Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

gdoane

Reaction score
Just got my update notification. I'm on my second attempt after I got the download bar (gray) without any progress. I took out the battery and trying again. Bought my phone 1st week it came out, my # is from CA, but I live in HI.

That's something I wouldn't even consider doing, pulling the battery while the rom is being written to. Corrupting the brains is called 'bricking' and it pretty much takes a trip back to Motorola to fix it. So far it seems like Motorola did good, there's no stories of "It Killed My Droid" floating around but I wouldn't tempt fate.

I have done battery pulls on my Droid (usually because the GPS went stupid, last time it had me near Australia instead of Phoenix) but I always do the button power down first, long press on the top button and select the off menu item for a graceful exit.

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Just got my update notification. I'm on my second attempt after I got the download bar (gray) without any progress. I took out the battery and trying again. Bought my phone 1st week it came out, my # is from CA, but I live in HI.

That's something I wouldn't even consider doing, pulling the battery while the rom is being written to. Corrupting the brains is called 'bricking' and it pretty much takes a trip back to Motorola to fix it. So far it seems like Motorola did good, there's no stories of "It Killed My Droid" floating around but I wouldn't tempt fate.

Good to know now. I won't be doing battery pulls while it is doing its thing. Fortunately the update worked on my 5th attempt. Everything looks good so far.

the5rivers

Reaction score
I know when I received my OTA it didn't download until the third time I pressed it. I had the same problem where the status bar was just gray and after awhile it would stop and say click to restart. Just wait and keep pressing download and it will eventually work.

TeknoMonkey

Reaction score
Finally got the update this morning and installed it. After a quick battery pull, it appears that 2.1 is running on mine. Thanks for all those that have been giving info on when you got yours. It does appear it's somewhat random. I managed to buy my droid around end of January in TX. Hang in there for everyone that are still waiting for it.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I received the update notification while waiting to see the space shuttle Discovery launch (watching on TV, but using the phone too). Since I needed to use the phone, I didn't let it install.

I got my phone December 11th, and am in Michigan.

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
I updated my wife's Droid this morning. OTA. Nothing too fancy but my wife is happy with it..... that's all that counts. My phone shows an update available in my settings. I am not going to un-root and update. I like Ultimate Doid too much to go with the Verizon 2.1.

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
Update and battery improvements...

Like I said earlier, I did receive the update on Easter Morning. I was traveling this weekend using the nav system and was able to notice a stark difference between pre and post 2.1 update. I had a 3 hour drive both ways. When I left on Friday (before the update) I used my nav a usual. When I arrived at my destination, the phone was hot to the touch and was powered down to 50%. I had the phone connected to my car charger the whole time! I returned yesterday using my nav just as I had on the way down. When I finished my trip, my phone wasn't hot to the touch and still had 100% power.

Did anyone else notice this difference in battery performance?

I've also noticed how much smoother the phone acts. Browsing seems to have the biggest improvement. Scrolling is not as choppy as it used to be and the pinch zoom is a big improvement. I'd say the scrolling and zoom is on par with my wife's iTouch. I don't seem to have the lag issue with the live wallpapers; I see no difference between the live and static wallpapers. Perhaps it's because I've never rooted and have kept the phone stock, for the most part.

aryannia

Reaction score
So far, I enjoy the update, but how do I delete "Blogger Pictures"? I've tried the long press, as well as the menu button, but I cannot pull up the option to delete. It is four identical pics - would love to remove... Any help?

(Please pardon me if I'm posting in wrong place, I'm new to this forum.)

Thanks!

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Haven't rec'd an update notification yet, but I'm gonna ignore it. LOVIN' BB / 5 SCREENS / SMOKED GLASS / OVERCLOCK

how do I permanently delete the notification from the top bar when I get it?

TIA

m@tt

Reaction score
Question if your phone was turned off when the push happen would they push it again? Would I need to call Verizon?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far, I enjoy the update, but how do I delete "Blogger Pictures"? I've tried the long press, as well as the menu button, but I cannot pull up the option to delete. It is four identical pics - would love to remove... Any help?

(Please pardon me if I'm posting in wrong place, I'm new to this forum.)

Thanks!

:welcome: to the forum. I'd like to help but I have no idea where Blogger Pictures are. Can you tell me how you get there?

spillner

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I did receive the update on Easter Morning. I was traveling this weekend using the nav system and was able to notice a stark difference between pre and post 2.1 update. I had a 3 hour drive both ways. When I left on Friday (before the update) I used my nav a usual. When I arrived at my destination, the phone was hot to the touch and was powered down to 50%. I had the phone connected to my car charger the whole time! I returned yesterday using my nav just as I had on the way down. When I finished my trip, my phone wasn't hot to the touch and still had 100% power.

Did anyone else notice this difference in battery performance?

I've also noticed how much smoother the phone acts. Browsing seems to have the biggest improvement. Scrolling is not as choppy as it used to be and the pinch zoom is a big improvement. I'd say the scrolling and zoom is on par with my wife's iTouch. I don't seem to have the lag issue with the live wallpapers; I see no difference between the live and static wallpapers. Perhaps it's because I've never rooted and have kept the phone stock, for the most part.

I have noticed a huge boost in battery life. I too was able to use the nav for a long trip, as well as stream music through my bluetooth FM transmitter for hours and the battery only went down to 70% :icon_ banana:

I use helix launcher with 6 screens and for the most part its pretty smooth.