1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android 2.2.1 Stop OTA Patch

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by stetsonaw, Dec 10, 2010.

1. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Beta Team/Marty McFly Theme Developer Premium Member

Android 2.2.1 FRG83D Stop OTA Patch

Attached is the fix for D1 running BBv5. This is what is modified in the build.prop. Thanks to Banksy for the info!

EDIT: Should work on other roms with FRG22D or previous versions, but will change your About screen to show BB5 and such. If you change the text below in your build.prop (the 3rd and 4th lines), you should be fine. All this patch does is make it appear to Verizon that you have the update already.

What is changed by this in the build.prop
    Code:
    ro.build.version.incremental=[COLOR="Red"]50454[/COLOR]
    ro.build.version.release=[COLOR="red"]2.2[/COLOR]
    ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR="red"]2.2 FRG22D 5045[/COLOR]4 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR="red"]2.2/FRG22D/50454[/COLOR]:user/release-keys

To:
    ro.build.version.incremental=[COLOR="red"]75603[/COLOR]
    ro.build.version.release=[COLOR="red"]2.2.1[/COLOR]
    ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR="red"]2.2.1 FRG83D 75603[/COLOR] release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR="red"]2.2.1/FRG83D/75603[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
    Download and install with SPrecovery (with update.zip file in the root of your SD Card) or CWRecovery (navigate to the zip wherever you placed it). As always, make a backup! Do not wipe data/cache! Remember that you assume full responsibility for anything that happens to your phone. With that said, haven't heard from anyone stating this killed their phone.

Manual Instructions
    Using Astro, navigate to root\system, long press on build.prop, scroll down and tap 'Open in text editor'. Once open, scroll down until you see
    Code:
    ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR="Red"]2.2 FRG22D 50454[/COLOR] release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR="red"]2.2/FRG22D/50454[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
    Change Items in red to
    Code:
    ro.build.description=voles-user [COLOR="red"]2.2.1 FRG83D 7560[/COLOR]3 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:[COLOR="red"]2.2.1/FRG83D/75603[/COLOR]:user/release-keys
    Upon completion of making these changes, Exit out of the editor, it will ask to save, click yes, it will automatically back up the original as build.prop.bak. Now reboot your phone, clear notifications and let it finish booting. Under About Phone/System Update it should say you are up to date. IF it still has the upgrade there, reboot again, all should be well.

Something to note, after doing this (or before, doesn't matter) go into the root\cache folder and delete the *.zip file in there, it's clearly labeled with the OTA information in the filename (signed by voles) to free up 3MB of valuable phone space.

oh, for users of SWYPE

You will need to uninstall & reinstall Swype after doing this, doesn't matter whether or not you install it using the update.zip or the manual way. Something with Swype, nothing that I can do.

another option...
    Official Release from Pete - http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/FROYO/StopOTA.zip
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. korn5979

korn5979 New Member

Sweet! Thanks dude! Downloaded and installed! So far no annoying notification..
  3. stetsonaw

Awesome, thanks for the validation. I have no way to test it as I've already done the fix the other way (editing the build.prop manually).

Something to note, after doing this (or before, doesn't matter) go into the root\cache folder and delete the *.zip file in there, it's clearly labeled with the OTA information in the filename to free up 3MB of valuable phone space.
  4. erikfig

erikfig New Member

Does this actually works? Because Pete said the same thing with the V0.4 Patch and after I installed I was still getting the OTA notifications. Can someone confirm that it works?
  5. stetsonaw

I manually changed what is in this last night. Before installing, delete the file from the /cache folder. then install the zip. When you boot, if you have the notification in the pulldow, clear it. Check in About Phone/Check for updates. Should say your phone is up to date.
  6. DHO

DHO New Member

erikfig I can confirm manual change works. So the patch should work too.

You need to restart, then pull down the menu and hit update. It will then see the change and dismiss the update.
  7. stetsonaw

Either of you still have the OTA file? If so can you post it? Thx!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. Jamister989

Jamister989 New Member

works perfectly, thanks!
  9. stetsonaw

Great to hear! And no need to post up the OTA. I rolled back my build.prop so that I could pull it again. Gonna see what I can do with the goodies inside it!

10. gotwillk

gotwillk New Member

i had it a couple days ago and i let it download, reboot, and install. the thing failed when trying to update and then i proceeded to boot it back up like normal. haven't received the update again and nothing broke on my phone. i didn't have to modify or change anything. i just backed up my rom though in case it did mess up.
  11. speakercode

speakercode New Member

same here, but I'm glad to see that a patch exists in case I have to do this. Thanks for the hard work guys!!
  12. gbouten

gbouten New Member

What if you are running ver 4?
  13. amajamar

amajamar New Member

I am running V0.5, but when I look at my build.prop it doesn't have these two lines at all.

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.1 FRG83D 75603 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.1/FRG83D/75603:user/release-keys

Do I need to add them, because there is nothing to modify...:icon_eek:
  14. alwerner

alwerner New Member

I just let the install fail and did a reboot and the update is gone. We'll see if it comes back.

Droid 1 with BBv5.

15. korn5979

korn5979 New Member

installed this patch last night and it is still working as of now. No problems so far. Currently running BBv0.5. dancedroid
  16. stetsonaw

There are 2 lines in your build.prop that are changed to what is above. The info you should be seeing in your "Stock bb5" is:

ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2 FRG22D 50454 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys

17. stetsonaw

Is I mentioned in the OP, this will work, will just look like you have BB5 installed unless you just modify the two long lines yourself. All this patch does is make it appear to Verizon that you have the update already.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. amajamar

amajamar New Member

I am lame! I just didn't look down far enough! Thanks!
  19. stetsonaw

Yes, lame you are! j/k. Let us know if you get it straightened out.
  20. stevegun

stevegun New Member

Im gonna try the easy way..make a backup as always download and install update and pray for fail. Currently runni ng BBv.5 FRG22 deoxed Black and Bold theme ,slayer 2.6.32.9 linux laptop 900mhz interactive kernel Launcher pro plus Compcache enabled.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
Search tags for this page

android 2.2.1 disable updates