Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
N1 is getting Froyo in a few weeks.....

Don't hold your breath on us (Moto Droid owners) getting it in June.

Twitter / Google I/O: Froyo on Nexus One soon! ( ...

That tweet doesn't say anything about the Droid. You're speculating. I've seen other reports that specifically mention the Droid getting Froyo soon, as in June / July.

Every website that I consider reliable has it coming in June. Not July, June. That's when I think it will happen.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Now as for the OTA don't be too sure that Droid owners won't get it at the same time or for that matter 1 - 2 days after the N1. The reason I say this is because Google/Adobe were pushing the N1 and the Droid REALLY hard at Google I/O. They want this out in peoples hands A.S.A.P.
The ONLY way I see that happening on our end (VZW) is if VZW forgoes testing the build and just pushes it out.

As you know VZW's test's OS builds extensively and under your timeline we have to assume they have the final build right now and then assume again that they will test it for a week and then assume yet again that it will pass.

Remember we are talking about VZW here : )

They do not ever do things quickly. 2.1 was a perfect example.

This is the exact same scenario. Rumor and speculation of a quick release. Quotes from the CEO of Motorola, twitter, facebook, BGR, Endgadget, you name it, never panned out.

They (VZW) simply do not move that quickly. They are sloth like.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now as for the OTA don't be too sure that Droid owners won't get it at the same time or for that matter 1 - 2 days after the N1. The reason I say this is because Google/Adobe were pushing the N1 and the Droid REALLY hard at Google I/O. They want this out in peoples hands A.S.A.P.
The ONLY way I see that happening on our end (VZW) is if VZW forgoes testing the build and just pushes it out.

As you know VZW's test's OS builds extensively and under your timeline we have to assume they have the final build right now and then assume again that they will test it for a week and then assume yet again that it will pass.

This is the exact same scenario. Rumor and speculation of a quick release. Quotes from the CEO of Motorola, twitter, facebook, BGR, Endgadget, you name it, never panned out.

They moved quickly when 2.0.1 was released. Very quickly.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Well, my theory is, that 2.2 is really the remnants of 2.1, what was pushed as 2.1 update1 was to appease the masses and what 2.2 is, is everything else that was supposed to be in 2.1, but wasnt tested or included for whatever reason but with egg on their face for releasing so many release dates, they pushed what they could then..

Again, just a theory..

snappingfish

Reaction score
CK....you are one funny droid'er!

This gif represents the 2.1 update.

The guy is VZW and the yellow car is the Moto Droid community.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2zs88bn.gif

At a recent Sacramento PC User's Group meeting, a company was demonstrating its latest speech-recognition software. A representative from the company was just about ready to start the demonstration and asked everyone in the room to quiet down.

Just then someone in the back of the room yelled, "Format C: Return."

Someone else chimed in,"Yes, Return"

Unfortunately, the software worked.

A computer programmer happens across a frog in the road. The frog pipes up, "I'm really a beautiful princess and if you kiss me, I'll stay with you for a week". The programmer shrugs his shoulders and puts the frog in his pocket.

A few minutes later, the frog says "OK, OK, if you kiss me, I'll give you great sex for a week". The programmer nods and puts the frog back in his pocket.

A few minutes later, "Turn me back into a princess and I'll give you great sex for a whole year!". The programmer smiles and walks on.

Finally, the frog says, "What's wrong with you? I've promised you great sex for a year from a beautiful princess and you won't even kiss a frog?"

"I'm a programmer," he replies. "I don't have time for sex.... But a talking frog is pretty neat."

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Expect Android 2.2 update if you have one of these phones…

May. 21, 2010 (4:29 pm) By: Matthew Humphries

Deciding to go on a two year contract with an Android [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]smartphone[/COLOR][/COLOR] certainly gives you a more open OS on which to communicate and use apps than the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]iPhone[/COLOR][/COLOR] does, but the question always remains as to whether your phone will get the latest version of Android as an upgrade in a timely manner?
Android 2.2 is now official, but which phones are going to get the update?
Google I/O has revealed what looks to be the final list of handsets getting Froyo, they include:

HTC has also suggested that all [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]HTC [COLOR=blue ! important]phones[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] launched in 2010 would get Android 2.2, and that launch dates for the updates would be released on a per phone basis. Most, if not all those updates will occur in the second half of this year.
The upgrade to Froyo is desirable for all Android smartphones due to speed increases, updated APIs and services, the V8 Javascript engine, and new features in Android Market as the video below details:

We can’t rule out other phones being added to the list above, but HTC clearly seems to be focusing on its 2010 phones, while Google has pretty much ruled out the original phone that started it all, the G1, from getting an official 2.2. update.
If you hear of other Android smartphones joining the update list let us know.
Read more at Computerworld

Read more: Expect Android 2.2 update if you have one of these phones... ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
[video=youtube;yAZYSVr2Bhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZYSVr2Bhc&feature=player_embedded#]YouTube - Android 2.2 Official Video[/video]!

stevegun

Reaction score
Android 2.2 Platform | Android Developers

boo ya here is the 2. 2 features!

I am running ultimate droid 1. 0 smokers glass and many customs

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.