean, and here's a breakdown below,
  • Multi-User with Restricted Profiles - Control access to content at a user level - basically means better and more versatile parental controls and more
  • Bluetooth Smart 4.0 LE - includes lower energy consumption and several new Bluetooth devices connection capabilities including new health sensors and more
  • OpenGL/ES 3.0 - Raises the bar on 3D graphics and visuals
  • New Content Streaming and DRM APIs - this includes a new Netflix app that supports streaming 1080P HD movies on your tablet
There are more features and tweaks to Android 4.3 that they didn't detail, but we shared in previous leaks. For the most part they downplayed Android 4.3, but focused on all of the new Google Play Store apps and functions. Android 4.3 is pushing out starting today to the OG Nexus 7, the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 4. It will push out to other devices later on depending on release schedules for your specific OEM.

What no quadruple battery life... man I was really looking forward to that ;).

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's probably an interim update. More than likely Android 5.0/KLP will hit in the fall of this year.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
It's probably an interim update. More than likely Android 5.0/KLP will hit in the fall of this year.

I think you are right. They released this stuff now so app developers have time to work on their games and get them ready for when 5.0 drops.... I hope they take advantage of the new high resolution displays and get rid of the plain, boring halo theme..... Let's add some color and some real icons.

Proudly from Beer Tent Capital of the World

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I see this as intentional slowing to reduce the horrid fragmentation (dun-dun-dunnnnn!!!) while the field spends some time catching up, even though every update causes a divide considering 40% of users are on Gingerbread or older...I don't blame them for stalling with minor updates while people upgrade and reduce the red tape...THAT IS, so long as they've properly used this extra time to make 5.0 the most compelling, jaw dropping, fluid, and efficient operating system in the world.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Having two Nexus 4s in the family, the stock one will apparently see the update pushed to it. But as for mine, I'm running LiquidSmooth JB 2.9. If there are no compelling reasons (such as, new features I can't live without :D ), I may just stay with what I have, due to the extra control Liquid Smooth gives me.

I decided to go with the Nexus 4 primarily for these updates. Got tired of being burned by Verizon, HTC and Motorola...and their slow-to-nonexistent OS upgrades for my otherwise capable phones in the past.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Went ahead and restored my N7 to 4.3 stock and rooted it. It is definitely a lot snappier in response. My N7 on 4.2.2 stock as well as earlier versions was always kind of sluggish at times. This seems to be much more responsive. I love restrictive accounts. I made my kids an account that just has the apps I want them to use. No more having to use an app to password my apps. I do hope the battery life goes up. That would be awesome! Good work Google! Now, Sumsung...come on man...get with the program and get 4.3 to us S3 users in a timely fashion.