Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Romple

Again all I can say is I have to believe ck is right. He nailed it right there why would they get it to us? I think a lot of us already know in the back of are heads were getting Droid 2, or maybe shadow, I'm for sure getting Droid 2 when it come out and paying full retail for it. The Droid was my first android phone and I have become completely infatuated with it as many have. Its just good business to leave us behind and take our money. Thats Capitalism at
its finest and I'm not complaining, I'm all for it.

I wouldn't say cutting off support for your most popular smartphone is good business. That's just crazy. Motorola knows many people are locked into contracts and won't be upgrading phones for a long time. To think they're never updating the Droid's software because they have other devices is absolutely insane.

There will be a 2.2 release for Droid. No doubt in my mind. There's going to be a 2.3 and 2.4 and whatever else Google bakes for us.

rfriel

Reaction score
all i really want......

is adobe's flash 10.1 player for android, which from what i've been reading is embedded with froyo?? if i could run flash 10.1 on android 2.1 and just install an .apk that's fine with me, but don't know if i can do that, i might have to upgrade to android 2.2, froyo to get adobe's flash 10.1, can anyone set me straight about this?? cause i really dont know but all i want is a flash player for netflix on my moto droid:icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If CK's best argument is "that's business" I again point to the release of the 5.0 on the Blackberry Storm. Nobody thought that the Storm would get 5.0 until after the Storm 2 was released but the Storm got 5.0 2 weeks prior to the release of the Storm 2. I see the exact same scenario here and don't see why it would be different.

I'm sure that the Droid 2 will have enough pluses on it that people will want to buy it even if 2.2 is already on the Droid. That's the way it worked for the Storm 2. And as far as business being business it's my experience with Verizon that they like to keep their customers happy, not piss on them at any opportunity they can.

Don't give up the faith everybody. As illogical as it may be to some I'm going with what Google said. N1 first, then the Droid. We will get 2.2 and it is just a question of when and I don't believe it will be this Christmas.

TexasRules777

Reaction score
is adobe's flash 10.1 player for android, which from what i've been reading is embedded with froyo?? if i could run flash 10.1 on android 2.1 and just install an .apk that's fine with me, but don't know if i can do that, i might have to upgrade to android 2.2, froyo to get adobe's flash 10.1, can anyone set me straight about this?? cause i really dont know but all i want is a flash player for netflix on my moto droid:icon_ banana:

I think that netflix uses silverlight for it's player.

mikehal38

Reaction score
You beat me to it hookbill. I was about to bring up the storm/storm2 thing also. There is no doubt in my mind that we will get 2.2. The business mistake would be if we didn't get it because there are a lot of valuable customers that have the Droid. And this Droid army would go nuts!

rfriel

Reaction score
yeah your right

wont work on netflix anyway, darn. but there are some movie clips that i'd like to view that require adobe flash, so i want it to watch clips on the moto droid too.

R

Romple

This is true.

Someone start a "when will Android get silverlight support?" thread plz ;p

mikehal38

Reaction score
Oh and my fiancée who works at vzw gets daily complaints about no Bluetooth dialing. For that reason only I don't see why they wouldn't give us 2.2.

rfriel

Reaction score
just been corrected

cant watch netflix on moto droid with adobe 10.1, so scratch that plan......

rmcray08

Reaction score
cant watch netflix on moto droid with adobe 10.1, so scratch that plan......

I'm not going to try to find the article, but a month or so ago I recall seeing news that Netflix had posted a position on their site for an Android developer. I think we'll see a dedicated app for watching instant netflix titles so long as we're patient.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
I'd have to say the Droid will be getting 2.2 in the next month or two. Let's remember that Verizon (Lowell McAdam) and Google (Eric Schmidt) held a joint press conference in October to announce Android on the network and the Droid was featured prominently. Although the N1 will always come before our Droid, I'm sure Verizon negotiated the Droid be a close second for how ever long the hardware could handle it. Besides the Droid still represents the overwhelming majority of 2.1. If they seriously want to address the alleged fragmentation issue, then the Droid has to get 2.2 or you'll have over 2 million Android phones impeding that goal.

rfriel

Reaction score
so let me get this straight

is android 2.1 + adobe flash 10.1 + other misc stuff = froyo?, or can i just add an adobe flash 10.1 .apk to my android 2.1 for moto droid and get the same effect if all i want is flash for droid??

TexasRules777

Reaction score
is android 2.1 + adobe flash 10.1 + other misc stuff = froyo?, or can i just add an adobe flash 10.1 .apk to my android 2.1 for moto droid and get the same effect if all i want is flash for droid??

I dont think the flash app will download unless your running a 2.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.