Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

Reaction score
manually updated...everything seems ok so far. will i still get a prompt to update OTA even though i did it manually?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't have to turn those off - that's a wife's tale - none of those take any battery unless they are actively being used.

I got the update when I woke up this morning too. The couple of new features are nice, but still pretty disappointed in this phone overall. I thought the battery life sucked in my old iPhone. It's disgusting that I have to turn off the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi when I'm not using them to help save the battery. Once I'm back to work and have to rely on my phone alot more than I do now it is going to become a major problem. Hopefully in this update they have worked on battery life in the way it manages it. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Hopefully it's for the better.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife's Droid which is a few weeks old got the update last night - it couldn't get the download though for a long time so I let it go and when I woke up it had it.

So I started the download and restarted the phone and it worked.

By the way - her's is exactly the same as mine and I manually did mine.

Further, doing it manually does ONE thing - it makes your phone ready for the update - it doesn't install anything. When you do the manual update you get the same download as everyone else - there is no download in update.zip.

Her process was exactly the same as mine when I did it manually. Except I didn't have to wait an extra 5 days.

mikearc

Reaction score
Well, like many others, got tired of waiting for the OTA update (in Houston). Did it manually, went real smooth. Booted up in two to three minutes. Sent my daughter a text using the mic, worked great. Now she may want me to manually update her droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, this is the first time today I've had to do this so not bad. Just a reminder guys, subject is the 2.1 update and rooting should be discussed in the hacking area. Thanks.

Rollingbones

Reaction score
I hate update teasers. I just turned on the Droid and had an update available notice (first thought, hot d@mn.. it's finally here) and when I went to it... it was an update for Peanut Gallery... How ironic is that!!!!

huntermr

Reaction score
Bluetooth Voice commands

I've been waiting for this update as most of you all have been, but specifically hoping that they might have fixed the lack of Bluetooth Voice Commands with this update. Apparently not. Anyone have any info on that? I can't belive that Motorola screwed up so badly when all their other phones handle that just fine. Now that Verizon has announced they will have the Iphone soon, if Motorola doesn't get this fixed by then, I'll be dumping my Droid just to get that one feature that I find more important then anything 2.1 has included. With my previous couple of Motorola phones, they integrated into my Car's Bluetooth system and I never even had to take the phone out of my pocket while driving. Just touch a button on my steering wheel and use voice commands to make a call. With this thing, its so much hassle to use it to make a call while driving, that I simply stopped using it while driving at all. Been waiting for the update, but I'm considering going back to my Motorola K1m and waiting or the Verizon IPhone now. Thanks for any info anyone has on this.

DantesGame

Reaction score

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
manually updated...everything seems ok so far. will i still get a prompt to update OTA even though i did it manually?

That's a good question. Yesterday I had the update.zip on the sd card, but I didn't do the manual update. Would it being on the card prevent me from getting the OTA update?

ecko23

Reaction score
THis update is crap all it does is make the phone lag and slow it down..Motorola can edited by mods.

johfiner

Reaction score
I am loving the update! pinch zooming on the browser is far superior to the button method. complicated pages seem to scroll much more smoothely too. I waited for the ota but everyone should do it manually, it's obviously the same update and you don't have to wait around for it!