Android 2.1 released

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Redflea, Jan 11, 2010.

1. reWired

reWired Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure given a little bit of time the Devs will have this up and running (rooted) with all kinds of android goodness. :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

2. jaman1020

jaman1020 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the need to hurry up...im getting frisky!

3. krazykid6911

krazykid6911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha im getting anxious too. Getting bored of 2.0.1 with the 2.1 Launcher and Gallery!

4. jaman1020

jaman1020 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the only thing I've put on my droid is the news widget, just because I needed one anyway, I've got a need for everything to be fast and efficient, and I dont feel like dealing with all the bugs right now

5. Redflea

Redflea Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You can have most of what's good in 2.1 now (over 2.01) via normal APK installs and in a couple remaining cases via root to push the app...

2.1 is disappointing if it's only going to be updates to a few apps...no fix for BT voice dialing, no improvements in email attachment handling or viewing embedded images in email, etc. I don't need wiggly wallpaper, I want usable features/functionality!

6. sparticus

sparticus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so maybe we can get spare parts now

7. Johnny_Mac

Johnny_Mac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Too many bugs for now

I just restored my Droid back to 2.0.1 after trying out 2.1. There were too many glitches and apps that didn't work properly with it. Even before adding any apps to it with a clean install it was glitchy and basic stuff couldn't decide if it wanted to run right or not. It definitely needs to be optimized for the Droid before it is officially released because battery life was atrocious! I went to bed with a full charge and woke up in the morning with about 10 minutes left on my battery before it shutdown on me. I've decided that 2.0.1 is much better at the moment and will wait for the official release of 2.1. Sure was pretty though and I LOVED the 5 home screens.

Johnny

8. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    glitchy eh? i haven't ran into any glitches at all... 2.1 (79 build) is much more stable than 2.0.1 with Home++

did you forget to clear the cache and data before you installed?

9. MarkDF

MarkDF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not particularly interested in developing for the Droid, but I was wondering if there's a simply way to install the emulator on my PC without installing the whole package. Anybody know?

Thanks.

10. Big Cam

Big Cam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will the OTA upgrade be available on 01/22/10??

I am getting a new droid on 01/29/10, will it have 2.1 or will I have to upgrade it?

11. chrisCRISIS

chrisCRISIS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was having the same problems as johnny and i did clear data and cache before installing 2.1.0.41 build. live wallpapers still weren't working. i was getting random app launcher force closes when i wasn't trying to run an apps, bad battery life, my music would randomly shut up. sketchy scrolling through screens and the 3d app launcher, wasn't smooth at all. just overall glitchy. reverted back this morning. i used the 2.1 rom in the stickied thread in this forum, maybe there's a more updated one that i couldn't find.

12. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 was very glitchy for me and much slower than 2.0.1. Not worth it. I'm waiting on the official now. I did have all the apps that were pulled from 2.1 but decided to get rid of the launcher because it was slower for me too.