Android 2.2 - Default Dailer, Swype, Chrome to Phone

jv59

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the original Droid and I installed Android 2.2. I also have an app called Dialer One. Is there a way to program the phone button on the home screen to open Dialer One instead of the default dialer?

Does Swype work on the original droid? If so, how do I activate it?

Do I need to install the Chrome to Phone app to get the Firefox send to phone plug-in to work. I heard that this functionality my already be installed in Android 2.2.

If I upgrade to a 32GB micro SD memory card can I just copy the contents from the old card to the new one or is there something more to this?

BTW: Ignore the message icon, I thought it was a question mark. :)

Thanks.

deputc26

Reaction score
Go into settings>applicatiosn>all tab> dialer clear defaults

Yes you need the C2P app installed.

Not sure about swype.

SD card... yes. I think.

OP
J

jv59

Reaction score
The clear defaults button is disabled for the dialer. I tried stopping it, but it just starts up again.

Thanks.

OP
J

jv59

Reaction score
There's a plug-in called Send to Phone for Firefox. It's suppose to work with the Chrome to Phone app.

dimaj

Reaction score
To enable Swype (assuming you have it installed) go to Settings > Language & Keyboard > Put a checkmark next to Swype.

As far as copying SD cards... Yes, it will work. I have replaced the stock Category 2 card with a new faster card. After copying everything from one card to the other and booting up my device, everything was fine. Nothing was changed in any way.

dimaj

crspang

Reaction score
"There's a plug-in called Send to Phone for Firefox. It's suppose to work with the Chrome to Phone app."

Oh, ok. Good to know. Thanks.

tommyz

Reaction score
Swype...

I ended up uninstalling and re-installing to get it to work after upgrading to 2.2

amajamar

Reaction score
I believe that the developer of Dialer One has noted somewhere that the dialer pad of the Froyo launcher could not be changed. However, if you want a launcher that allows you to do that, try ADW Launcher. It is awesome, and it allows you to have any dialer you want!

As far as Swype is concerned, it does not come with 2.2 natively; if you can find it (as the beta program is closed, I believe) it will work great.

The Chrome to Phone app that comes with 2.2 works as is. I don't know how the new version (2.0) may be different. And I use it with Firefox. It's pretty cool!

I don't know about changing SD cards, that is a question I would like to know the answer to myself!

MaryU

Reaction score
How do you uninstall Swype beta so you can re-install? I have the beta on my Droid but after 2.2 came in - the swype says I have to uninstall and reinstall.

MaryU

Reaction score
When I tap the Swype Install icon it comes up with a box telling me I have to uninstall it but I cannot find an uninstall button anywhere

OP
J

jv59

Reaction score
If is uninstalls like most Android apps then select as follows ...

System Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications.

Select Swype Beta (not sure if it shows like this) and push the Uninstall button.