Android 3.0 Gingerbread Details Emerge

Beardface

Reaction score
I love my Droid, but I love the look of the X and was looking to possibly upgrade, but after a bit of research, I wasn't so sure. From what I'm reading, even though it has a larger screen, a stronger processor, and a better camera, the screen's resolution isn't as good as the Droid's, and to me, thats a dealbreaker. Not only that, but if it is going to be a minimum requirement phone only 4 months from now, what's the point?

I haven't rooted, yet. I'm waiting to get Froyo OTA later this month before I decide if I want to. If it speeds up my phone as much as expected, the only reason I'll root is to change the look of the notification bar and menus.

With that said, I think the HTC Evo 4G for Sprint is likely the best phone in the market right now. That thing is sleek and the screen is beautiful.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
I agree the HTC Evo is a great phone but sprints service blows here, Verizon has the best service where i live, they are the only carrier who has 3G..i have to drive an hour and a half just to get 3g on my iPhone 3gs...hmm att sucks..which is why im switching to verizon..

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my Droid, but I love the look of the X and was looking to possibly upgrade, but after a bit of research, I wasn't so sure. From what I'm reading, even though it has a larger screen, a stronger processor, and a better camera, the screen's resolution isn't as good as the Droid's, and to me, thats a dealbreaker. Not only that, but if it is going to be a minimum requirement phone only 4 months from now, what's the point?

I haven't rooted, yet. I'm waiting to get Froyo OTA later this month before I decide if I want to. If it speeds up my phone as much as expected, the only reason I'll root is to change the look of the notification bar and menus.

With that said, I think the HTC Evo 4G for Sprint is likely the best phone in the market right now. That thing is sleek and the screen is beautiful.

The X has the exact same screen resolution as the Droid. Both the Droid and the X have slightly higher screen resolutions than the Evo.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Minimum requirements... lol. My buddy's G1 has 2.1--soon to be 2.2.

Remember, where there's a will, there's a way.

Beardface

Reaction score

The X has the exact same screen resolution as the Droid. Both the Droid and the X have slightly higher screen resolutions than the Evo.
It has the same resolution, but its a bigger screen, which means the pixels aren't as high density as in the Droid, and thus, it'll be a slightly worse resolution, and thus, the pictures won't be as crisp and clear as the Droid.

And I didn't know that about the Evo. Guess I didn't take as close a look as I had originally thought.

streetkid

Reaction score
What are people going to do with their old droids when they're not worth anything on the used market and we've all upgraded already.

I have a razr and an lg chocolate just sitting in a drawer, the droid is too cool to do that with. Maybe leave it around the house and jump on wifi? dunno, it'll be sad to put away such an awesome device for good.

clucernoni

Reaction score
What are people going to do with their old droids when they're not worth anything on the used market and we've all upgraded already.

I have a razr and an lg chocolate just sitting in a drawer, the droid is too cool to do that with. Maybe leave it around the house and jump on wifi? dunno, it'll be sad to put away such an awesome device for good.

It'll be going to my fiance lol.

Stang68

Reaction score

It'll be going to my fiance lol.

Haha I wish my girlfriend was on Verizon, I'd give her my Droid. But she's stuck on At&t for another year...poor girl :p

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me, besides a bit of speed improvement, how that video in the OP is any different than my droid's gallery?

Chatchie

Reaction score
^ I was wondering the same thing. My droid is just as fast and just as crisp. Rooted, of course.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Anyone even know who this guy is?

Dan Morrill Calls Foul On Whoever Started That Gingerbread Rumor

by Quentyn Kennemer on July 2nd, 2010

Ouch! While we’re fairly familiar with rumors we report on being debunked by spokespersons, PR representatives, and the like, there’s something different about it coming from one of the most respected Googlers on the Android side of the old ‘plex.

Dan Morrill was a little more than fed up with whoever started the rumor about “Android 3.0 (Gingerbread)” the other day. He was so upset that he took it straight to Twitter (in case you didn’t know, Twitter rants are pretty hardcore) to call them out directly. Choice quotes? Don’t mind if I do.
I love it when people just make stuff up and report it as news. Android 3.0 Gingerbread details: 1280×760 resolution, 1Ghz minimum specs, mid-Oct. release Unwired View
@Adontai You shouldn’t believe everything you read, no.
In summary, please remember that rumors are not official announcements. ;)
I can make up crap, too. Check it out — NEXT ANDROID PHONE: http://goo.gl/qPfd REVOLUTIONARY 1-BUTTON OPERATION
Alright, so perhaps he wasn’t THAT stern, but you get his point: it’s not true. Of course, that really doesn’t tell us anything. Even though these rumors did appear to come out of nowhere and sounded pretty out of this world, Morrill could just be trying to throw sand into a flame that wasn’t ready to be lit yet. Just sayin’. For now, we’ll take his word for it (because, well, he’s just that awesome).

http://phandroid.com/2010/07/02/dan-morrill-calls-foul-on-whoever-started-that-gingerbread-rumor/

Darkseider

Reaction score
Yeah the whole Dan Morrill thing is interesting although he didn't outright shoot it down either. The only reason I question it is this quote

"In summary, please remember that rumors are not official announcements."

Kind of throws a little doubt into the mix as to what he is exactly trying to do with his tweet. Is it damage control or is he actually saying that none of it is true at all?

brando56894

Reaction score
I think its a little of both. I think he's trying to dispel the rumors while possibly pointing that some info is possibly true.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's a secret code... just look at the URL he posted - .../qPfd

q=17th letter of alphabet
P=16th letter
f=6th letter
d=4th letter

that's 171664

convert those individually back to letters and you get agaffd

rearrange agaffd and you get dagaff... Droid Acquires Gingerbread After Fall Finishes

What's the first official day of winter? Dec 21st?

There you go... blatantly obvious.

:icon_eek:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's a secret code... just look at the URL he posted - .../qPfd

q=17th letter of alphabet
P=16th letter
f=6th letter
d=4th letter

that's 171664

convert those individually back to letters and you get agaffd

rearrange agaffd and you get dagaff... Droid Acquires Gingerbread After Fall Finishes

What's the first official day of winter? Dec 21st?

There you go... blatantly obvious.

:icon_eek:

Did you really get all that yourself? That's some Beautiful Mind type stuff right there. Are you a code breaker for the CIA?