Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

boostdscoob

Reaction score
Lol, I think you misunderstood.
Once source is out, we'll have 2.2 roms available for all, with root.
I'm not saying my 2.1 will be faster. Sorry for the confusion.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This stuff about rooting is off topic. Please take this dicussion to another area. From this point on rooting discussions will be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, Bill. If this is the place for it, here it is...

Initial reports are very positive, to be sure. Being in the business of software releases (on a very different scale from Google), it appears that a number of features slipped from 2.1 to 2.2 and they're trying to finish up the feature list before moving on to a 3.0 version toward the end of the year.

Considering that much of the Android world is still back at 1.6 or earlier, I'm sure the object is to reset the baseline before shifting toward the 4G devices that will be coming out in six months+.

As far as the comments from multiple sources that 2.2 will be available for the N1 and the Droid in June, I'm skeptical. (I'd be happy to be surprised, of course.) My guess is that the N1 will have it first, primarily because Google has much greater control over releases with that phone than with the Droid. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 90 day (hopefully no more) delay getting the update through the VZW process compared to the N1. Perhaps, though, VZW learned some lessons from the 2.1 fiascos. We can always hope.

Interesting that neither of the HTC flagship phones (Incredible and EVO) are mentioned in this context. All indications are that integrating Android updates into the HTC skins constitutes a much bigger job than for anyone else. Gotta say that I suspect some folks at HTC and Sprint are steaming that 2.2 is going to step on their introduction of the EVO (if the update actually happens in June.)

Performance will be another interesting issue to observe. All the "benchmarks" I've seen are based on phones running the Snapdragon processor. Whether the Droid can take advantage of the software performance upgrades to the same extent will be interesting to see.

Finally, it looks as if two of the more annoying issues brought up time and again will be laid to rest (hopefully.) I for one will be delighted never to see another thread dealing with the absence of support for Flash 10.1. Of course, I expect it will be replaced by multiple threads about how unjust it is that one cannot watch Iron Man 2 on a tiny 3.7 inch screen without paying for it.

The other issue, of course, is bluetooth hands free support. Personally, I'd like to see any use of a phone in a car treated like the Soviet Union treated Radio Free Europe but I realize I'm in a tiny minority in that. And while there is virtually no evidence that "hands free" use of a phone in a car is any safer than holding a phone up to one's ear (they're equally dangerous), I suppose it makes sense not to interfere with drivers' ability to eat a Big Mac and dial a phone at the same time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like how they integrated the search widget to include the market and contacts. Probably wont need a contacts or market shortcut.

iPirate

Reaction score
I would rather have the discussion of ROMS in their section and leave it out of this.

The 2.1 thread was overwhelmed with people posting about rooting and I don't think we need to repeat that discussion.
I agree, stop discussing root, lets keep it on topic about the official release of 2.2!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
this is my fav half time droid drama XD

Droid drama
Worse than the babies mamma
Don't like how this thread is goin
Flame wars is all that's flowin

Wishing for some 2.2
Everyone else, not just me and you
So what else do we need to say
Posting all night long just so we can sleep all day

Finally I'm getting tired
Of this silly wack-@$$ posting style
So I made this rhyme
To let you know that it's my bedtime

lol yea I dunno. Don't drink and drive kids.

sbakewell1101

Reaction score
froyo

i originally posted this in the google i/o thread but it should be here so i tried to delete but don't know how so here is my opinion

I watched the Google I/o with excitement this morning it is really amazing what this company is doing (i watched the recorded ones from yesterday as well). I also recently downloaded chrome (AND I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED IE)but chrome is just faster.

anyways for froyo, it is exciting to think about flash i am personally excited about apps2sd and cloud to phone push i think that is really an amazing thing.

as far as timeline i hope that it doesn't take that long i got my phone in beginning of april and immediately read about the update and wanted it then lol, got it a few days later! anyways it would be horrible if we had to wait considering that gingerbread is rumored for q4 and the summer is supposed to have the new droid 2 (rumored) so wouldn't they want to push it to phones so that people who were getting a droid two would a) have it stocked when purchased or b) wouldn't have to wait forever, plus with the apple iphone coming out mid summer they are going to want to get on the band wagon! if they wait till 2011 or even late summer people will go to the iphone stictly because they want the latest and greatest phone, but it vzw can hurry and push it to phones, (think of the great commericals they will do!) this will attract those customers who might of bought an iphone not a droid-it makes business sense for them to get this out b4 iphone release.

I am probably one of the most impatient people ever, so i wanted it the moment i heard about it and i can't wait! also if gingerbread is supposed coming out as well (which has been hinted about) they will probably want that out before the xmas buying season. this is androids chance to spring ahead and take down the iphone-i personally think iphone probably is a great phone but it is just not on the best network and as far as i know at &t has not really improved their network enough to handle the best phone (well used to be the best phone!) if i would of been at&t i would of spent every red cent i had, think of how many towers they could of built with the money they spent on paying luke wilson to be their spokesman.. build network first then advertise like google and verizon.

ok back on track here, lets hope that 5 days is a rumor that will come true!! yeah froyo!

as a side note i loved the little dings to certain people and devices... "we discovered something called the internet" very great!

i do agree with the google tv spot -really they had to ask like 15 times for developers to turn off the phones? they were all adults why did they need to be asked 15 times?

maxohkc

Reaction score
Does anyone know the release date for froyo!! I can't seem to find it please tell me!!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the release date for froyo!! I can't seem to find it please tell me!!
Soon. No exact date yet. Soon could change into not soon but I have high hopes we will see it in june.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol I thought that was funny. They were having problems with the Google TV part of the show, but it still showed the capabilities of it. (they shoulda had Motorola and their LTE equipment on hand...) I'm very excited about it after I learned it was gonna be set-top boxes. It runs circles around todays TV Guides. Everything at your fingertips from the Search box?

And with Google TV and Tablets, (and I'm thinking 1-2 4G phones) supposed to be in time for the Christmas season, FroYo will have to be pushed out no later than June. And put 2.2 on the rumored June-July phones.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus you can use your Android phone as a remote? I will find the link or info soon.....

stragabenz

Reaction score
no set date has been released all that has been said by google is it will be released on the Nexus One within a few weeks. Then after that the Motorola Droid but it has to be put through Verizon and we all know how that goes. So I wouldn't count on seeing 2.2 on the Droid for alteast two months.

URL:

Google Android 2.2: Questions and Answers - PCWorld

Status
Not open for further replies.