Android 3.0

drewshaver

Reaction score
Isn't 3.0 along ways off? Won't they continue like they did from 1.0 and have 2.2, 2.3,2.4 etc...

Not neccesarrily, there is no set number of subversion numbers required until the next. It is generally changed when there is significant api changes, or else significant changes in another aspect.

Also i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that since 2.1 is very minor and barely has any api diffs, it is not taking a name, and that the major update after that will be froyo. sorry no link but i swear i read it somewher

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2.1 is still in the eclair build, anything that is 2.x is. froyo would be 3.x

I fyou want to know how my head works a little. Looking at the articles and the screenshot. I immediately wonderd. If the Droid2 will be released with 3.0 :icon_ devil:. Now that would be cool to see

andrewcweaver

Reaction score

I fyou want to know how my head works a little. Looking at the articles and the screenshot. I immediately wonderd. If the Droid2 will be released with 3.0 :icon_ devil:. Now that would be cool to see

Yes, very cool. I would be more apt to think that Verizon would try to push away from the name "Droid" because of the copyright and using under license. Remember the Voyager? That name was copyrighted from Plantronics. I don't think they are going to get rid of the Droid, just change the name on the next device. I also think that Google will settle down for a few months to even a year before 3.0 comes out. :icon_ banana:

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes, very cool. I would be more apt to think that Verizon would try to push away from the name "Droid" because of the copyright and using under license. Remember the Voyager? That name was copyrighted from Plantronics. I don't think they are going to get rid of the Droid, just change the name on the next device. I also think that Google will settle down for a few months to even a year before 3.0 comes out. :icon_ banana:

I would agree with most of that. Google and Moto are on a mssion it seems. Moto has big plans for devices with the Android OS on it this year from what I have read. It will be interesting as this year spins to see where it's headed.

It seems to me the future for the Android OS is bright right now. As long as Google doesn't mess with it it can grow at a pace that even Apple won't be able to handle :icon_ devil:

andrewcweaver

Reaction score

I would agree with most of that. Google and Moto are on a mssion it seems. Moto has big plans for devices with the Android OS on it this year from what I have read. It will be interesting as this year spins to see where it's headed.

It seems to me the future for the Android OS is bright right now. As long as Google doesn't mess with it it can grow at a pace that even Apple won't be able to handle :icon_ devil:

Motorola has a great upcoming line of Android devices, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Backflip :)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Yes, very cool. I would be more apt to think that Verizon would try to push away from the name "Droid" because of the copyright and using under license. . :icon_ banana:
I'm not so sure about that since they have already payed for licensing the name. Plus that would be a huge marketing mistake. You establish a brand (Droid) then abandon the brand name a year or 2 later. Wouldn't make sense. As long as VZW carries the device they have to pay licensing fee's.

Last edited:

andrewcweaver

Reaction score

Yes, very cool. I would be more apt to think that Verizon would try to push away from the name "Droid" because of the copyright and using under license. . :icon_ banana:
I'm not so sure about that since they have already payed for licensing the name. Plus that would be a huge marketing mistake. You establish a brand (Droid) then abandon the brand name a year or 2 later. Wouldn't make sense. As long as VZW carry's the device they have to pay licensing fee's.

Well, again they made a huge hype about the voyager and abandoned it

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm not so sure about that since they have already payed for licensing the name. Plus that would be a huge marketing mistake. You establish a brand (Droid) then abandon the brand name a year or 2 later. Wouldn't make sense. As long as VZW carry's the device they have to pay licensing fee's.

Well, again they made a huge hype about the voyager and abandoned it
Right but the Voyager was not their flagship device. They have put "all" of their clams on the Moto

Don't want to get too far off topic though : )