Android 2.1 w/ SenseUI for Hero OUT NOW (what does this mean for us)

zfly9

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a re-post.

I see that xda has put an upgrade for Android 2.1 with SENSEUI for the GSM Hero...

Does this give us any hope?
Developers can work off that?
I'd like to try SenseUI on the Droid, but I realize porting that hasn't been done yet.

Just thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks,

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
the problem isn't porting... it's gaining root access on the Droid. either way, it may be awhile :(

edit: porting may be an issue too. not sure

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I see that xda has put an upgrade for Android 2.1 with SENSEUI for the GSM Hero...

I'd like to try SenseUI on the Droid, but I realize porting that hasn't been done yet.

Thanks,

Not trying to be jerk here but why not get the Passion when it's released if you like the sense UI? Please don't take me in the wrong context. It's a serious question :)

Reaction score

Thanks,

Not trying to be jerk here but why not get the Passion when it's released if you like the sense UI? Please don't take me in the wrong context. It's a serious question :)
For a lot of us, it's going to boil down to wether or not they release the passion before our 30p day return period is up. I love this droid, but I would like to at least be able to see the passion in person before my 30 days is up.

uptheforest

Reaction score
yeah doesn't look like any news will be leaked before my 30 day window is up(dec 6) so no passion for me.

I'm actually really satisfied with the droid but it would be perfect if it had a better camera and sense ui.

I speculated that sense on the droid would look awful considering the size of the droids screen compared to the hero's, so wouldn't we technically have to wait for the droid and the passion to be rooted before we could port sense ui?

db83

Reaction score
I should be getting my droid today. 30 days from today to hear about the passion. But I'll be honest, I'm not gonna hold my breath. There are so many rumors about it that conflict on when it is going to be out, I just don't know if it's even worth the hassle.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I should be getting my droid today. 30 days from today to hear about the passion. But I'll be honest, I'm not gonna hold my breath. There are so many rumors about it that conflict on when it is going to be out, I just don't know if it's even worth the hassle.

There's a couple things to remember. First there is a member of the VZW custoer team here. I haven't seen anything from him on that device. I did see that before the Droid was released to the public.

Second the camera is getting an update in 9 days. That "should" fix the issues permantly.

I will PM the guy from VZW and see if there is any news on the Passion and maybe he will com and post it for us. Have a great day :)

J-Buck

Reaction score
what is sense UI? and what kinda of UI does the droid have?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was waiting on the Passion but fell for the DROID in the meantime. I'll be staying with my Moto.

SoCal65

Reaction score
what is sense UI? and what kinda of UI does the droid have?

Sense is HTCs customized home screen interface.

Droid uses stock Android interface - but is customizable with 3rd party apps.

OP
Z

zfly9

Reaction score
I just figured since we are getting a 2.1 update "soon" and that there is already a version with SenseUI, it would be easier to port.

I honestly just like the full screen weather thing. I know theres a couple widgets, but they are half screen and you have to click on it to animate it.

brianr0131

Reaction score
I just figured since we are getting a 2.1 update "soon" and that there is already a version with SenseUI, it would be easier to port.

I honestly just like the full screen weather thing. I know theres a couple widgets, but they are half screen and you have to click on it to animate it.

Sense UI isn't full screen weather either. It's pretty much identical to Beautiful Widgets. When you click the widget Beautiful Widgets goes to full screen animated weather though.

I don't get the whole weather thing. I have the widget and it's nice, but seriously, just look out the window. It basically has the current conditions on the screen before you click it. I like to see hourly and 5 day forecasts for planning purposes though.

Everyone is in love with weather widgets but basically the widgets themselves offer little more than beauty. The helpful info comes from the actual programs in the form of forecasts. Who doesn't know what the weather outside is? LOL

I'm pretty sure the full screen animated weather you are talking about is on the HTC HD2 (Leo). I don't think the Eris or any android sense phone does that.

OP
Z

zfly9

Reaction score

Sense UI isn't full screen weather either. It's pretty much identical to Beautiful Widgets. When you click the widget Beautiful Widgets goes to full screen animated weather though.

I don't get the whole weather thing. I have the widget and it's nice, but seriously, just look out the window. It basically has the current conditions on the screen before you click it. I like to see hourly and 5 day forecasts for planning purposes though.

Everyone is in love with weather widgets but basically the widgets themselves offer little more than beauty. The helpful info comes from the actual programs in the form of forecasts. Who doesn't know what the weather outside is? LOL

I'm pretty sure the full screen animated weather you are talking about is on the HTC HD2 (Leo). I don't think the Eris or any android sense phone does that.

I thought when you slide to the screen that it's on (one of the 7 SenseUI screens) it animates... I don't recall having to click on it.

Haha you just wrote an essay how much you don't think its necessary, but you have it.