Android 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EntropikOne, Dec 16, 2009.

1. EntropikOne

EntropikOne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone running android 2.1 on their droids yet? curious to know how risky this is right now.

2. Stigy

Stigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Based on my reading online it is not FULLY functional so unless you have an extra DROID I would definitely not do this to my daily phone.

3. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The comments I have seen mention a landscape issue with the apps drawer due to the Nexus not having a slide out keyboard and therefore the software on it not supporting landscape mode for the home pages. The other issue was something about not being able to turn off notifications (when used with Handscent etc.) and attempting to do cases the app to crash.

Those are the main 2 issues I saw..so far. I am sure there are many more at this VERY early stage of adapting the Nexus version of 2.1 on the Droid.

4. Quickster357

Quickster357 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The droid is getting the 2.1 update sometime in january or so I heard about from leaked info on HoFo. I think we can hold out until then, no?

5. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not for us root users. All future updates are patched to prevent the old root method. For us the only option now is to wait for a custom rom (unless you want to lose your root)...

6. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a source for this statement? I've heard rumors about this but no strict confirmation.

7. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It was on a google development page. It was already submitted for review and patched. Any future update past 2.0.1 will have the exploit patched.

I'm too lazy to find it again, but its on the same page from alldroid.org where the guy made the root method. If you read the bottom of his topic post you will see he talks about a vulnerability being patched, with the link to the google development page.

8. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lies. If you're upgrading, 2.1 has root.

9. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its January 22 is when the ota is going to be pushed maybe even earlier like they did with 2.0.1

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [citation needed] :p

Really, though - are you sure the next update isn't going to take away root access? It's already known that the security hole with updates will be closed up, so that stops us from re-rooting the device using the same method.

The recovery image and leaving backdoors will help some, but there's no promises that the update won't run a script that removes suid bits on all files in /system and reflash the recovery image. Personally, I'm going to wait until somebody else tries it out.

11. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The guys like humancyborg/[mbm]/SirPsychoS/MPurcell over at sholes.info have been working on porting the flan rom have verified that both adb and internal su access is still there when they built the rom. The thing is currently buggy as hell though.

12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All that means is that the rom itself doesn't actively seek-out and destroy all the su binaries we install. There's no reason to assume that when Verizon packages it up they won't decide to correct that with a quick little script. It would be a simple task to go through /system and /data and change the permissions on anything that is SUID root.

It IS known that all android versions past 2.0.1 will have the update bug patched so we won't be able to obtain root again if we lose it (not without a new method, that is). Unless downgrading is not blocked by newer images (downgrade to 2.0.1, root it, re-upgrade to 2.1).

As a side-note - if Verizon/Google knows their market, they won't actively destroy root access for those of us that have it. Downgrading the firmware, installing a rogue update, and re-upgrading is convoluted enough a procedure that it can't possibly effect a user accidentally, and yet it allows the hacking community the ability to still purchase a new 2.1 droid and root it. Here's hoping!

13. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was under the presumption that Google developers left the "root bug" in on purpose, to allow easy root access for those who know what they're doing...

14. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess if VZW/Google are on the fence about root, then perhaps they will weigh the pros of having more market exposure to root lovers against the increased customer service issues of "dead"/partially functioning phones. It seems illogical that they would have wanted to make root easy for a phone that is in it's infancy, as they knew there would be issues from the stock phone. And adding a layer of newbs (like myself) trying to do things to brick them who will be on the web, possibly complaining of phone issues that were user induced. That does not add up in my mind as a formula for a successful launch plan.

I just have my fingers crossed that there is as much effort being put into rooting 2.1 as there is with custom Rom development. I have certainly stepped over the line, but I am staying close enough for now that I can still see the line.

Craig

15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There's no evidence to suggest that anywhere. As much as we want to believe Google is looking out for us, they want to shut down root hacks as much as every other manufacturer.