Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how the new feature of storing apps to SD will impact speed of use for the applications stored on SD vs internal memory. Will there be a significant and observable difference in use?

no speed difference will be noticed... maybe a slight difference in initial loading speed. then again... we'll have JIT...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the update say that it was increasing spped by 4 and a half times?

via JIT, google stated a 4x speed boost for certain applications/instances

Apps on SD vs internal memory should not see any differences in speed.

jlukes

Reaction score
Nexus One owners will get 2.2 first... within the next few weeks -- according to Engadget.com

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
When moving apps to SD doesn't it disable the ability to utilize JIT? I thought I read that somewhere but this forum moves a thousand years in a second as though it's traveling 99.99999% of C. lmao.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
We talk about this every update. Listen - Verizon doesnt care WHICH phone you buy. They make the same amount for all of them. It's the program not the phone.

droid is the most popular(read- most sold of single model) phone to date.
theres no way that it cant handle it, and they arent going to leave their bread and butter out to dry.

Well, it's the single most popular ANDROID phone to date. And there's no question that the Droid will get the 2.2 upgrade. It's a question of when. Considering that Verizon cannot currently meet the demand for the Incredible, it would take some serious cajones to siphon off a significant portion of that demand to a $19.95 phone with a more capable operating system version.

Not to say that Verizon won't do so, but if I were a shareholder I'd have some serious questions about such a strategy.

mightybrick

Reaction score
???
Speed central to Google's Android 2.2 plans | Deep Tech - CNET News

this link shows 5.8 ish thru linpack.

at 600(dont have a 550 slot)
i hit 5.8 constantly.

meaning this superawesome revolutionary JIT is what we already have.
and the v8 web engine we've had forever
although im sure theyve been optimized, i am beginning to think there might be a serious dissapointment to people who have already ran JIT roms.
Boost, that graph says "factor of increase", meaning that the results are around 5.5 times faster than stock, not 5.5 mflops.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how the new feature of storing apps to SD will impact speed of use for the applications stored on SD vs internal memory. Will there be a significant and observable difference in use?

I know some have answered this for you already....but I'm on Amazon pricing Class 6 and Class 10 SD Cards already...

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I know most are expecting this but just thought I'd post anyways:

Not So Fast: Tethering Will Ultimately Be at the Discretion of the Carrier

ico-time.png
21. May, 2010 written by Kevin Krause / phandroid.com
ico-comment.png
0 Comments
And so Vic Gundotra announced tethering and wireless hotspot abilities would be in Froyo, and Android fans rejoiced. But the questions lingered: how exactly will wireless carriers handle said new additions in terms of data plans and additional fees. It’s looking like the carriers will be the ones that get to decide that. Just as they have modified existing versions of Android to be whatever they wanted it to be, carriers will be able to disable or charge for tethering if they so choose, or so the word is from Hiroshi Lockheimer, head of Android engineering.
He says that Android has no built in way to monitor specific data usage in terms of tethering or hotspot use, so it looks like most users will either get all or nothing (or all at an additional price, much like the HTC EVO 4G). Phones that use the Google Experience (stock) version of Android could possibly get tethering for free, and that would include the Nexus One and Motorola Droid (both phones are rumored to be getting the Android 2.2 update in June). I have a hard time believing Verizon would allow such a feature to get through without milking as much money from it as possible, but surely Google’s own phone would have to get the feature. We’ll just have to wait and see how carriers handle it.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yea I read that yesterday but also, it was clarfified later that the droid would probaby be getting it at the same time as the N1..
If we weren't on Verizon I may believe that : )

Darkseider

Reaction score
N1 is getting Froyo in a few weeks.....

Don't hold your breath on us (Moto Droid owners) getting it in June.

Twitter / Google I/O: Froyo on Nexus One soon! ( ...

That all depends CK. Droid owners getting a 2.2 OTA or a Custom 2.2 ROM for rooted users? You know as well as I do that once the source tree is updated for the AOSP it's ON! Now as for the OTA don't be too sure that Droid owners won't get it at the same time or for that matter 1 - 2 days after the N1. The reason I say this is because Google/Adobe were pushing the N1 and the Droid REALLY hard at Google I/O. They want this out in peoples hands A.S.A.P.

My guess is that it will hit both phones on or just before June 7th. The reason I make this assumption? That's the day that the Apple WWDC starts. Judging by the jabs taken at Apple during Google I/O there is nothing more than Google would love to see than this update rolled out at the beginning of or during the WWDC to kick more sand in Apples' face.

Status
Not open for further replies.