Android 3.2 Honeycomb With Android Market on Your ASUS Eee PC or Laptop

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
[video=youtube;ZBl7QMKedFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZBl7QMKedFY[/video]

There’s a little open source project going on called Android-x86 that aims to get Android up and running on your laptop or desktop PC. The results so far? Almost fully functional builds of Android 3.2 Honeycomb booting on a various netbooks and laptops.

The process involves downloading the Android ISO then using UNetbootin to install the image to a USB stick or SD card. After that, you’ll have Honeycomb up and running on your PC. Most of the PC hardware like WiFi is working just fine and they’ve even managed to get the Android Market installed. Must of the luck users have been experiencing is with ASUS branded PC’s but there have been reports of others working with a few glitches.
I would imagine Ice Cream Sandwich development will pick up steam now that the source for Android 4.0 has been released. If you want to give Honeycomb a spin on your PC, hit up the source link for downloads and further instructions. I’ve included the video below of one user who got Android 3.2 booted up on his Eee PC netbook. Cool stuff.

LINK TO DOWNLOADS

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list

SOURCE: Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Aah my apologies...I will edit the post once I get to a PC lol

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Aah my apologies...I will edit the post once I get to a PC lol

No worries...I found the website VERY confusing. The code link I posted says "they moved to google sites", but the link they give is to an older page. I'm confused. In any case the Downloads link looks good.

-Matt

chewy74

Reaction score
Android is a mobile OS so what benefits would a PC see from this port? Seems like this is more a bragging rights type of project

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android is a mobile OS so what benefits would a PC see from this port? Seems like this is more a bragging rights type of project

I'm thinking it would be better for the EEE pcs, I installed windows 7 lite on my sister in laws PC... if something like this worked it could end up being better.

Graymayre

Reaction score
It is creative and I could see some use for it. Especially if it could be boot from USB instead and still run 7

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It is creative and I could see some use for it. Especially if it could be boot from USB instead and still run 7

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

There's already a USB stick that can do that. I think I saw a news post on here about it.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I wouldn't agree 100% -- we haven't heard much in a while, but there's been a lot of talk this year over Android vs. Chrome. I think the average user (including me) is confused...it seems natural to think of Android as "mobile" and Chrome as "light" but it looks as though one OS will end up dominating (e.g., making its way into other platforms, like home appliances, cars, etc.).

Which one have you heard more about recently? Android, of course. It sounds like since the Chrome netbooks were released earlier this year, they've pretty much flopped. I can't say how much Google is still developing Chrome, but I'd guess they will throw their weight behind Android and make it their mobile-and-light OS.
Either way, I agree that for now Honeycomb or even ICS on a netbook is more for bragging rights. The novelty wears off after about 15 minutes, in particular because YOU KEEP TAPPING THE SCREEN expecting it to respond to touch!!! :icon_ devil:

Seriously, on a netbook it runs fast and light -- we were all amazed to get Win 7 running on a 1GB single-core netbook, but the novelty of that has run out too. The prospect of an alternative to Linux that boots in 15-20 seconds and runs all the basic processes/apps on a netbook is still a meaningful goal. I'm pretty impressed that the x86 guys have pushed on with their project this far, and if they make it to ICS, it might become more than a side-show.

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to give this a shot. I use Sweeterhome, which setting up the theme can be complicated and slow, at least on my OG Droid. The bigger screen would definitely be an advantage.

Basically, it's one step better than an emulator, I think.

Norman

Reaction score
id like to see some way to put the image on a usb and either be able to run it inside windows or maybe boot from it ?

serveitup911

Reaction score
I just installed Xubuntu on my 7 year old 12 inch laptop, and it's running great so far. I wish I would have seen this post before, and I would have tinkered with Honeycomb.

Xubuntu is a lightweight version of Ubuntu that runs the xfce desktop, yet still has full functionality. I bet it could run pretty well on most of the newer smartphones as it only recommends 256+ MB RAM.

jakethesnake77

Reaction score
It could also be a good step towards Android as the universal operating system but then again tablets will eventually kill the common household pc

HTC Thunderbolt Tiamat Liquid 3.0