Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

jawansherrod

Reaction score
I recieved the update but DIDN't recieve the 5 screens only recieved a few minor changes of what I've seen so far.It does say update 1 are they going to update in process steps or what?

Kolaz

Reaction score
I'm a little hesitant to upgrade manually, and I don't have access to internet or a computer right now because I'm at my beach house. Do you even need a computer really?

Also, I'm angry because my friend got his update 2 days ago and he lives right by me. I thought they'd do it by region, but apparently not. Still desperately waiting for the notification to popup. I get excited everytime I hear "droid', but it always ends up being just a text message...

shawnb2

Reaction score
I got the update when I woke up this morning too. The couple of new features are nice, but still pretty disappointed in this phone overall. I thought the battery life sucked in my old iPhone. It's disgusting that I have to turn off the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi when I'm not using them to help save the battery. Once I'm back to work and have to rely on my phone alot more than I do now it is going to become a major problem. Hopefully in this update they have worked on battery life in the way it manages it. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Hopefully it's for the better.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the update when I woke up this morning too. The couple of new features are nice, but still pretty disappointed in this phone overall. I thought the battery life sucked in my old iPhone. It's disgusting that I have to turn off the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi when I'm not using them to help save the battery. Once I'm back to work and have to rely on my phone alot more than I do now it is going to become a major problem. Hopefully in this update they have worked on battery life in the way it manages it. I'll give it some time and see what happens. Hopefully it's for the better.

You don't need to turn off your GPS, Bluetooth, and Wifi when you're not using them. It doesn't draw any power unless you are using them.

As far as battery life goes, it's not much different then my Blackberry Storm was. High tech phones take a lot of battery.

Get a docking station, car charger. whatever you need if you don't have enough power in one days time. Invest in another battery if you need to.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have noticed a huge increase in battery life since the update.
I have noticed this as well.

I never had bad battery life before. I considered it very good. But this update has taken it to another level. It's very noticeable.

blufftontiger

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 64GB
Happy Easter!!! I got the update this morning as an Easter gift. I love all the updates and the phone is much faster.

gdoane

Reaction score
I recieved the update but DIDN't recieve the 5 screens only recieved a few minor changes of what I've seen so far.It does say update 1 are they going to update in process steps or what?

I don't think there are any five screens. I get lost enough on the three as it is anyway. I keep accidentally moving that google search bar off to one side or the other and then I have to chase the sucker back to the center screen again. If I had five screens I'd always be chasing it down.

It took me a while to find the speech-to-text on this update too. Apparently it doesn't show up with the keyboard slid out because it thinks if you got the keyboard slid out that you're wanting to type something. It makes sense in hindsight. The thing is, I usually wake the DROID up by sliding that keyboard out to get its attention because it's easier than trying to find that dinky recessed button on top of the phone.

So to use the new voice-to-text, I'm going to wind up opening the keyboard, waking up the DROID, closing the keyboard and getting at the microphone button on the screen keys.

That could have been engineered just a bit better. What I would have done would be to have a tap of the camera button wake up the phone. I'm always hitting that button even when I don't want to take a picture.

Raydee35

Reaction score
Hmmm I don't see any speech to text after the update, what am I doing wrong?

Miniblue

Reaction score
I did the manual update

I got tired of waiting and did the manual update. It was simple and installed with no trouble. Kept all installed apps and data. I had previously deleted the launcher posted elsewhere so I wouldn't have issues. Plain stock with three screens and it works great. Add some folders for your apps and you don't need more than three screens. I use a picture of my granddaughter for wallpaper so the 3d ones are not in play.

Yes, it was worth jumping the gun as the phone works better.