Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandar

Reaction score
I don't want to read 138 pages...so...whens froyo coming out?
2.2 will not be released anytime soon or at all on the current Droid.

The unreleased 2 Moto devices will be the devices running 2.2 and they look to be releasing with 2.1 (not 100% certain at this time)

Those expecting 2.2 to be released prior to the launch of the Xtreme and Droid 2 will be severely disappointed. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but this is the reality. There is no way that will happen. The Xtreme and Droid 2 are exclusive 2.2 product for Motorola.

Sent from my Droid
This is pure supposition, unless you can cite a credible source. As Motorola has already announced that the Droid will get FroYo (albeit without a firm date), I'll go out on a limb and say that the Droid will get FroYo (albeit I won't give a firm date).

As for the claim that Motorola would never release an update to an older device prior to release/update on a newer device, you may greatly overestimate the population of Android device owners who give a handful of cow patty about release dates, operating system updates, etc. I can't see Motorola denying the Droid an update to "hype" their new devices when the general public doesn't know or care about 2.2 vs. 2.1, processor speeds, or the like; most people are amazed to find out that their iPhone takes pictures and makes phone calls. People will buy the latest/greatest Droid because they're in the market for a new phone and that's what the commercials and Verizon rep will tell them they want; not because they love their rooted, OC'd Droid but want a slicker QWERTY, Flash 10.1, and JIT processing.

People who know about that stuff are nerds :rofl3: Just ask my wife who has yet to fill her stock three home screens with stuff on her Droid.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Not sure, but this looks interesting.

Slingbox.com - SlingPlayer Mobile for Android Sign up (Will be sweet to watch your TV on the road from your droid)

The Droid would be so much better with other video media, hope 2.2 bridges that gap.

This has been talked about previously, i've used it in windows mobile and it was amazing, can only imagine how great it will be with droid its the only thing i miss from the winmo phone.

gnmitchell

Reaction score
Cereal,

I understand the point you are making about Motorola making money, but when everyone including Motorola themselves states that the Droid will receive the update in the near future, I have to believe them at the moment. I could see them waiting to have the update ready until after they release their new phone though to get the people that absolutely have to have the latest and greatest right away.

rfriel

Reaction score
i dont care about OFFICIAL droid foryo releases, just give me a backdoor link to a pre-beta version of froyo for droid, i'll debug it from there. i've already rooted with jrummy's remix and cyanogenmod for rooted droids, my idle hands need more to tweak on the droid, a pre-alpha or development beta version some backdoor job of foryo for droid would work for me, please anyone?????

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

That article has nothing in it that supports your declaration that the Droid will not receive 2.2.

It actually leads me to believe that once all devices are at the same level the updates will slow to once a year.

The fact that 2.2 supports BTVD makes me believe ALL devices running Android will at least be updated to an OS level that supports BTVD... either that or the phones should be ordered recalled by CPSC.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i dont care about OFFICIAL droid foryo releases, just give me a backdoor link to a pre-beta version of froyo for droid, i'll debug it from there. i've already rooted with jrummy's remix and cyanogenmod for rooted droids, my idle hands need more to tweak on the droid, a pre-alpha or development beta version some backdoor job of foryo for droid would work for me, please anyone?????
There are ways to download the 2.2 beta. Search around :)

rfriel

Reaction score
the search is on

search is on

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There isn't a 2.2 beta available for the Moto Droid AFAIK. HTC phones are the only ones that can use the beta version.

rfriel

Reaction score
does froyo beta have to

search is on
does beta froyo have to be for droid specifically or can i use one for the N1? maybe a dumb question and if i'm asking it, maybe shouldn't be doing it, eh??

rfriel

Reaction score
OHH thanks

There isn't a 2.2 beta available for the Moto Droid AFAIK. HTC phones are the only ones that can use the beta version.
you just answered my question, so froyo beta's have to be specifically for moto or HTC droids, so even the betas for googles N1 wont work for moto droids, thanks for the info

loidolt

Reaction score
You can't use a rom for another phone on the Droid cause it wont know how to interact with the hardware correctly or have the right drivers

V

verian

I with hook on this. It might not be released within early June, but I would say July is very reasonable. The Droid is more than capable of handling 2.2, so why shouldn't we get it?

I won't repost what I said a while back but essentially it's business. We are already current with a great OS (2.1) and it's time for the new crop of 2.2 Moto product to begin rolling out.

They want your money and know you will pay to have the latest and greatest. People hawk their brand new devices on ebay/craigslist so they can offset the full retail price. Besides new contracts etc etc the full retail market is alive and well and what better way to get them than offering them the latest and greatest. New hardware is not enough. New Hardware and the shiny new OS will push a lot of people to sell their "old" hardware and purchase the new.

We see it here in action. "Oh my god I want this phone. I've just put mine up on ebay. I'll get 200.00 for it and get the online discount and only pay 200 full retail Woohoo!!"

There's no incentive to go out and buy a new phone and full retail if you already have a device VERY similar but offer the potential customer something that is exclusive to said product and watch them flock to it.

If you were running Motorola. Would you make the asinine decision to upgrade yet again, in less than a year mind you, an "older" model when you are going to release a few more new devices? Does not make any sense. They will be cutting off their nose despite their face so to speak. It's business.

They have done their job and updated us with 2.1. We can't complain about that. 2.1 is great and the Droid runs excellent on it. Today as we speak we are current while others still wait for 2.1. We are not the only Moto Android device and we received the big update (2.1) first.

There will be only 2 ways we will get 2.2 and that's it : )

I will post a giant bold titled thread in OT if I am wrong about this. You all can throw tomatoes and stones at me if I'm wrong, even send me nasty PM's lol

Read up below

Android Updates to Settle Down to Once a Year, Says Andy Rubin | Android Phone Fans

Again all I can say is I have to believe ck is right. He nailed it right there why would they get it to us? I think a lot of us already know in the back of are heads were getting Droid 2, or maybe shadow, I'm for sure getting Droid 2 when it come out and paying full retail for it. The Droid was my first android phone and I have become completely infatuated with it as many have. Its just good business to leave us behind and take our money. Thats Capitalism at
its finest and I'm not complaining, I'm all for it.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
you just answered my question, so froyo beta's have to be specifically for moto or HTC droids, so even the betas for googles N1 wont work for moto droids, thanks for the info

No problem. If there was any sort of beta available for the Moto Droid, you can be sure that there would be dozens of threads all over this forum. Current Froyo is for HTC phones only.

kennydied23

Reaction score

2.2 for droid? What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

...and all respect to Gary Coleman, RIP.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why are you guys saying the Droid won't get 2.2? It has already been confirmed by Motorola and there are videos showing 2.2 running on the Droid. It is not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Status
Not open for further replies.