Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully a sollution

What we have done for people who want to discuss rooting and the new 2.2 Fryos is created this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-discussion-thread-root-users.html#post490668

This will give you guys an are to discuss, haggle, complain, or whatever you feel like doing in regards to 2.2. If you want to say "Those stock people should just root their Droid," well you can do it in your own thread now. If your post is removed more then likely the redirect will take you here.

Silver Member
Reaction score
allow me to point out a couple key things that people are either missing or forgetting;

1. flash does NOT take advantage of hardware acceleration. while having flash will enhance the coolness of your internet experience, 80% of the flash envable videos you'll watch will probably suck

2. devices that are slated to come out have been going through months and months of testing. just because a software update is available, doesn't mean any of the meanufacturers really care. the incredible/evo is being released with 2.1. 2.2 support will come when HTC releases it (most likely). google has already offered its partners/subscribers information on steps to take in order to provide the upgrade to their devices. ultimately, google has no responsibility in making sure the rest of the market stays current.

3. the rumored june release date does NOT mean june 1. a few people have said that june is only a few days away, which adds to the excitement, but only the excitement of knowing the month has arrived. without a solid release schedule, all dates are speculation and there's no guarantee as to when anyone will see any sort of update.

Reaction score
allow me to point out a couple key things that people are either missing or forgetting;

1. flash does NOT take advantage of hardware acceleration. while having flash will enhance the coolness of your internet experience, 80% of the flash envable videos you'll watch will probably suck

2. devices that are slated to come out have been going through months and months of testing. just because a software update is available, doesn't mean any of the meanufacturers really care. the incredible/evo is being released with 2.1. 2.2 support will come when HTC releases it (most likely). google has already offered its partners/subscribers information on steps to take in order to provide the upgrade to their devices. ultimately, google has no responsibility in making sure the rest of the market stays current.

3. the rumored june release date does NOT mean june 1. a few people have said that june is only a few days away, which adds to the excitement, but only the excitement of knowing the month has arrived. without a solid release schedule, all dates are speculation and there's no guarantee as to when anyone will see any sort of update.

Boy you know how to ruin someone's buzz. lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Boy you know how to ruin someone's buzz. lol

Yeah, he did that earlier on this thread. I called him a party pooper.

Silver Member
Reaction score
these threads are fuel for the "me generation", somebody needs to be an adult here.

lololol

Reaction score
these threads are fuel for the "me generation", somebody needs to be an adult here.

lololol

hmmm....probably tells the kids that there is no Santa. :D

What, no Santa? I guess you are going to tell me next that there is no Easter Bunny! lol

I am really looking forward to this update, but I will not hold my breath while waiting because the lack of oxygen to the brain makes you crazy! lol

rkeller62

Reaction score
^^^^ hmmmm, if that is true I think of few too many of the members here held their breath too long waiting for the 2.1 OTA!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, so far my one source has been shown to be non reliable, so I guess he's not a source. June is a good month. I can see it happening then.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see the how the combination of manufacturers and carriers for the various existing devices impacts the release of 2.2. This is the first time, I believe, that a good sample of top tier devices from various sources are all at the same (2.1) release level.

() Nexus1: Release schedule directly controlled by Google with, I presume, input from T-Mobile. Pure Google UI.

() EVO 4G: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Sprint. HTC Sense UI

() Hero: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Sprint. HTC Sense UI

() Incredible: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Verizon. HTC Sense UI

() Droid: Manufactured by Motorola. Carried by Verizon. Google UI.

The combinations present some interesting engineering and marketing challenges for the various vendors.

It seems pretty likely that the N1 will be first at the party. T-Mobile has no reason to hold up the update and neither does Google. And the N1 definitely needs a kickstart after the disastrous internet-only marketing approach from Google.

Sprint faces a major dilemma, I think. Updating the EVO 4G so soon after its introduction, especially with its many tweaks that might be impacted by 2.2 and the refined Sense UI is likely to introduce consumer confusion in trying to sell a new device.

Furthermore, Sprint's Hero is just now getting 2.1. Will Sprint leave it in the dust again? Even if they could do so, I doubt Sprint will release an update for the Hero before they do so for their new flagship EVO 4G.

Verizon has a similar problem. Their new flagship, the Incredible, has the Sense UI to deal with. But are they likely to update the Droid ahead of the DInc? Some web blogs have suggested so, but I'm highly skeptical. The DInc's sales are already limited by supply problems rather than weak demand. Do they really want to update the Droid (which is being almost given away by various retailers) before the Incredible? I don't think so.

