Android 3.0

dpw2atox

Reaction score
In regards to the Nexus One and Droid specs, a lot of people look at the processor and go "oo its 1Ghz compared to the Droids 550Mhz" but they forget like Miami said about the dedicated GPU the Droid has. As far as 3D graphics are concerned, the Droid should perform as well if not faster than the Nexus One because of its dedicated GPU. The Nexus One really only has an advantage in running apps or 2D performance.

The reality is, if Android 2.1 is optimized to work on the Droid and use its GPU for some of the new graphical effects such as live wallpapers, the new launcher, etc... then 2.1 will probably run faster on the Droid than on the Nexus One. Where the Nexus One should beat the Droid in performance is things such as launching applications.

Also remember the Droids GPU supports OpenGL 2.0 hardware acceleration which will mean great things for Android games.

As for if the 3.0 screenshot is real or not, it doesnt matter. I'm sure Google has branched the Android Source already for either 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever release is next and might even have a 3.0 branch. There is also a very good chance Google has an internal roadmap for what the next few releases will contain.

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In regards to the Nexus One and Droid specs, a lot of people look at the processor and go "oo its 1Ghz compared to the Droids 550Mhz" but they forget like Miami said about the dedicated GPU the Droid has. As far as 3D graphics are concerned, the Droid should perform as well if not faster than the Nexus One because of its dedicated GPU. The Nexus One really only has an advantage in running apps or 2D performance.

The reality is, if Android 2.1 is optimized to work on the Droid and use its GPU for some of the new graphical effects such as live wallpapers, the new launcher, etc... then 2.1 will probably run faster on the Droid than on the Nexus One. Where the Nexus One should beat the Droid in performance is things such as launching applications.

Also remember the Droids GPU supports OpenGL 2.0 hardware acceleration which will mean great things for Android games.

As for if the 3.0 screenshot is real or not, it doesnt matter. I'm sure Google has branched the Android Source already for either 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever release is next and might even have a 3.0 branch. There is also a very good chance Google has an internal roadmap for what the next few releases will contain.

Correct. The Droid is built with great hardware.

jbernard703

Reaction score
Lucky for me i bought the Droid with a 1 year plan so when the Droid 2 running ?.? is released i will be in line to pick it up. As much as i love my Droid and 2.01 we all know every year or so the next phone running the next OS will be even more lovely.

drewshaver

Reaction score
Lucky for me i bought the Droid with a 1 year plan so when the Droid 2 running ?.? is released i will be in line to pick it up. As much as i love my Droid and 2.01 we all know every year or so the next phone running the next OS will be even more lovely.

How did you get a 1 yr plan ?? What was the cost of the droid?

Me, i paid $600 cause i didnt want to be under contract, lolz, def regretting if i could have done a 1yr contract

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was just kidding guys about 3.0 being the next OTA instead of 2.1...I highly doubt that would happen... :(

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, this have become my pet peeve when reading/viewing nexus one reviews.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just kidding guys about 3.0 being the next OTA instead of 2.1...I highly doubt that would happen... :(
Nate, probably most of us knew you were kidding, but you never know, rumors fly very fast in cyberspace. Thanks for coming clean though for those who might not have thought differently about the attempt at humor. Believe me, I've suffered through my share of failed attempted humor in my life. :icon_eek:

drewshaver

Reaction score

as absurd it might seem, its not really impossible, software has been trending towards doing away with minor release numbers to make things less confusing for the end user. for example, chrome releases were numbered .2,3,4, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0

similarly java has switched to java 5, java 6 ..

then again we've already seen them use 1.5, 1.6, and 2.1 for android, but it would create the illusion to the world that android is making strides of progress.

anyways, its pretty much irrelevant, casue its just a number

ramble over

phantrik

Reaction score
uncompatible? wow, nice false statement there. Please do some reading before making crazy comments.

Look at the specs on the Nexus One and Android 2.1

then look at the specs on the Droid

Big difference. Especially the processor

Yes but the N1 shares graphics duty and processing duty on only a single core I believe.. The Droid has both a CPu and GPU. Making 2.1 cake for the Droid.

Now I am not a programmer but I would bet if 3.0 were available right now. someone smarter than me would port it to the Droid with no problems

Yeah, I would think someone would be working on a port and we would of heard about it somewhere, but who knows for sure :confused:

According to one of the comments on the article "You can tell it’s fake because of the Notification Bars rounded top right and top left edges. Only comes with modded ROMs."

Vancelot

Reaction score
Chrome_Droid.preview.jpg

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In regards to the Nexus One and Droid specs, a lot of people look at the processor and go "oo its 1Ghz compared to the Droids 550Mhz".
precisely and they are missing a vital piece of information. The TI OMAP 3430 (Droid) kills the Qualcomm in regards to fill rate.

It's not just about clock speed.