Android 2.2 and battery life

Thorax3

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first smart phone, and I'm looking at the Droid Incredible and the Droid X. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research, 2.2 on the Incredible brought the phone's quadrant scores up to those of the X on 2.2.

I also read that 2.2 increased battery life. Since the update seemed to have brought the performance of the Incredible up to par with the X, has it done the same with the battery life?

Thanks in advance!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I'm in the market for my first smart phone, and I'm looking at the Droid Incredible and the Droid X. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research, 2.2 on the Incredible brought the phone's quadrant scores up to those of the X on 2.2.

I also read that 2.2 increased battery life. Since the update seemed to have brought the performance of the Incredible up to par with the X, has it done the same with the battery life?

Thanks in advance!

The Droid Incredible will always have a problem with battery life. The move by HTC from AMOLED screens to SLCD screens improved things (from a battery life perspective) and there are various tricks you can employ to further boost battery life. The bottom line for me (having an AMOLED screen) was to simply buy an extended battery. Problem solved, no more games playing.

-Mike

OP
T

Thorax3

Reaction score
Does the Incredible's extended battery give a significant enough of a boost to make it worth buying? Or should I just spend a little more and get the X?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the Incredible's extended battery give a significant enough of a boost to make it worth buying? Or should I just spend a little more and get the X?

I strongly doubt you will see that much of an improvement in the X. The fact is all of these Android smart phones use a lot of battery. Now if you don't use it a lot like me you can probably go 2 days. But most people are lucky to get 24 hours out of it.

OP
T

Thorax3

Reaction score
Alright, that clears things up. Thanks for the replies UltraDroid and hookbill.

The Incredible is definitely more attractive because it has a much lower pricetag. I don't intend on doing too much on my phone, and the only time I'd be without a charger is at school (assuming I get a car charger). The phone should be able to last those 7 hours, with a little gaming and web surfing, correct? If needed, I can always get the extended battery, too. I won't be gaming on my phone for too long once I get an iPod Touch.

Thanks again for the responses. So far it looks like I'll be getting the Incredible. But I've changed positions several times already, so who knows what will happen.

P.S. How much of a power drain is using the phones 3G hot spot capabilities?

Droid101

Reaction score

The Incredible is definitely more attractive because it has a much lower pricetag. I don't intend on doing too much on my phone, and the only time I'd be without a charger is at school (assuming I get a car charger). The phone should be able to last those 7 hours, with a little gaming and web surfing, correct? If needed, I can always get the extended battery, too. I won't be gaming on my phone for too long once I get an iPod Touch.

Thanks again for the responses. So far it looks like I'll be getting the Incredible. But I've changed positions several times already, so who knows what will happen.

Not sure on the hotspot but with my OG droid I can usually last the whole school day (around 7 hours) and still be at 70% battery left. Now I'm not sure how much the Incredible differs from the OG droids battery life but I am sure you should be able to make it 7 hours on a charge.

OP
T

Thorax3

Reaction score

Not sure on the hotspot but with my OG droid I can usually last the whole school day (around 7 hours) and still be at 70% battery left. Now I'm not sure how much the Incredible differs from the OG droids battery life but I am sure you should be able to make it 7 hours on a charge.

Ok sweet, thanks.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

I have the Seidio 3500 extended battery, along with an AMOLED screen on my Incredible. I have the brightness cranked all the way, GPS and wifi turned on all the time. I use Beautiful Widgets with weather, and it checks every 15 minutes (I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the weather is unpredictable). If there's a device on that phone, I have it tuned ON, and still go two days between charges. That battery is amazing - it made all the difference in the world with my Dinc.

-Mike

OP
T

Thorax3

Reaction score

I have the Seidio 3500 extended battery, along with an AMOLED screen on my Incredible. I have the brightness cranked all the way, GPS and wifi turned on all the time. I use Beautiful Widgets with weather, and it checks every 15 minutes (I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the weather is unpredictable). If there's a device on that phone, I have it tuned ON, and still go two days between charges. That battery is amazing - it made all the difference in the world with my Dinc.

-Mike

That sounds absolutely spectacular to be honest. If I ended up buying the Incredible, I'll see how the stock battery works for me. Good to know I have that as an option.

Good deal, thanks.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

That sounds absolutely spectacular to be honest. If I ended up buying the Incredible, I'll see how the stock battery works for me. Good to know I have that as an option.

Good deal, thanks.

My pleasure! Glad to be a help. :):)

-Mike