And what about the rumored new Motorola phones for Verizon? They seem to be near ready for release in late summer/early fall. But they also (I suspect) have the Motoblur extensions that must be integrated with 2.2. Will Verizon release a Droid2 (or something similar) without a Froyo level o/s? I doubt it.

And then there's AT&T. They're just putting their toe into the Android pool. The FroYo update gives them a chance to jump in with new hot devices at the leading edge. But will they do so at the same time that they're anticipating the release of the iPhone 4gen? How would that impact their relationship with Apple?

Finally, what about all those devices from various carriers that are stuck back at 1.5 or 1.6? Seems unlikely that any carrier would update them to a release level older than 2.2. What's the point? But will any vendor leapfrog an older device running, say, 1.6 to 2.2 ahead of their flagship products?

All in all, the combination of Sense and Motoblur UI extensions and the potential to cannibalize sales for existing and new models presents each carrier with some difficult choices in terms of release dates.

Darkseider

Reaction score

It will be interesting to see the how the combination of manufacturers and carriers for the various existing devices impacts the release of 2.2. This is the first time, I believe, that a good sample of top tier devices from various sources are all at the same (2.1) release level.

() Nexus1: Release schedule directly controlled by Google with, I presume, input from T-Mobile. Pure Google UI.

() EVO 4G: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Sprint. HTC Sense UI

() Hero: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Sprint. HTC Sense UI

() Incredible: Manufactured by HTC. Carried by Verizon. HTC Sense UI

() Droid: Manufactured by Motorola. Carried by Verizon. Google UI.

The combinations present some interesting engineering and marketing challenges for the various vendors.

It seems pretty likely that the N1 will be first at the party. T-Mobile has no reason to hold up the update and neither does Google. And the N1 definitely needs a kickstart after the disastrous internet-only marketing approach from Google.

Sprint faces a major dilemma, I think. Updating the EVO 4G so soon after its introduction, especially with its many tweaks that might be impacted by 2.2 and the refined Sense UI is likely to introduce consumer confusion in trying to sell a new device.

Furthermore, Sprint's Hero is just now getting 2.1. Will Sprint leave it in the dust again? Even if they could do so, I doubt Sprint will release an update for the Hero before they do so for their new flagship EVO 4G.

Verizon has a similar problem. Their new flagship, the Incredible, has the Sense UI to deal with. But are they likely to update the Droid ahead of the DInc? Some web blogs have suggested so, but I'm highly skeptical. The DInc's sales are already limited by supply problems rather than weak demand. Do they really want to update the Droid (which is being almost given away by various retailers) before the Incredible? I don't think so.

And what about the rumored new Motorola phones for Verizon? They seem to be near ready for release in late summer/early fall. But they also (I suspect) have the Motoblur extensions that must be integrated with 2.2. Will Verizon release a Droid2 (or something similar) without a Froyo level o/s? I doubt it.

And then there's AT&T. They're just putting their toe into the Android pool. The FroYo update gives them a chance to jump in with new hot devices at the leading edge. But will they do so at the same time that they're anticipating the release of the iPhone 4gen? How would that impact their relationship with Apple?

Finally, what about all those devices from various carriers that are stuck back at 1.5 or 1.6? Seems unlikely that any carrier would update them to a release level older than 2.2. What's the point? But will any vendor leapfrog an older device running, say, 1.6 to 2.2 ahead of their flagship products?

All in all, the combination of Sense and Motoblur UI extensions and the potential to cannibalize sales for existing and new models presents each carrier with some difficult choices in terms of release dates.

Here's the simple answer to all of this confusion. I know people don't want to hear it but it is the simple truth. Older devices have ONE choice and one choice only, root if possible and install a custom 2.2 ROM. Newer phones that can be rooted or are rooted will have that same option. Those phones without root, Incredible and EVO 4G as examples, are pretty much screwed and at the mercy of HTC+Carrier.

As for AT&T, LOL! They don't know their ass from the elbow. Not only will any Android that is subsidized by AT&T be crippled and locked down to no end. With the impending release of the iPhone 4G they wouldn't dare piss off Uncle Steve at such a critical moment in time. Maybe, just maybe late this year or early next year AT&T will release some good Android phones but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.